Show off your desk thread

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Trygve

Golden Member
Aug 1, 2001
Originally posted by: NL5
Yep, I run mine on a PC. Never had any problems. I usually record at 24/48 anyway tho, although the converters are supposed to be a lot better in the MkII, so that is why I opted for it over a first gen 828.

Here is what I want -

http://www.mercenary.com/apad16chadco.html
http://www.mercenary.com/apda16chdaco.html

They blow the motu out of the water, but 16in/out is $6500 vs. about $1500 for the Motu's (2 X 828MkII). So, I'm sticking with MOTU for now, and besides, they really do sound pretty good.
url]" border="0

Thanks--I'm tempted to get a MkII and Ebay my MkI. The Apogees are a little too pricey for me and my modest needs--don't want to spend too much right now because I'm probably going to be getting in some high-def work soon enough and that's going to require some capital to get up to speed. Personally, I'm surprised that I haven't gotten any demand for it so far, but I'm going to put off buying any new stuff as long as I can because the prices are dropping while the quality (or at least the options) keep getting better.

Guess I'll just have to be satisfied with my two pairs of Apogee speakers (Divas and Duettas). :)

-- yeah, I know it's not the same company, but I do like both of their products.

imported_Lucifer

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 2004
lol, i know that. I dont have my camera right now, so i just used the program Grab to take a pic of my desktop. :)

Ill take a pick of both my computers when I get my camera back from my brother tonight.

packmule

Sep 6, 2004
Originally posted by: Trygve
Originally posted by: NL5
Just a blatant excuse to show off my new desk I just finished building -

Desk 1

Desk 2

Let's see yours! :D

That's very cool--what all equipment do you have there? (I know I should recognize these things, but I don't always.)

Here's mine --obviously it's a lot more cluttered and messy.

That's a negatory on the flyby ghost rider the pattern is full... What the heck are you running in there? Actually people that is what your desk has to look like if you run Linux.

amol

Lifer
Jul 8, 2001
ooh . . . how about my desK?

may not be much, but its ALL MINE! (actually not really, since the desk, the pencil sharpener, alot of things there are hand-me-downs from my sister - that's why it has so many stickers on it)

Desk (Broad View w/ Printer)

Desk View

hah, sorry for the image quality

my sis took the digital camera with her, so i had to make do with the camcorder . . .

Trygve

Golden Member
Aug 1, 2001
Originally posted by: packmule
Originally posted by: Trygve
Here's mine --obviously it's a lot more cluttered and messy.

That's a negatory on the flyby ghost rider the pattern is full... What the heck are you running in there? Actually people that is what your desk has to look like if you run Linux.

Like NL5 pointed out, nothing I'm using is particularly exotic, I just need to support a lot of formats. The most expensive parts are the beta decks, and those are just the UVW-series, which is the least expensive type (You could pick up a used pair on Ebay for well under $10K these days.) but that's still the format that almost all TV stations want and a lot of the smaller territories and distributors use for video masters. Even a lot of what gets shot on film gets the dailies telecined to betaSP and edited from there, without a cut, conformed negative ever being created. The other stuff are things like DLT decks (standard for DVD masters), PAL gear, sync generators and time-base correctors, and various audio formats. (Speaking of which, NL5, on your equipment list, you didn't mention a DAT deck; if you ever need to support that format, I went on a binge a while back of modifying computer backup drives to read and write audio DATs, so I have a stack of extras.) Location audio most often comes in on DAT; surround mixes often go out on DA-88.

But, despite that, those two machines aren't running Linux, they're running Windows 2K and XP. Magazine ads, catalog and book layouts, and posters usually need to go out in PSD, PDF, or Indesign formats, so the path of least resistance leads to the Mac or the Windows worlds. But I do have a couple dozen linux boxes in the basement, plus three machines running Solaris 8 and two that are (still!) running SunOS 4.1.4.

And in keeping with Mobobuff's observation that a lot of us have Shuttle or other SFF systems, here's mine. (It's used mostly as a portable media server, plus it has a DVD burner and ISOs of all the screeners.)