Should we require written contracts for politicians ?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

soundforbjt

Lifer
Feb 15, 2002
Banning lobbyists is stupid, allowing only non-profit is even stupider. Term limits and salary caps are needed for all elected officials. You want to fix the problem, make it limited and make it not pay well.

Alot of money and favors gained in politics are received at a later time so as to not "appear illegal". Power is just as important to some as money.

Why is banning lobbyists a bad idea?

Linflas

Lifer
Jan 30, 2001
Alot of money and favors gained in politics are received at a later time so as to not "appear illegal". Power is just as important to some as money.

Why is banning lobbyists a bad idea?

They are people exercising their first amendment rights, that's why. It is not just corporations and industry segments that hire lobbyists.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
They are people exercising their first amendment rights, that's why. It is not just corporations and industry segments that hire lobbyists.

Let them lobby, but the most they can spend is on a hundred buck dinner. Anything else should be illegal.

Oh, anyone who DOES accept one cent or legislates on behalf of a party cannot financially benefit from it for 5 years after leaving office.

boomerang

Lifer
Jun 19, 2000
For the system to be overhauled, those that make the rules must change those rules. The same rules that benefit them. They don't want to change. They have attained a status that we have both allowed and endorsed and they have achieved great power as a result. It's an us and them scenario now. It has been for a long time, but more and more people are waking up to that fact and more and more are willing to do something about it.

The trick now is to wield the power that we the people still have as it is rapidly being taken away. The trick is to find true patriots, willing to sacrifice in the course of public service instead of attaining wealth and power. They are out there right now.

The system to retake the nation is still in place. There is a movement afoot but this movement has no single leader yet. There are people telling us what to do and how to do it but there are powerful opposing forces at work attempting to sway the masses to stay the course.

I think we have one last chance to take the nation back in a peaceful manner. It's rapidly approaching. If we can't change the course of this nation, we are going to repeat history yet another time. It's a path that has never worked and will never work. It's an ugly path full of pain, hunger, misery and deaths by the millions. There will be no winners. Find a history book that hasn't been sanitized and you can read all about it.

I am voting every incumbent out. Every single fucking one of them I have the opportunity to cast a vote for. I will vote for every fresh face on that ballot. I absolutely believe that if I don't put forth this effort this fall that I will be sealing my fate and the fate of many others. The status quo must be shaken up and shaken hard. I'd rather do it at the ballot box than in the streets.

dawp

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
I am voting every incumbent out. Every single fucking one of them I have the opportunity to cast a vote for. I will vote for every fresh face on that ballot. I absolutely believe that if I don't put forth this effort this fall that I will be sealing my fate and the fate of many others. The status quo must be shaken up and shaken hard. I'd rather do it at the ballot box than in the streets.

Just voting every incumbent out isn't going to change a thing if you vote either R or D. The machinery is already in place to get the replacements up to speed to continue on as if nothing has changed. the only way change is almost assured is to vote for those not of the main parties. third parties is the only way to vote if you want change. but then, depending on the folks in those, it may not be long before it's business as usual unless they act quickly to change the rules. it would almost have to be a coup to pull it off.

Last edited:

MotF Bane

No Lifer
Dec 22, 2006
An electric collar might work, one that explodes if there's an attempt to remove it and one that chokes you to death if you vote before finding out what way your constituents want you to vote before you do and if you vote differently.

I'll take 310,000,000, give or take a few.

MotF Bane

No Lifer
Dec 22, 2006
Let them lobby, but the most they can spend is on a hundred buck dinner. Anything else should be illegal.

Oh, anyone who DOES accept one cent or legislates on behalf of a party cannot financially benefit from it for 5 years after leaving office.

Can be tried for treason and hung publicly.

runzwithsizorz

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2002
It's a very bad idea. Fix the real problems with elections, the big money buying the PR, and it'll be a lot less of an issue.

(And by the way, put term limits in place, and it's a lot more of an issue).

As for Zebo's claim with the base salaries of members $174,000:

Hm, so as opposed to the claim of 'full retirement after 2 years', we have nothing until 5 years, and then we have the current system average retiree at $36K.

So, Zebo, hopefully your rectum is much cleaner now that you have taken this nasty stuff out of it.
Did you say, "AVERAGE"?
According to the Congressional Research Service, 413 retired Members of Congress were receiving federal pensions based fully or in part on their congressional service as of Oct. 1, 2006. Of this number, **290** had retired under CSRS and were receiving an average annual pension of $60,972. A total of **123** Members had retired with service under both CSRS and FERS or with service under FERS only. Their average annual pension was $35,952 in 2006

Not sure, but isn't their health care taken care of, also, for life?
Since serving is only a part time job many have private practices, or jobs at home. Most did not start their political career in the senate, congress, or house. I'm sure quite a few served in government, and are receiving pensions from elsewhere, such as former San Diego City Councilman Michael Zucchet, who began collecting his nearly $15,000 annual pension in 2005 at age 35 after serving 8 years. I mean no offense Craig, just tryin to keep it fair, and balanced. :whiste:

Last edited: