Should you be offended?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

PHiuR

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2001
Originally posted by: Stumps
Originally posted by: PHiuR
Originally posted by: MIKEMIKE
you are a dumbass, its a culture, and their way of life, how they enjoy life, and how they live life.

its natural, its not like you saw something un natural.

thanks dumbass,
you probably don't even know why i asked this question in the first place.

what I want to know is why didn't they include asians, indians, whites doing cultural things in the video?

does calling people names make you feel better?

are you blind?

TheChort

Diamond Member
May 20, 2003
PHiuR, after all these years, you should really know better. ;)
There are plenty of people who are going to attack you. Why bother retaliating on their same level. Either change the name of the thread back to what it was, or ask the mods to delete it. There's no point in the title you have now.

I agree with you, it does seem strange that they would do something like that. And I don't think you have to be black to be offended by something like that. It has nothing to do with race.

MikeMike

Lifer
Feb 6, 2000
you are a dumbass, its a culture, and their way of life, how they enjoy life, and how they live life.

thanks dumbass,

what I want to know is why didn't they include asians, indians, whites doing cultural things in the video?

i thought you were offended in that they were topless.

how many asians have as exotic of a culture as most african tribes do? do they hunt the same, live the same? no, we know so little about their cultures because the language is difficult.

PHiuR

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2001

thanks dumbass,

i thought you were offended in that they were topless.

how many asians have as exotic of a culture as most african tribes do? do they hunt the same, live the same? no, we know so little about their cultures because the language is difficult.

asians not having exotic culture? are you serious?

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001

asians not having exotic culture? are you serious?

Okay... Uh... Asian culture has plagued our fragile Earth for many years. We must end it

Sqube

Diamond Member
Dec 23, 2004
Maybe I'm missing the point, but are you saying that all non-blacks should be offended because only blacks were included?

But seriously, I'm not trying to be sarcastic when I say I don't understand what there is to be offended about.

dxkj

Lifer
Feb 17, 2001
they should have shown a clip of a white man's dialogue in a spike lee movie in the mix.

dxkj

Lifer
Feb 17, 2001
Originally posted by: Sqube
Maybe I'm missing the point, but are you saying that all non-blacks should be offended because only blacks were included?

But seriously, I'm not trying to be sarcastic when I say I don't understand what there is to be offended about.

Lions and Tigers and Blacks, Oh my!

I think that was what he thought might be considered offensive.

cubby1223

Lifer
May 24, 2004
I haven't been on atot for several months...I forgot that the anandtech has many douches lurking around.
You asked a dumb question, it has nothing to do with people here being "douches". Nobody saw the video but you. And your description in no way clarifies if something could be offensive or not. Could it? Maybe. Could it not? Maybe. What did you think might be offensive about it? Nobody knows because you never said anything. Was it offensive to you because it was teaching you about the cultures of an African tribe? You find knowledge offensive? Is that it?

loic2003

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2003
No, it's not racist. You're simply another victim of this overly 'PC' world we live in who's only too desperate to shout 'racist' and run around in a panic. the fact that you have to bring it up in a public forum shows that you're taking it all way too seriously. I bet if they showed some tibetan tribe you'd no give it a second glance, but because they were black people, suddenly it's the white man being racisty again.

Furthermore, you're the racist for assuming they're african. Go and give yourself 100 lashes for being a white opressor since you obviously think all balcks live in tribes or soemthing...

this whole racism is fvcking retarded.

PHiuR

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2001
not really offended...i don't know why they only showed only one group of people when they could have showed all the different types of people in the world on the advertisement video.

that is all..

and no i don't find knowledge offensive...crap

TheoPetro

Banned
Nov 30, 2004
not really offended...i don't know why they only showed only one group of people when they could have showed all the different types of people in the world on the advertisement video.

that is all..

I guess my question to you is why should they show everyone? Should it be like text books in health class where every picture has a black boy, asian girl, white boy in a wheelchair, and a kid with down syndrome? No it is their ad. There is no way in the world they could have showed every different culture and every different person in that culture. They chose one culture and a few people. I think you are asking way too much of them.

If you are suguesting they omit it completely then maybe they wouldnt have been able to convay their "artistic" image they wanted to in the ad. Their job was to get a point across, to elicit a feeling or emotional responce. Most of the ads in the US are geared to grab people emotionaly. It obviously worked if it got you worked up over it. More than likely thats not the feeling they were going for and I bet most people wernt offended by it. I bet most people didnt give it a second thought.

