Should The Use Of Drones By The Government Require A Warrant?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Drones Over USA

• Yes, Should Be Allowed Without Warrant.

• No, Shouldn't Be Allowed Without Warrant.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
No, that's not nearly the same thing. That plane is flying a specific route (ie, a patrol), and checking speeds during that patrol, just like an officer clocking with a radar gun is checking speeds at a specific location. They're not checking any particular vehicle, they're checking any vehicle at that location.

That's entirely different than an officer following a specific vehicle around (by drone or any other way) to monitor movement. That should not be allowed to happen without a warrant (which requires probable cause).

If they map out a major city in a gird like fashion, they can go back and replay the video and surveil ANYONE after the fact. They are not just following a specific person in this case, they're following everyone.

Patranus

Diamond Member
Apr 15, 2007
Of course not, what's your point?

Huh?
What is YOUR point?
(or do you just enjoy playing stupid?)

Stalking someone vs. planing a tracking device is 2 different issues.

You point out that GPS tracking (planing a tracking device on a car) without a warrant is unacceptable.

Tracking someone with a drone doesn't plant anything on their persons or car. 100% different scenarios.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Huh?
What is YOUR point?
(or do you just enjoy playing stupid?)

Stalking someone vs. planing a tracking device is 2 different issues.

You point out that GPS tracking (planing a tracking device on a car) without a warrant is unacceptable.

Tracking someone with a drone doesn't plant anything on their persons or car. 100% different scenarios.

You clearly didn't read any of my posts.

This is not surprising.

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
If they map out a major city in a gird like fashion, they can go back and replay the video and surveil ANYONE after the fact. They are not just following a specific person in this case, they're following everyone.

This is my problem. I don't agree with using force-multipliers to track people without a warrant. I also don't agree with putting cameras everywhere so you can track everyone, either in real-time or after the fact.

I have no problem with a car following someone around. The difference is the police will never have enough people to tail 1000 people until they screw up somehow, where they could do that with force multipliers.