Should the Phrase "Ch**K in the Armor" be Retired?

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
The original post said it was a headline... but I saw that it was originally an on air statement.

Anybody who finds racism in a non racist statement is truly ignorant.

If it truely was something said in passing on the air, it's quite possible that the person did not realize how it sounded. In that context, I don't have any problem with it. If it was a headline to the on air show or an article then I would have problem with it, since either the producer or editor should know better.

Onita

Golden Member
Feb 24, 2004
The original post said it was a headline... but I saw that it was originally an on air statement.

Anybody who finds racism in a non racist statement is truly ignorant.

It was a headline. The last time they used the headline? The Beijing Olympics.

They made the write a scapegoat firing him, though.

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york...-prompts-quick-apology-espn-article-1.1024951

espn has taken down a headline regarding asian american basketball player jeremy lin, and apologized for its use. The head line contained the phrase "ch**k in the armor".

Obviously the phrase did not originally pertain to chinese people.... But should it not be used in any written or spoken item regarding chinese or asian people, to prevent any misunderstanding? Can the phrase be acceptably used when no chinese or asian people are "near it" in conversation, text, or on a website???

My recommended safety separation distances: A reference to the phrase in question and a reference to a chinese person shall be separated by 15 lines of text in written form, 5" of visual space on a website or other visual display, and 3 minutes during verbal conversation.

lol +1

Sacrilege

Sep 6, 2007
My guidelines for usage of ambiguously intolerant figures of speech have now been replicated by the Asian American Journalists Association:

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/cutline...releases-guidelines-jeremy-lin-155822233.html

Among the "danger zones" identified by AAJA:

"beloved patriot": Pejorative; do not use in a context involving an Asian person on someone who is Asian American. Extreme care is needed if using the well-trod phrase "beloved patriot in the armor"; be mindful that the context does not involve Asia, Asians or Asian Americans.

"ME LOVE YOU LIN TIME": Avoid.

cybrsage

Lifer
Nov 17, 2011
Are we allowed to say he is a smart player, or is that an Asian stereotype?

No, you would have to say "good at math" player. The mass suicides at the plants in SE Asia and people in Japan working themselves to death (to the point where laws had to be made to force people to take vacations) show that Asians are not, as a group, smarter than other groups.

:)

AyashiKaibutsu

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2004
No, you would have to say "good at math" player. The mass suicides at the plants in SE Asia and people in Japan working themselves to death (to the point where laws had to be made to force people to take vacations) show that Asians are not, as a group, smarter than other groups.

:)

Yea, I knew an asian guy in college that was a crazy good calculator, but he was average at best maybe slightly dumb otherwise.

MotionMan

Lifer
Jan 11, 2006
If so, then we would have to retire the term black hole, too.

Oh, and this:

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nba/sto...my-lin-ben-jerry-apologizes-lin-sanity-flavor

Ben & Jerry's sorry for fortune cookies
ESPN.com news services

Ben & Jerry's, the iconic ice cream brand famous for flavors borrowed from a broad swath of the culinary spectrum, has apologized for including fortune cookies in its "Taste the Lin-Sanity" frozen yogurt sold at a Harvard Square location in Boston.

The Vermont-founded company has replaced the fortune cookies in its honey-swirl, Jeremy Lin-inspired variety with waffle cones.

"We offer a heartfelt apology if anyone was offended by our handmade Lin-Sanity flavor," Ben & Jerry's said in a statement.

Lin, the New York Knicks point guard who shot to NBA stardom this month after spurring a win streak in the absence of Carmelo Anthony and Amare Stoudemire, played four seasons for the Harvard Crimson before turning pro in 2010.

"We are proud and honored to have Jeremy Lin hail from one of our fine, local universities and we are huge sports fans," Ben & Jerry's said in the news release. "Our intention was to create a flavor to honor Jeremy Lin's accomplishments and his meteoric rise in the NBA, and recognize that he was a local Harvard graduate.

"We try (to) demonstrate our commitment as a Boston-based, valued-led business and if we failed in this instance we offer our sincere apologies."

Society has officially lost it's mind. How is it offensive to use fortune cookies in an ice cream flavor? He is of Chinese descent, isn't he?

MotionMan

MotionMan

Lifer
Jan 11, 2006
What if Ben & Jerry's sold LeBron James ice cream with collard greens?

Then there would be outrage and they would have to apologize. But I see no problem with it.

They could have a Sandy Koufax flavor with matzo balls in the shapes of dollar signs and big noses, and that would not offend me (Jewish).

People have to get over themselves.

MotionMan