Silent Ultrabook with a good display?

alcoholbob

Diamond Member
May 24, 2005
My Surface Pro 5 finally croaked so I'm in the market for a new laptop (battery swelled and basically blew up the whole system). I came from Macbook Air previously. I'm looking for a smallish laptop that's light (~2.5lbs?), fanless, with a good IPS display (high ppi if possible) and decent graphics performance for when I occasionally play some esports games, so I generally try to get something with Intel Iris graphics. My problem seems to be, the entire market for what I'm looking for seems to be either Surface Pro or installing Windows on a Macbook. The Dell XPS 13 seems like a wannabe Macbook, but people complain about the fan noise. So while it looks the part, it's missing the silent aspect. The new Tiger Lake i5s with Xe graphics look interesting and might be what I'd like to have hardware-wise, are there any other options?

Last edited:

damian101

Aug 11, 2020
There is no passively cooled laptop with an Iris iGPU on the market. And also no passively cooled laptops with AMD APUs.

alcoholbob

Diamond Member
May 24, 2005
There is no passively cooled laptop with an Iris iGPU on the market. And also no passively cooled laptops with AMD APUs.

Doesn't the i5 Surface Pro 7 have an Iris iGPU? I hope the Surface Pro 8 Tiger Lake refresh will have a Xe chip on the i5 model.

alcoholbob

Diamond Member
May 24, 2005
Isn't that a tablet?

Every retailer I know of categorizes it as a laptop for returns and warranty purposes.

You can certainly use it as a tablet, same as the surface book laptop, but neither are particularly good tablets, as they are big, heavy, giant bezels, pretty slow compared to a snappy arm cpu in terms of responsiveness.

Last edited: