Shower Pan: Cast Iron, Steel, Swanstone, or Cultured Marbled?

Tommy2000GT

Golden Member
Jun 19, 2000
I'm remodeling my bathroom and need to choose a shower pan in 60x32 or 60x34. I don't want to do a tiled shower pan anymore because the grout was hard to clean and came loose or cracked. So I've decide to install a 1 piece shower pan.

I like the Kohler enameled cast iron pans. I looked at several of models and the shower curb is not deep in the 60" long versions. Kohler has only one deep one (Purist) but it only comes in 48x36 which will not work with my bathroom. I plan to use a shower curtain instead of a door so I need a pan with a deep curb.

Bootz has a deep enameled steel pan but the interior is width is all weird. The 32" width version has the same interior floor space as the 30" because they make the curb and threshold a lot wider.

Swanstone has deep ones but I heard they flex and discolor.

I found a local place that sells a cultured marble pan but they seem so 1980's.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
My suggestion is to use a shower door. A curtain will be a never ending series of minor floods. Doors can be inexpensive, and are easy to install.

Reactions: herm0016
Jun 18, 2000
Have you looked at Dreamline shower pans? I put a 36x60 one my shower this past year and really like it. The curb is fairly low so it may not work well for a curtain.

Before I renovated, I had a 3x3 fiberglass alcove shower that had a curtain and it worked fine with no splash out. The new (larger) shower has a glass surround, so I can't attest to how well it'll work.

jmagg

Platinum Member
Nov 21, 2001
Cast Iron can chip and rust, Fiberglass is easy to repair, Acrylic is tough to repair. I chose a second tier Kohler (Sterling) fiberglass pan and set it in mortar. Its been in a few years and still looks new and silent. I use a curtain which we do need to be diligent to prevent spills but it works. I also provided nailers in wall for future door installation.

Nov 20, 2009
I has a low-curb 36x60 shower pan in the basement full bath. Because it is the basement, with acid stained flooring, the aspect of water being a problem is minimal in that bath towel can make for a quick and easy clean up. How about a poured concrete space, sealed to capture the water?

The best shower I've ever personally experienced was in this hotel suite in Torquey, England, UK. This place was run down yet built around the turn of the last century. The shower itself was walk-in and measured eight feet wide and ten feet long. All tiled and the floor subtly tilted away from the shower heads toward the opening where a French drain removed the water but at a distance no water from the heads could ever make it out. Wife loved it and wants one just like that but our little McMansion just isn't accommodating enough for a shower of that size.

iRONic

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2006
I'm in a wheelchair. My roll-in shower is a custom Schluter/Ditra/Tile masterpiece!

You don't have to be disabled to put this in your home but once you do the rest of your fam will be using that shower. Book it.

Nov 20, 2009
I'm in a wheelchair. My roll-in shower is a custom Schluter/Ditra/Tile masterpiece!

You don't have to be disabled to put this in your home but once you do the rest of your fam will be using that shower. Book it.
Picture?

iRONic

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2006
Ohman... my wife would kick my ass if she new I put these up. Shitty cell pics;

20200919_130646.jpg

My side

20200919_130646.jpg

20200919_130612.jpg20200919_130646.jpg20200919_130612.jpg

20200919_130554(1).jpg20200919_130646.jpg20200919_130612.jpg20200919_130554(1).jpg

Linear drain

Reactions: bbhaag

iRONic

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2006
That's the second roll-in I designed. Previous one was a 36 x 60 pre-formed base set in mortar. It came with a mild angle ramp and integrated 1/2" rubber water 'curb'. Functional but 100% less nice looking. I'll scare up a pic or 2 later if you're interested.

bbhaag

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2011
That's fucking baller man I love the way it looks especially the roll-in design with the linear drain. If you don't mind me asking what are the overall dimensions of the shower? You mentioned the previous one was 36x60 is the one you posted the pics of the same?

Last edited:

iRONic

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2006
Thanks. This one is 38"x90". 2" deeper to acommodate the linear drain, 30" wider because my wife and grandson insisted! Heh heh...

Here's the one I did in my previous home;

IMG_0600.jpgIMG_0600.jpg

IMG_1023.jpgIMG_1023.jpg

IMG_1618.jpgIMG_1618.jpgIMG_0600.jpgIMG_1023.jpgIMG_1618.jpgIMG_0600.jpgIMG_1023.jpgIMG_1618.jpg

Reactions: Mr.IncrediblyBored

Mandres

Jun 8, 2011
Great thread, I've been thinking and planning for exactly the same thing in our bathroom. Considering the cost (and weight, my master bath is on the 2nd floor) I'll probably go with a fiberglass pan set in a mortar bed.

I've been looking at different waterproofing systems. The Kurdi mat looks nice, but it's pretty pricey. I'm thinking a few coats of roll-on membrane over green wallboard will probably be fine.

jmagg

Platinum Member
Nov 21, 2001
Great thread, I've been thinking and planning for exactly the same thing in our bathroom. Considering the cost (and weight, my master bath is on the 2nd floor) I'll probably go with a fiberglass pan set in a mortar bed.

I've been looking at different waterproofing systems. The Kurdi mat looks nice, but it's pretty pricey. I'm thinking a few coats of roll-on membrane over green wallboard will probably be fine.
I went directly over Durock taped with thinset and grouted with Fusion Pro premix grout. The grout claims no need to seal and it still looks new after a few years but who knows. The grout was tough to work with (drys very fast and hard on tile, work small areas) but the finished product looks great. The grout also requires 7 days drying time before use.

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999

Weight of the pan isn't a consideration unless your house was poorly constructed.
It's always been my opinion that green or purple board has no business in a shower. The material isn't waterproof, it's water resistant. A roll on membrane is probably good enough, but a shower is one of those places that it just doesn't make sense to skimp. The cost of repairing a failure is enormous, the cost of preventing a failure is fairly reasonable.

I've used goboard in the last few showers I've done. I really like it. Very easy to work with, easy to waterproof.

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
I'm remodeling my bathroom and need to choose a shower pan in 60x32 or 60x34. I don't want to do a tiled shower pan anymore because the grout was hard to clean and came loose or cracked. So I've decide to install a 1 piece shower pan.

I like the Kohler enameled cast iron pans. I looked at several of models and the shower curb is not deep in the 60" long versions. Kohler has only one deep one (Purist) but it only comes in 48x36 which will not work with my bathroom. I plan to use a shower curtain instead of a door so I need a pan with a deep curb.

Bootz has a deep enameled steel pan but the interior is width is all weird. The 32" width version has the same interior floor space as the 30" because they make the curb and threshold a lot wider.

Swanstone has deep ones but I heard they flex and discolor.

I found a local place that sells a cultured marble pan but they seem so 1980's.

Does anyone have any suggestions?
I'm not a huge fan of the feeling of fiberglass or acrylic in a shower pan. I know what you're saying about tile, but the only shower I've built like that, I actually poured a concrete pan. I had to maximize the space in that bathroom and designed it with a curved curtain in the corner. It worked alright and I was able to slope the pan to a larger than average drain in the floor.

From what you're looking at, I would probably consider cast iron enameled pans too. I'm trying really hard not to make a joke about making sure to order a preseasoned one.... My only concern would be that metal + water = rust. These days, I'm not sure what metal thickness those things are being manufacutred....in comparison to the old days. If they cheap out on the gauge of the metal, you could end up with problems in 5-10 years. If it's going to fail, it would be more than likely to fail around the drain hole where water would pool up. If you do the install, you may want to invest in some kind of coating on the underside and edge where your drain seats. (besides just oil-based plumber's putty)

Mandres

Jun 8, 2011
Weight of the pan isn't a consideration unless your house was poorly constructed.
It's always been my opinion that green or purple board has no business in a shower. The material isn't waterproof, it's water resistant. A roll on membrane is probably good enough, but a shower is one of those places that it just doesn't make sense to skimp. The cost of repairing a failure is enormous, the cost of preventing a failure is fairly reasonable.

I've used goboard in the last few showers I've done. I really like it. Very easy to work with, easy to waterproof.

Thanks for the suggestion. The GoBoard looks like a great option that I hadn't considered. Unfortunately it looks like it's not available at the big box stores in my area (unless you want to buy a whole pallet). Is there somewhere else to buy it?

I may end up going with cement backer board, but hauling that stuff upstairs and dealing with the dust doesn't sound very appealing.