Should you be offended?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

moshquerade

No Lifer
Nov 1, 2001
Originally posted by: PHiuR
I was just on the MSN.com at the video section for the World's oldest child.

The advertisment that came on before the actual video had short clips from National Geographic and it showed about 10 different types of animals, bear catching salmon, lion attacking a zebra, a big fish eating a smaller fish, then it showed a group of african women dancing. And back to some more animals...

I haven't been on atot for several months...I forgot that the anandtech has many douches lurking around.
i don't see a reason for you to be offended.

ForumMaster

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2005
Originally posted by: everman
I'd be offended if I was the Bear, I mean I doubt he really wanted to be photographed while fishing. It's an invasion of privacy. Personally I am deeply offended for bears everywhere.

yeah! give the poor bear his privacy! what did he do? or the lion? let them hunt in peace!

and no i wouldn't be offended. an as for you comment on "no kids", only kids would be offended by this, so why did you create this thread?

Brazen

Diamond Member
Jul 14, 2000

The advertisment that came on before the actual video had short clips from National Geographic and it showed about 10 different types of animals, bear catching salmon, lion attacking a zebra, a big fish eating a smaller fish, then it showed a group of african women dancing. And back to some more animals...

I haven't been on atot for several months...I forgot that the anandtech has many douches lurking around.

I had to read down through the thread to figure out what the heck you could possibly be offended about :roll: People like you who are so concerned about color are helping keep racism alive.

skace

Lifer
Jan 23, 2001
Dear PHiur, Yes you should be offended when seeing people dance. You should also get offended when they show people cooking or laughing during ads. Thank you for asking.

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
Originally posted by: myjaja

should I be offended?

Are you black?

I didn't even know what there was to be offended about until I read this post...

I guess the OP has never read National Geographic?

CVSiN

Diamond Member
Jul 19, 2004
Originally posted by: MIKEMIKE
you are a dumbass, its a culture, and their way of life, how they enjoy life, and how they live life.

its natural, its not like you saw something un natural.

thanks dumbass,
you probably don't even know why i asked this question in the first place.

what I want to know is why didn't they include asians, indians, whites doing cultural things in the video?

who wants to watch some suburban white guy doign the white guy side to side dance?
Id much rather see tribal cultures in national geographic than William Hung singing she bangs and calling it asian culture...

please get a grip..

everyone knows National Geographic specializes in Nature and Tribal things.. and always has.

GasX

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001
I consider getting offended by anything that is not a direct personal direct attack on you or your family a character flaw.

LanceM

Mar 13, 2004
So wait... are you asking because other cultures were not represented?

Or are you bothered that a black group was shown with a bunch of animals (in the same way you'd be offended if someone showed page after page of mentally challenged people, then a picture of your mom)?

pinion9

Banned
May 5, 2005
Let me chime in and say that if you have to ask if you should be offended, then you shouldn't be. It makes you sound like a fence-straddler that has no opinion of his own and wants to form an opinion based upon the majority.

Why would you be offended? Should every commercial made show Africans, Jews, Palestiniants, Americans, Dominicans, Cubans, Asians, Irish....

WAIT! That would be a long commercial, wouldn't it? Are you offended when you see a Tide commercial and it only shows the white housewife?

Why don't you grow a brain and fvcking use it? You obviously have no logic, no capacity to think rationaly and critically, no ability to form opinions.

I believe P&N is calling you. Both sides would like to recruit you as a passive yes-man.

torpid

Lifer
Sep 14, 2003
If you were an alien making his/her first appearance on earth and had never heard of the national geographic society or the 90-year-old national geographic magazine, maybe then you might be offended. The rest of us who were born here on planet earth are aware of national geographic and its famous coverage of animals and african tribes people and are not even remotely offended.

Born2bwire

Diamond Member
Oct 28, 2005

Wait, what exactly is the "World's oldest child"? Is that not like a person who is one second short of their 13th birthday? Or is the achievement based on a more metaphorical meaning, like maturity level? You might be a strong candidate yourself if it's the latter.

You know, last I checked though, National Geographic has not really presented extensive coverage of the ritualistic dances of the suburban white male for the past century.