Should the U.S. get out of all trade agreements?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anarchist420

Diamond Member
Feb 13, 2010
www.facebook.com
I think so because they probably cost more to collect than they're worth.

NAFTA sucks because it increased environmental and labor regs and also because it didn't reduce the tariffs to zero... it simply made them like 1% meaning that people/firms still have to meet a Treasury dept agent to bring those things in and money it costs the taxpayer to bring those things in.

If anything, NAFTA has just increased environmental and labor regs and shifted criticism away from the real problems which are the export bank, the subsidies, tariffs still not being zero, and global protection of U.S. IP. Other proposed trade agreements raise prices by globally protecting U.S. IP. The WTO is anti-freedom of trade because every time the U.S. govt complains of "dumping", the former simply approves the anti-dumping policies of the latter.

Things like the WTO and NAFTA were proposed by McKinley well before they were enacted and they have done exactly what the protectionists of McKinley's day wanted which was to always have govt interfere with commerce. Basically, Lincoln's protectionism and nationalism evolved into Wilsonian globalism (i.e., managed trade).

If it weren't for Lincoln, then we wouldn't have had globalists like Wilson and his communist disciples like Newt Gingrich.

piasabird

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
So what do you think about the Highway from Mexico and Mexican trucks entering the USA?

When all those contaminated peppers contaminated the Tomatoes a couple years ago, I was surprised we did not ban imports from Mexico. Same thing goes for food conaminated coming in from China. When other countries out and out poison our people and we do nothing, that does not send a very good message.

Last edited:

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Yes. Those benefit the bottom line of companies a great deal... US citizens, not so much.

yllus

Elite Member & Lifer
Aug 20, 2000
Sure. Pull out of NAFTA so when we re-negotiate our oil-for-market access we can stone cold rob you this time around.

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
For countries where the manufacturing/labor cost is orders of magnitude power? Possibly.

For other countries where costs are similar, trade is good IMO

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
I'm actually all for it - we should branch out and sell more to Asia instead of rely on the southern U.S. ports and refineries.

We give our oil money to one terrorist nation or another...doesn't really matter which one...:whiste:

OverVolt

Lifer
Aug 31, 2002
Its more complicated than you think it is. Sorry I saw that it was an Anarchist thread and TL;DR'd it. At least I'm honest!

I'm actually unfamiliar with the NAFTA trade agreements, could you explain? Because its probably more of a foreign policy thing that the USA does as oppose to actually trying to make a profit. You can't really quantify an ally in money terms.

Status
Not open for further replies.