Should we lower the minimum wage?

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

glenn1

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000
I'd say that minimum wage should be something like 150% of the poverty level. So if you're single and head of household that would be $8.29 an hour. Still peanuts. If you're living on the coasts you can't really survive on this but I'm kinda a fan of the whole "move if you can't live there" approach.

As a business owner if you can't make money paying that salary then you don't belong in business.

Now this is really scraping the bottom of the barrel. If we want to help our society and get people out of poverty then we can't be paying these kinds of wages.

So be it then; you're getting your wish.

2.jpg

youth_unemployment_2007_2010.gif

aaksheytalwar

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2012
Abolish minimum wage. Let it be a pure capitalist economy and let the market dictate. Nobody forces anybody to work. Nobody forces anybody to hire. If you can make money, do it that way else find some other way. There should be no restriction or control in a free market unless crime starts coming in.

Apr 27, 2012
No way, The minimum wage should not be lowered or raised. The minimum wage needs to be abolished.

Government doesnt have the right to dictate the wages that are paid to employees, The only time the government should be getting involved is when there is an issue of enforcing a contract, crime or force being used.

Minimum wage just raises the costs to the customer who ends up paying more.

The wage is based on supply and demand and skill, if the employees skills dont justify the wage then why should the business hire him? Many of the minimum wage jobs are paid that amount because it involved low skills. As you increase your skills you can then go on to a job with higher wages.

In Capitalism the government should be staying out of the economy to keep it a free market.

jstern01

Mar 25, 2010
No way, The minimum wage should not be lowered or raised. The minimum wage needs to be abolished.

Government doesnt have the right to dictate the wages that are paid to employees, The only time the government should be getting involved is when there is an issue of enforcing a contract, crime or force being used.

Minimum wage just raises the costs to the customer who ends up paying more.

The wage is based on supply and demand and skill, if the employees skills dont justify the wage then why should the business hire him? Many of the minimum wage jobs are paid that amount because it involved low skills. As you increase your skills you can then go on to a job with higher wages.

In Capitalism the government should be staying out of the economy to keep it a free market.

When are you going to realize we do not have a free market economy, nobody does. With that as a starting point. Government can do what it pleases to force employers to pay a minimum wage. They can either tax the employers, fined the employers or make it so hard for them to operate that they can not compete.

Remember what Jefferson said, 'I hope that we shall crush in its birth the aristocracy of our monied corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength, and bid defiance to the laws of our country.' If the government wills it, no corporation should challenge it.

Apr 27, 2012
When are you going to realize we do not have a free market economy, nobody does. With that as a starting point. Government can do what it pleases to force employers to pay a minimum wage. They can either tax the employers, fined the employers or make it so hard for them to operate that they can not compete.

Remember what Jefferson said, 'I hope that we shall crush in its birth the aristocracy of our monied corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength, and bid defiance to the laws of our country.' If the government wills it, no corporation should challenge it.

We dont have a free market economy because of big government and all the corruption. This is why we need to turn to a free market economy.

Sonikku

Lifer
Jun 23, 2005
If anything we need to outright abolish government and let the free market capitalism fairy fix and straighten everything out like it always does.

88keys

Golden Member
Aug 24, 2012
Lowering minimum wage might make way for some cheaper labor, but you would have to reduce wages about $2/hr or less to compete with cheap labor over seas.

That being said, lowering the minimum wage would might bring some jobs, but what good are they if they pay a wage that one cannot afford to live on much less support a family. You would essentially be creating jobs that require government assistance to compensate for low wages.

Smoblikat

Diamond Member
Nov 19, 2011
I think we should abolish the federal minimum wage and let states decide whats fair, they each have their own tax laws and regulations and they can better decide what a fair wage for their state is based on their individual factors.

Ausm

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
We'd be better off if we abolished Republicans. It wouldn't cost much because they're doing such a good job of doing that to themselves. Keep it up, boys! :biggrin:

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

You got that right Harvey but I don't think their approval rating could get much lower. :D

Capt Caveman

Lifer
Jan 30, 2005
Yes it does, We haven't even had a free market for a long time. The US was built on the free market, try to show some respect for it.

Learn some history, retard. Do you wonder why we haven't had a free market in a long time? Idiots like you want to destroy this country.

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
Impossible. The more you raise the minimum wage, the higher the cost of living will be in almost all areas of life (Apart from perhaps imported products and illegal labor).

You might be right if a significant portion of the working population was making minimum wage but there isn't, I think about 5% are making minimum wage now. An increase in wages on a small portion of the population would have a minor if even noticeable difference on the cost of living.

We should abolish the minimum wage. Not only does it stop companies from hiring, as you point out, companies also have to lay off workers because of the minimum wage.

Wages have been stagnant or even declining and yet companies have continued with layoffs and minimal hiring. You will have to show me evidence to the contrary for me to buy that right wing talking point.

The best option for this economy for workers and for businesses would be getting rid of the current healthcare system and going to a single payer, government run system.

It reduces costs to employers and it gives workers a little bit more leverage when looking for work.

Raising the minimum wage would only be a small portion of the overall big picture to get the economy roaring again, it's not a magic bullet.

Last edited:

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Abolish minimum wage. Let it be a pure capitalist economy and let the market dictate. Nobody forces anybody to work. Nobody forces anybody to hire. If you can make money, do it that way else find some other way. There should be no restriction or control in a free market unless crime starts coming in.

For the most part this is how it is. A very small % of workers(~2%) actually make min wage. And the majority of those are in the food service industry working for tips. Their actual take home pay is more than min wage.

experiences

Feb 13, 2013
tell me where a fascist state has prospered for centuries. state control of business.
Last time I checked there are a dozen or how many?, libraries and the beginning of the good intentions of the United Nations from which abused historical figure starting with Car...... .
Give me a steel magnate, not the under informed voter, with NO perspective on history.

Last edited:

Harvey

Administrator<br>Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
adjust the stock market 14000 for inflation,.. where is it compared to the news touting it!

It's a simple linear equation. Too math challenged to figure it out for yourself? :confused:

tell me where a fascist state has prospered for centuries. state control of business.
Last time I checked there are a dozen or how many?, libraries and the beginning of the good intentions of the United Nations from which abused historical figure starting with Car...... .
Give me a steel magnate, not the under informed voter, with NO perspective on history.

Are you too web challenged or too reality challenged to include any facts with your wingnut tripe? :rolleyes: