Should you de-scale salmon?

Giscardo

May 31, 2000
I have a huge salmon filet that I am going to marinade with some terriyaki ginger sauce I got, but the salmon has scales on one side. Why would they filet the fish before de-scaling it? Should I remove the scales?

don't de-scale it...de-skin it

don't do it the manly way either, theres an easy way to do it as long as you have a sharp knife

Giscardo

May 31, 2000
I don't have very sharp knives, what's the manly way? Attempt to rip the slimy, oily skin off with bare hands? Isn't there good nutrition in the skin though?

StevenYoo

Diamond Member
Jul 4, 2001
the skin has lots of that good fish oil.

i like the skin.

and yeah, scales in ur teeth isn't cool.

JeffCos

Golden Member
Mar 10, 2003
I grill my salmon with the scales still on, band they have always separated very easily after cooking.

manly way would be taking a knife and hacking it off

use a sharp fillet knife, a flexible one if you have
cut an inch or two of the skin away from the meat
put the fillet skin down on the cutting board (or counter top if you're a lazy bastard like me)
work the knife back into the cut
use the other hand to grab the skin thats already peeled away (rub some salt on it if its too slippery)

hold the knife at a downward angle and pull the skin and fillet away from the knife
if done correctly, you'll have a really nice clean cut - with no meat on the skin, and no skin on the meat

btw, if you're grilling it or backing it - leave the skin on
it peels off really easily when cooked

Giscardo

May 31, 2000
I couldn't wait for more than 20 seconds for a response so i just scaled it with a serrated knife.