Shure vs Ultimate Ears

jdoggg12

Platinum Member
Aug 20, 2005
I'm looking for decent quality headphones for listening to music at work. How do the various models of Shure headphones compare to these?

I want to stay below $100 after taxes/shipping. Thx!

keeftea

Feb 23, 2006
i love my shure's. couldnt ask for anything better. That being said, a lot of people like seinheisers. I would listen to both.

LS21

Banned
Nov 27, 2007
well, i like my shures, and ive owned about 8 pairs of sennheiser and ive liked NONE of them

LikeLinus

Lifer
Jul 25, 2001
Originally posted by: LS21
well, i like my shures, and ive owned about 8 pairs of sennheiser and ive liked NONE of them

Wow, either you're a liar or REALLY stupid. You purchased 8 pairs of a headphone company you hate? Idiot.

Feb 19, 2001
Below 100 can't you get SuperFi 3s? If you're below 100 you're dealing with E2Cs which suck. I've tried e2cs which are ok, e3cs which are really flat and then e4cs. None of which can compare with my SF5 Pros. However if you want accurate sound the e4cs aren't really bad. My SF5 Pros are definitely a little more fun but that will run you $160.

Sorry, once I moved past the $30 department with Sony Fontopias you can't just go back to those cheap Sennheisers and Marshmallows or whatever people LOVE. Invest in a good pair and you'll NEVER look back. iPod headphones disgust me btw.

The J

Aug 30, 2004
Over the past couple of years, I've had Shure E2Cs, V-Moda Vibes, and now UE Super.fi 3s. The E2Cs I thought were really boring sounding because they had no highs, but they isolated well. The V-Moda Vibes are very "fun" sounding, with thumping bass and much better highs than the E2Cs. However, they do not isolate well at all and some might find the bass to be too much. The Super.fi 3s are my favorite so far and seem to take the best from the previous two: Great isolation (I've used them as earplugs when using an orbital sander just fine) and (to me) the most balanced sound of the three. Some have complained that the bass is lacking, but I think it's just fine. Each of them I got for around $60-70.

Muadib

Lifer
May 30, 2000
Originally posted by: uhohs
i like etymotics. o.o

Which ones do you have? I tried a pair about 2 years ago, and hated them because they had no bass. It killed me to return them, because the price was right.

Jodiuh

Oct 25, 2005
OP:
I returned my Shure e3c's after listening to a friend's Etymotic er6i's. They were quite a bit less $ and more detailed imo. I've also heard the Super.fi 3 something's and they were pretty nice. My next upgrade will probably be the 5's as the 2G touch is just begging for more, hehe. A lot of the sound is very dependent on the source too. I had tried the Sony NWZ 616 and there was definitely a warmer sound w/ more bass. I do miss that, but the touch seems to play nice w/ all the frequencies and has a massive soundstage. Make sure you purchase them from a place w/ a nice return policy. And did you list your source? Also agreeing w/ the other guy, head-fi's the place to lose yourself. :D

To the guy dissing Senns:
Oh and my first pair of Sennheisers, the HD580's let me in on a little bit of heaven. They are marvelous from a good source and amp.

And of course I have to agree w/ DLeRium in that Sony EX 71's have too much flabby bass and the ipod buds go right in to the trash.

Muadib

Lifer
May 30, 2000
Originally posted by: Jodiuh
OP:
I returned my Shure e3c's after listening to a friend's Etymotic er6i's. They were quite a bit less $ and more detailed imo. I've also heard the Super.fi 3 something's and they were pretty nice. My next upgrade will probably be the 5's as the 2G touch is just begging for more, hehe. A lot of the sound is very dependent on the source too. I had tried the Sony NWZ 616 and there was definitely a warmer sound w/ more bass. I do miss that, but the touch seems to play nice w/ all the frequencies and has a massive soundstage. Make sure you purchase them from a place w/ a nice return policy. And did you list your source? Also agreeing w/ the other guy, head-fi's the place to lose yourself. :D

To the guy dissing Senns:
Oh and my first pair of Sennheisers, the HD580's let me in on a little bit of heaven. They are marvelous from a good source and amp.

And of course I have to agree w/ DLeRium in that Sony EX 71's have too much flabby bass and the ipod buds go right in to the trash.

So do you have the er6i's now? I'm pretty sure I had the er6p's. What's your take on the bass of the er6i?

Jodiuh

Oct 25, 2005
The Sony NWZ series definitely brings out some bass most of the time. It felt as if there was a bit of assistance from the device. The new 2G Touch tends to let the recording bring out the bass in the ER6i. Overall, it's probably not the bud for a bass lover or even someone that prefers a more punchy, warm sound. That said, it's quite detailed for the $, but I'll be looking for something else soon. Good luck!

uhohs

Diamond Member
Oct 29, 2005
Originally posted by: Muadib
Originally posted by: uhohs
i like etymotics. o.o

Which ones do you have? I tried a pair about 2 years ago, and hated them because they had no bass. It killed me to return them, because the price was right.

i have the altec lansing im716's which are rebadged etymotics. they're generally considered to be superior to the er6 and slightly below the er4p. they are bass light, but that's fine with me.

Dougmeister

Sep 15, 2004
I had a pair of Ultimate Ears Super.fi 5 EB last year and returned them. In my opinion (non-audiophile) the base response was terrific, but I could hear "hiss" in very quiet songs, esp. instrumentals/classical/etc.

Blurry

Mar 19, 2002
I second the vote for the Etymotic Er6i.

Weak bass - but at its price level, the clarity is unmatched.
If you prefer neutral and accurate sound, it is defintely one to take a look at.

thecoolnessrune

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2005
I got a pair of UE Super.fi.ED and had the opposite reaction from doug. I think they are the best headphones I've listened to, and perfect for hip-hop music. Sounds like a real adequately sized subwoofer in your ear. Bass isn't missing like in most headphones. I didn't hear any hissing or popping in them and indeed prefer them to any of my other headphones. Only downside to me is that they are relatively uncomfortable and you'll have a hard time not wanting to adjust them every 5 minutes.