Discussion Sigh....The Oscars (2022)

Page 8 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Artorias

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2014
Alopecia is just a medical term for hair loss which millions experience every year. Nothing new and happening since the dawn of man.

Jim's got a great take. Comedians already going to start feeling more tense because of this.

pauldun170

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2011
I must be some sort of weirdo and maybe wasn't raised right
The Smiths marriage - None of my business and has no relevance to a film Industry awards show.
The Smiths religious beliefs - None of my business and has no relevance to a film Industry awards show.
The Smiths profession - It's a fucking job and one of them got recognized at an industry awards show for how they did their job.

We all win in that we get a little entertainment because one of the Smiths did something internet tough guys like to pretend they are going to do.

Anyway...back to the lols

MtnMan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2004
I file the Oscars just like the Emmy's, Tony's, Grammy's, etc., and pro sports (which includes college sports), including NASCAR wins and losses under the heading... "who the fuck cares, and why?".

LikeLinus

Lifer
Jul 25, 2001
We can't let the Oscars have all the drama. Pulls out popcorn and chair
The only drama here is nerds pounding on their keyboards in P&N. Let's be honest here.... lol. Not sure Smith and Rock really is worth any time of theirs. They are more focus on blaming each other, rather than realize they are both the problem.

LikeLinus

Lifer
Jul 25, 2001
I must be some sort of weirdo and maybe wasn't raised right
The Smiths marriage -A bullshit marriage to help their careers.
The Smiths religious beliefs - Bullshit because I'm not sure their "religion" allows them to bang half of hollywood. It's an excuse for them to bang all others and still keep their fake relationship seem "real", lol.
The Smiths profession - It's a fucking job and one of them got recognized at an industry awards show for how they did their job. The issue is the other got butthurt for getting mad fun of, the other decided to get violent for no real reason.

We all win in that we get a little entertainment because one of the Smiths did something internet tough guys like to pretend they are going to do. This is where you are wrong. It doesn't have to do with an "internet tough guy". If ANY of us walked up to someone and physically assaulted someone, we wouldn't be getting a free pass and the LAPD wouldn't just let us go. You're confusing the world of the super rich celebrities and normal people. You won't see Will Smith getting gunned down for smacking Chris down.

Anyone remember when Will said he would never cuss in a movie or public because of his grandmother? Honestly, that whole family is fucked. Pretty much, the perfect Hollywood couple!!! Their kids are going to turn out great. Point being...It's ALL bullshit. Surprise!

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
The only drama here is nerds pounding on their keyboards in P&N. Let's be honest here.... lol. Not sure Smith and Rock really is worth any time of theirs. They are more focus on blaming each other, rather than realize they are both the problem.
How is Rock part of the problem?

LikeLinus

Lifer
Jul 25, 2001
How is Rock part of the problem?
I don't think he is, any more than Ricky was. They are absolutely there to roast and make jokes. What Will did was totally inappropriate and unwanted. That said, not everyone feels the same. I said they (others) are more focus on blaming a single person.

pauldun170

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2011
Anyone remember when Will said he would never cuss in a movie or public because of his grandmother? Honestly, that whole family is fucked. Pretty much, the perfect Hollywood couple!!! Their kids are going to turn out great. Point being...It's ALL bullshit. Surprise!

Why do you know so much about the Smith family?
You must be really into actors and actresses personal lives. Do you read tabloids and TMZ all day?
Whatever floats your boat.

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
Anyone think Smith would have walked on stage if Jason Mamoa had made that same joke? Smith picking on a smaller guy who was just doing his job.

We don't even know if Rock was aware of her condition.
No way he would've done it to a bigger guy. Complete pussy move. He really should have been removed from the theater.

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
Why do you know so much about the Smith family?
You must be really into actors and actresses personal lives. Do you read tabloids and TMZ all day?
Whatever floats your boat.
"Will Smith don't gotta cuss in his raps to sell records
Well I do, so fuck him and fuck you too."

Pretty common knowledge that Will Smith doesn't cuss to anyone that paid any attention to music in the 90s.

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
I really cannot believe that they bothered to carry out such a detailed and extensive opinion poll over this. Just look at this thing - responses broken down by every possible category - from political party to respondants' attitudes to corporal punishment for children (decidedly creepily described as "a good, hard, spanking").

Is this topic really that important?

