Signing your name at the end of posts

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Led Zeppelin

Diamond Member
Oct 15, 2002
Originally posted by: ohtwell
I sign my name at the end of my posts. It isn't my nik though!!

: ) Amanda

So save yourself a few keystrokes and change your nic to Amanda. Everyone here knows your name by now, so it's kind of pointless to keep spamming it after every one of your posts. Oh, you may not want to lose your 'claim to fame', I see.

: ) LedZeppelin

Luagsch

Golden Member
Apr 25, 2003
i guess it's just that while flying through the posts i normaly don't look who wrote it (with time you can tell it by the sigs), so it's a good way to get attention... :p

Luagsch (yes right, Luagsch, everybody saw it? Luagsch is the nick. Luagsch= attention ho)

Miramonti

Lifer
Aug 26, 2000
this is true, it doesn't make sense, and I'm not gonna sign my name anymore. :)

-dexter333

Encryptic

Diamond Member
May 21, 2003
<rant>

::sigh:: I have one thing to say about this issue: WHO GIVES A FLYING FVCK?!?!

If you want to sign your posts, fine by me. I would do it, except some chimp would probably flame me for it and we'd waste endless amounts of bandwidth arguing about it, as happened during my short-lived time on Penny Arcade's forums and in this thread.

Yes, it's redundant. Get over it and find an issue worth flaming someone over, like the inane drivel wduckdung insists on posting.

</rant>

-Encryptic
rolleye.gif
:disgust: :frown: :|

MithShrike

Diamond Member
May 5, 2002
Originally posted by: Xionide
The reason people do it is to save you time. You dont have to look over to the left every time you post. WE ARE TRYING TO HELP YOU SO CHUT UP N008.

-Xionide

Aye!

LordMaul

Lifer
Nov 16, 2000
You KNOW that deep down inside - really deep down - you love it.

And because I'm such a hell of a guy, I'm about to give you more of what you love.

- Mauly Baby
(Oooh yeah, you like that?)

Placer14

Platinum Member
Sep 17, 2001
Originally posted by: LordMaul
You KNOW that deep down inside - really deep down - you love it.

And because I'm such a hell of a guy, I'm about to give you more of what you love.

- Mauly Baby
(Oooh yeah, you like that?)

You're a GUY!?!?!? .........

Um....i could've sworn I saw a females pic posted as being you....

UGH......the thoughts I've had about you. *gags* UGH!!

:p :D

ohtwell

Lifer
Jan 6, 2002
Originally posted by: LedZeppelin

So save yourself a few keystrokes and change your nic to Amanda. Everyone here knows your name by now, so it's kind of pointless to keep spamming it after every one of your posts. Oh, you may not want to lose your 'claim to fame', I see.

You think I do it to be noticed? Well, if so, you are completely wrong. Nobody would notice or care if I stoped doing it. I just like the way it looks.

LordMaul

Lifer
Nov 16, 2000
Originally posted by: LedZeppelin

Excellent. Led proves his ability to be a total asshole yet again.

/golf clap

I always wonder why people do it on forums.

Here's my perception: People do it to establish some warmth/familiarity/closeness. I guess to them it seems like a distance when people do not sign their names. Notice people who tend to sign their names tend to be people who in one way or the other have either made a lot of friends at the forum or at least haven't offended members. They also tend to be the types that perceive participation at forums and relationships formed at forums as real and serious, hence avoid stepping on toes.

For a few others it's just a plain habit.

I don't mind if people sign their names if we're friends (i.e., 'net friends/real life friends), but I find it a little awkward when non-friends (not enemies, but just acquaintances) sign their names. I read that as some desire to get close as friends. It just isn't my thing, but I won't say anything to them--as they should be able to sign whatever they want. :)