I guess you could get a group together, make some banners, and go protest outside the companies HQ. That may get your PC point across to them. Doubtful but atleast youll be away from the computer long enough to not bother us with your psudo-moral issues.

I am done trying to explain this to you becasue after each new post of yours you sound more and more like youre just arguing with each point just to disagree. If you dont feed the troll they go away. So hopefully you will go away now.

Troll

AbAbber2k

Diamond Member
Mar 1, 2005

that is all..

Ya... god forbid every culture not get it's turn in the spotlight. :roll:
Do you have any idea how many distinct cultures there are? Especially in more geographically isolating areas. You'd have to be a complete retard to get worked up over the fact that asians, whites and whoever the fvck else didn't get thier 3 seconds in some Discovery Channel commercial. You need to just stop posting, because each new post makes you look more and more like an uptight PC moron who's just out to stir sh1t up.

PHiuR

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2001
It seems like it's you guys who are the ones who are getting worked up...
It was a simple statement that I made. I'm studying advertising photography and these are things that I need to keep in mind to keep everyone happy. I am sorry, that I think differently than the rest of you. It's just weird to me that the ad included so many different types of animals and just one type of human being. Simply put, I would have done the ad differently to be strictly animals, or include a broader range of humans in the mix.

That is all.

AbAbber2k

Diamond Member
Mar 1, 2005
It was a simple statement that I made. I'm studying advertising photography and these are things that I need to keep in mind to keep everyone happy. I am sorry, that I think differently than the rest of you. It's just weird to me that the ad included so many different types of animals and just one type of human being. Simply put, I would have done the ad differently to be strictly animals, or include a broader range of humans in the mix.

That is all.

You're thinking in a completely ethnocentric (i think that's the right descriptive... or would it be specieism?) manner. Note your sentance... "many different types of animals and just one type of human being." Wait... WHAT?!?! Humans are "animals" you know. Did they show multiple subspecies of every species they showed except humans? Did they show brown, black, grizzly, kodiak and polar bears? Did they show salmon, trout, cod and marlin? Multiple large feline species? You're acting like "animal" is a species and each type of animal is a "race" just like humans are a species and we divide our selves into races (based on culture, color, etc). There is absolutely no reason to have to show one person from each race. You've been brain washed to be overly PC and it's fvcking disgusting.

PHiuR

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2001
Originally posted by: AbAbber2k

That is all.

You're thinking in a completely ethnocentric (i think that's the right descriptive... or would it be specieism?) manner. Note your sentance... "many different types of animals and just one type of human being." Wait... WHAT?!?! Humans are "animals" you know. Did they show multiple subspecies of every species they showed except humans? Did they show brown, black, grizzly, kodiak and polar bears? Did they show salmon, trout, cod and marlin? Multiple large feline species? You're acting like "animal" is a species and each type of animal is a "race" just like humans are a species and we divide our selves into races (based on culture, color, etc). There is absolutely no reason to have to show one person from each race. You've been brain washed to be overly PC and it's fvcking disgusting.

I knew that was gonna come when I typed it. But sadly, that's the world that we live in.

AbAbber2k

Diamond Member
Mar 1, 2005
Maybe if you'd admit that your "thinking differently" is simply the result of being an ignorant tool you wouldn't have to keep digging yourself into a hole. First it was "shouldn't other races be offended" because it was just africans (or whoever the fvck they were). Then it was bullsh1t about multiple "animals" and only one type of "human." Now you're spouting bullsh1t about how you KNEW what the response was going to be when you typed it? Then why'd you bother, jackass? If you know the answer, why ask the question? Especially when it makes you look like a "fvckwit" (as one poster so eloquently put it). You're obviously either stupid beyond comprehension or you just have too much pride to admit you're wrong. I pray for the later.

fire400

Diamond Member
Nov 21, 2005
okay I got the commentary setup.

notes:
animals represent a place without a home.
african women normally have darker skin and are outside a lot more.
viciousness, from attacking to eating other raw animals

possible thoughts:

possitive--
-outdoors? wildlife? nature? respect for what's outside?
-choice of inspiration?

negative--
savages
relation to uncivil manner?

take your pick, darker skinned women matching the captured images and recorded scenes?...?

I've read some posts, sounds like some people are offended because of indirect discrimination? I'd look up the terms, but I never really got A's in my English courses, so I'll leave it at that.

p.s. I didn't watch the video, I am so sick of Starcraft right now, that if I see too many moving colors at once, I am going to lose my nerve... .....hell, sounds like I need to go to a trance concert or something?