1648684394167.png

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
I really cannot believe that they bothered to carry out such a detailed and extensive opinion poll over this. Just look at this thing - responses broken down by every possible category - from political party to respondants' attitudes to corporal punishment for children (decidedly creepily described as "a good, hard, spanking").

View attachment 59363
I really have a hard time believing 50% of people agree with slapping a comedian. But if so, how sad for humanity.

Reactions: 13Gigatons

Artorias

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2014
Apparently they asked him to leave and he said no. Not sure why saying no was an option.

I understand sporting events and private formal gatherings like an award show are different, but there really should have been several security guards on the case immediately. Cut to commercial and have them leave immediately.

No not really but it does set a bad precedent. Comedians should be able to their job without the fear of violence.

Reactions: Zorba

pauldun170

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2011
"Will Smith don't gotta cuss in his raps to sell records
Well I do, so fuck him and fuck you too."

Pretty common knowledge that Will Smith doesn't cuss to anyone that paid any attention to music in the 90s.
Not that bit.
The whole everything else but.

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
I really have a hard time believing 50% of people agree with slapping a comedian. But if so, how sad for humanity.

Really? I was thinking maybe if one got slapped every now and then it would encourage them to come up with smarter, less bullying, less sexist, material. It's interesting that that survey (as confusingly presented as the results are) shows women more likely to say Rock was 'wrong'.

Reminds me of when Rickie Gervaise said Susan Boyle 'looked like a Mong'. Comics seemed to have backslid since the '80s made sexism and racism and other forms of bullying in comedy unfashionable.
It's a similar argument to the one about 'punching Nazis' I suppose. It's kind-of an escalation. Maybe Smith should have just got in his face and shouted at him.

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
Really? I was thinking maybe if one got slapped every now and then it would encourage them to come up with smarter, less bullying, less sexist, material. It's interesting that that survey (as confusingly presented as the results are) shows women more likely to say Rock was 'wrong'.

Reminds me of when Rickie Gervaise said Susan Boyle 'looked like a Mong'. Comics seemed to have backslid since the '80s made sexism and racism and other forms of bullying in comedy unfashionable.
It's a similar argument to the one about 'punching Nazis' I suppose. It's kind-of an escalation. Maybe Smith should have just got in his face and shouted at him.
If you can't take comedy, don't go. Punching a comedian is absolutely nothing like punching a Nazi, WTF is wrong with you?

Smith should've at most yelled up "too far." Meanwhile, bald jokes have been around forever, even used by Will Smith himself multiple times.

Reactions: purbeast0

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
Lol, most people don't even know that Smith had a singing career.
I'm guessing you have some data to back that up? If by most people you mean kids born after 2000 and adults born before 1950, or people in Asia, I guess you might be right.

I also said nothing about "most." But it was extremely common knowledge to anyone that paid attention to 90s music. I highly doubt a majority of people that paid attention to 90s music don't know Will Smith was a rapper.

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
I'm guessing you have some data to back that up? If by most people you mean kids born after 2000 and adults born before 1950, or people in Asia, I guess you might be right.

I also said nothing about "most." But it was extremely common knowledge to anyone that paid attention to 90s music. I highly doubt a majority of people that paid attention to 90s music don't know Will Smith was a rapper.
Grew up in the 90s, paid as much attention to music as most (not rap or hip hop mind you), and aside from the soundtrack to MIB I couldn't name a single thing he did.

You have data to back up 'most people know'? I'm quite confident that more people know him to be an actor than a rapper.

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
Grew up in the 90s, paid as much attention to music as most (not rap or hip hop mind you), and aside from the soundtrack to MIB I couldn't name a single thing he did.

You have data to back up 'most people know'? I'm quite confident that more people know him to be an actor than a rapper.
I literally never said anything about most people, you did. Then you even admitted that you knew he did the soundtrack to MIB. I'm sure you also knew he did the Fresh Prince intro.

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
I literally never said anything about most people, you did. Then you even admitted that you knew he did the soundtrack to MIB. I'm sure you also knew he did the Fresh Prince intro.
You said he was common knowledge that he didn't cuss in his raps, I countered by saying most people didn't even know he rapped at all. Common knowledge about his not-cussing status implies most even knew that he rapped period. I sure as hell had no idea he didn't cuss in his raps.

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
The Academy should revoke the award and ban him from future events.
Nah, he should keep his reward, I guess he earned it (even tho I never saw that movie) But he should be banned from any future academy endeavors.