shouldnt a heatsink feel warm at full load?

mizzou

Diamond Member
Jan 2, 2008
I would think my cpu heatsink (zalman cu 3000?) Would feel slightly warm to thetouch if it is doing its job properly. Cpu temp is 50 c at full load and yet heatsink fins dont feel warm at all

Normal? Or do i need to reseat this thing....

JAG87

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2006
Actually only the base of the heat sink and heat pipes should be warm, the fins, which is probably what you are touching should be cool. If they are warm than it means you don't have enough airflow going through them.

RussianSensation

Elite Member
Sep 5, 2003
Based on the way your heatsink looks, it's going to be nearly impossible for you to assess how warm the heatsink fins are: http://www.frostytech.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=668

Think about it, the surface area of the fins is so tiny, that when you put a finger to it, there isn't enough surface area for heat transfer to occur. As a result, you will never be able to get a proper reading from using your "fingers" against a 1mm fin setup. Did you try using putting your whole hand against the side of the fins instead?

You can try resetting it but 50*C at full load is nothing to worry about for such an old heatsink, which isn't ideal for modern processors.

Also, as mentioned by Jag above, with sufficient airflow, the hot air will be cleared fast enough from the fins already.

khon

Golden Member
Jun 8, 2010
If you know that your cpu is only 50C during load, it seems to me you already know that your cooler is doing its job.

jvroig

Platinum Member
Nov 4, 2009
Or do i need to reseat this thing....
You want to go through the trouble of reseating your CPU cooler when full load temp is just 50C? Is your CPU supposed to be some super-cool running, low-voltage chip? Because unless it is, you are worrying too much about nothing.

mizzou

Diamond Member
Jan 2, 2008
You want to go through the trouble of reseating your CPU cooler when full load temp is just 50C? Is your CPU supposed to be some super-cool running, low-voltage chip? Because unless it is, you are worrying too much about nothing.

Nope, im just going to overclock the poop out of it, its only job now is to hold off the inevitable upgrade. 50 c is with a 200mhz increase )

939 3500+ old wincgester so not even the cool 90nm version

JAG87

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2006
And you are worried about ruining that brand new expensive processor?

Overclock until it glows red.

mizzou

Diamond Member
Jan 2, 2008
this is the heatsink I have, its the 7000

zalman&