Shuttle AK31A core voltage increase problem on 1700+ XP

GtPrOjEcTX

Lifer
Jul 3, 2001
Whenever I go into the bios to change the voltage, +.025, +.050, +.075, +.100, ect.. It doesn't do it.

It says the current core voltage at the top. Default is set at 1.75, but it only shows around 1.7. When I increase it, it doesn't change what is being shown, [edit]I reboot after every change to the voltage, and when it comes back, it is still showing ~1.7[/edit] nor is it letting me get the overclocking results I want. I can only get it to post at 143fsb, nothing higher. I bought the alpha pal8045 and 48cfm loud fan so I could do some overclocking darn it.

One stick of Crucial pc2100 256mg btw, unregistered nonECC

I want to be able to push it up to show 2000+XP, a fsb of 148 should do that.

I have a promise ata/66 pci card running both of my hard drives, that wouldn't be in issue I don't think though.

Any thoughts? I wouldn't think that I'd have to unlock the proc to increase the voltage would I?:confused:

o1die

Diamond Member
Jul 8, 2001
Are you using motherboard monitor 5? That setup should show any voltage changes, unless you configured it wrong.

GtPrOjEcTX

Lifer
Jul 3, 2001
no, I am not using that. I'm not sure why it would be necessary, motherboard monitor just looks at what the mobo reports, instead of actually going deep down and seeing what the voltage is? if that's the case it would be useless.

Pabster

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
The voltage regulation problems are well documented on AK31A, and Shuttle has recognized this issue. But they have not done anything to fix it, and I wouldn't bet on them doing so.

I've had core voltages as low as 1.62 on a few AK31A's at the "Default" setting. I had to try all the + voltages to find one that would get anywhere near 1.75 (usually just under or a bit over).

GtPrOjEcTX

Lifer
Jul 3, 2001
dang, so basically I can't do jack.

I wish I would've known about this problem in the board before, I would've opted for the epox k8ha+ instead

ST4RCUTTER

Platinum Member
Feb 13, 2001
GtPrOjEcTX,

I think the problem is just in the showing of the modified voltage. When I change my voltage it still shows the default 1.75V, but MBM or Hmonitor show that the voltage has increased. This BIOS problem is well known as Pab has mentioned. I for one hope Shuttle corrects it with a BIOS update, but as this is my first Shuttle, I can't speak for their product support.

GtPrOjEcTX

Lifer
Jul 3, 2001
ok, downloaded motherboard monitor, then realized that Sandra does it as well, got it going at 1.76 volts, now at 1900+ (1.58ghz) pretty stable, ran the cpu burn in 30 times from sandra. any other suggestions to do to see if its stable enough to keep here?