Should we rename the South China Sea?

GunsMadeAmericaFree

Golden Member
Jan 23, 2007
Considering China's list of human rights abuses, plus their saber rattling, do you think we should rename the South China Sea?

Continuing to use the current name would seem to lend legitimacy to China continuing to claim ownership of areas far beyond what is considered acceptable to the international community. I've thought that perhaps we should call it the West Phillipine Sea, or maybe the Sea of Vietnam.

What do you think?

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
Considering China's list of human rights abuses, plus their saber rattling, do you think we should rename the South China Sea?

Continuing to use the current name would seem to lend legitimacy to China continuing to claim ownership of areas far beyond what is considered acceptable to the international community. I've thought that perhaps we should call it the West Phillipine Sea, or maybe the Sea of Vietnam.

What do you think?
China's not going to rule the sea.

Biden backs Trump rejection of China's South China Sea claim - POLITICO

WASHINGTON — The Biden administration on Sunday upheld a Trump-era rejection of nearly all of China’s significant maritime claims in the South China Sea. The administration also warned China that any attack on the Philippines in the flashpoint region would draw a U.S. response under a mutual defense treaty.

The stern message from Secretary of State Antony Blinken came in a statement released ahead of this week’s fifth anniversary of an international tribunal’s ruling in favor of the Philippines, against China’s maritime claims around the Spratly Islands and neighboring reefs and shoals. China rejects the ruling.

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
Who is "we"? The USA has no territorial claims in the SCS, and we are not administrators.

What do I think? I think expecting a nation to change an agenda towards a territory because foreign countries altered their names for that territory is as naive as it is ridiculous. 'Feckless' comes to mind. Would also tell the Chinese we see merit to claims based on labels, which is stupid, unless someone would like to explain to me how India owns the Indian Ocean?

GunsMadeAmericaFree

Golden Member
Jan 23, 2007
Who is "we"? The USA has no territorial claims in the SCS, and we are not administrators.

The other countries in the world, for example, on all maps, globes, etc. It's been done before - look up "German Sea". It was called that by many until WWI.

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003

The name was adopted by countries who bordered that body of water, it had no real effect on anything, and is no longer used. WWII still happened.

How is this relevant to the US and the SCS? What am I supposed to be convinced of here?

We have a lot of problems in Asia. Labels really aren't one of them.

Last edited:

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
We could call it the 'Freedom Sea!' That worked for fired potatoes. Notice how France did not...um what did we stop them from doing again by renaming the french fry?

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
We could call it the 'Freedom Sea!' That worked for fired potatoes. Notice how France did not...um what did we stop them from doing again by renaming the french fry?
It might come as a shock to you, but France has nothing to do with french fries. It really should be called Frenched Fries, as in the way the potatoes are cut lengthwise.

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
It might come as a shock to you, but France has nothing to do with french fries. It really should be called Frenched Fries, as in the way the potatoes are cut lengthwise.
I was aware of that, I was referencing the 'freedom fries' thing from 2003 when the GOP tried to rename french fries because France protested our invasion of Iraq.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
China's not going to rule the sea.

That's up to the nations in that region. If China can intimidate and or buy them out. The USA can try to safeguard them from such tactics, but given the state of our nation I seriously doubt we are capable of seeing through such a concerted effort. Have we, or would we ever, stay a true course long enough to "win"? Half arsed measures or changing our minds every 4-8 years will ensure China's victory.

In a world without us strong and determined.... China fills that void. How do you see a future where they do not win by default?

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
... unless someone would like to explain to me how India owns the Indian Ocean?

-Cause it's called the Indian Ocean, duh.

In all seriousness though, South China Sea should just be referred to as Winnie The Pooh Sea and China would just be forced to censor it and pretend it didn't exist.

5d chess people, if the folks from DARPA are hiring, tell them I'm waiting for a better offer...

Reactions: Meghan54

Lezunto

Golden Member
Oct 24, 2020
Who cares what this body of water is named?

China is rattling a saber? Hah! As if Kissinger, Dubya and Trump didn't do the same.

And the response to China's threats is to change the name of a body of water?

Personally, I think we can do a lot better than that. If we want to.

But I am not certain the U.S. wants to defend Taiwan to the best of its ability.

nexus5rocks

Mar 12, 2014

What do you think?
what list of human rights abuses?

Last edited:

m8d

Nov 5, 2012

What do you think?
AmeriKKKa needs to clean up its own shit before it criticizes anyone else.

Reactions: Lezunto

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
AmeriKKKa needs to clean up its own shit before it criticizes anyone else.

It seems the GOP's ploy at dividing America into intransigent political camps for their survival as a political party is accomplishing our enemy's work for them. Those few folks who own and operate the Repub party must think they are insulated from the security risks they're putting the rest of the nation through. How arrogant to be playing with our lives like that.

If only the rank and file Repubs would have a moment of clarity, an epiphany as it were, to see how they're being played into fighting against their own best interests by their leadership the security of the nation would be so much better off as the vast majority of the nation would then be united with a set of common goals and plans moving forward into the future.

m8d

Nov 5, 2012
Nope. We can acknowledge we have work to do to live up to our ideals and still promote those ideals internationally.
AmeriKKKa has been a fraud since its founding and will always be one. But, at least the Chinese are upfront with their human rights abuses, not like AmeriKKKa says one thing then does the complete opposite.

Reactions: Lezunto

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
AmeriKKKa has been a fraud since its founding and will always be one. But, at least the Chinese are upfront with their human rights abuses, not like AmeriKKKa says one thing then does the complete opposite.
Move to China then.