Solved! Shuttle GFX card compatibility list

Wavey78

Jan 3, 2024
Hi,
I have installed a Gigabyte R7 260X OC 2GB GDDR5 in my Shuttle SH67 barebone but now the machine wont post to BIOS.
The Shuttle compatibility list shows the MSI version of this card as compatible. MSI R7-260X 2GD5.
I have assumed the Gigabyte version would also be ok.

I have tried also with an external 1000W PSU incase the Shuttle PSU was not up to the job.
The GFX card works fine in my main PC.

Can anybody offer some advice?
Is there a trick to enabling GFX cards in the Shuttle barbone units?

Thanks,
Wavey.

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
Welcome to the forums Wavey.

I'd start by clearing the CMOS. Sometimes that fixes issues with external graphics. If that doesn't get the card to display, and I am presuming you have an Intel CPU with onboard graphics. Plug the display cable into the appropriate video output on the mainboard. Then go in the bios and set it to dedicated/external graphics first. It may be under a different name so check your manual for the correct setting. Most will auto detect by default but sometimes manually setting it is necessary.

If you still don't get video, and you were using a different cable with your main PC where it worked, try that one with the Shuttle. You can also try a different video output on the card in case one is faulty, It is an old card after all. But it is period correct for your system so there shouldn't be any compatibility issues between them. That card has a 115W tdp so it isn't a power hog either. And you already used another PSU so that's not the issue either.

Good luck and let me know how you make out.

Steltek

Diamond Member
Mar 29, 2001
The BIOS setting that @DAPUNISHER is referring to would be in the chipset settings section of the BIOS. It would have to do with graphics initialization and will probably have options IGD (integrated graphics only) or PEG/IGD (which is video card first, integrated graphics second). You want it set for PEG/IGD.

You may also want to check the Shuttle website to ensure you are running the most recent BIOS.

I very, very vaguely recall that there was an issue with one version (maybe version 2.0?) of the motherboard in those things booting with video cards that required a BIOS upgrade to fix.

If the BIOS downloads are still there (and, they probably are as Shuttle is pretty decent about keeping stuff like that), the website should have instructions on the BIOS download screen to use in determining which version of the motherboard you have.

Last edited:
Reactions: DAPUNISHER

Wavey78

Jan 3, 2024
Many thanks for the replies and suggestions.
I had played about with that IGD/PCI setting in BIOS but it did not work. But your comments prompted me to look again and I noticed a memory setting underneath that was set to the minimum of 64mb. I increased this to the max 1024mb and it worked!!

Thanks again!