Should weapons of mass murder be so easily available?

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005

Matt1970

Lifer
Mar 19, 2007
Mass shootings tend to fall into two categories: siege/hostage and spree.

So I'd categorize Cho, Columbine, and Anders Breivik as siege/hostage.

I'd categorize Loughner and Lanza and Holmes as spree.

Limiting magazine sizes makes spree shootings less deadly.

Columbine was not a siege incident and there were no hostages. You are just telling yourself that to justify your want for an assault weapon ban.

Lithium381

Lifer
May 12, 2001
Oaklahoma City bombing, Boston Marathan, Pipe bombs at the olympics . . . yes, lets make sure everyone has 10 rounds and not 11!!!

lets make sure they don't have bayonet lugs or "the shoulder things that come up"...
i watched a movie last night "end of watch" and it showed a bunch of mexican gang-bangers about to shoot up a rival black gang. not ONCE did one of them say "wait, these weapons aren't legally registered to us." or "hey, these magazines exceed the legal capcacity for our municipality" or "these firearms are automatic but we didn't pay the tax to the BATFE for them." Further, none of them asked "wait, we're about to commit murder, maybe we should check the local definitions of manslaughter and murder so we understand the distinctions." etc. . .etc . .

think about who you're attempting to legislate.

boomerang

Lifer
Jun 19, 2000
Oaklahoma City bombing, Boston Marathan, Pipe bombs at the olympics . . . yes, lets make sure everyone has 10 rounds and not 11!!!

lets make sure they don't have bayonet lugs or "the shoulder things that come up"...
i watched a movie last night "end of watch" and it showed a bunch of mexican gang-bangers about to shoot up a rival black gang. not ONCE did one of them say "wait, these weapons aren't legally registered to us." or "hey, these magazines exceed the legal capcacity for our municipality" or "these firearms are automatic but we didn't pay the tax to the BATFE for them." Further, none of them asked "wait, we're about to commit murder, maybe we should check the local definitions of manslaughter and murder so we understand the distinctions." etc. . .etc . .

think about who you're attempting to legislate.
It's important to remember that we're dealing with a group of like-minded individuals that feel we need to do "something".

OverVolt

Lifer
Aug 31, 2002
OP totally made me rant a bit, hah.

I like liberals on a personable scale. They mean well. Its just they are taking things too far. Their cheerful ways of compromise have turned out to be a slippery slope now. Incase the liberals are like "where is all this resistance coming from"

Its really no different than when Bush went into office and the total flip to the democrat side away from the republican side. Next presidency will probably go to republican and republican momentum will build during Obama's last term. Just like Bushes, but ya know the opposite.

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006
OP totally made me rant a bit, hah.

I like liberals on a personable scale. They mean well. Its just they are taking things too far. Their cheerful ways of compromise have turned out to be a slippery slope now. Incase the liberals are like "where is all this resistance coming from"

Its really no different than when Bush went into office and the total flip to the democrat side away from the republican side. Next presidency will probably go to republican and republican momentum will build during Obama's last term. Just like Bushes, but ya know the opposite.

Meh, that depends on who comes out of the primary. Republicans are starting to see some straining at the seams between social conservatives and the rest of the party. If they keep toeing a hard social conservative line, they're just going to alienate more and more voters.

If the Republicans field someone relatively moderate with an ounce of Charisma, they've got a good shot.

FallenHero

Diamond Member
Jan 2, 2006
Meh, that depends on who comes out of the primary. Republicans are starting to see some straining at the seams between social conservatives and the rest of the party. If they keep toeing a hard social conservative line, they're just going to alienate more and more voters.

If the Republicans field someone relatively moderate with an ounce of Charisma, they've got a good shot.

Honestly the Republicans just need to switch to a more Libertarian viewpoint and not put some ancient wide dude out there and they would win.