Should the debates be canceled/postponed?

quest55720

Golden Member
Nov 3, 2004
The debate can wait a few days or a week. Obama and McCain need to be in washington getting a bill passed. Also maybe they can pass a second bill that will fund a giant investigation so we can send some of these crooks to jail.

Tab

Lifer
Sep 15, 2002
Originally posted by: quest55720
The debate can wait a few days or a week. Obama and McCain need to be in washington getting a bill passed. Also maybe they can pass a second bill that will fund a giant investigation so we can send some of these crooks to jail.

Hey, it's not like McCain has to show up. Obama wouldn't mind 90 minutes of free tv.

Goosemaster

Lifer
Apr 10, 2001

Problems never cease to arise, and our leader best be ready to deal with them in stride.

DainBramaged

Lifer
Jun 19, 2003
No, I really want to see what them debate. As far as I'm concerned, McCain's job right now is to show how he will lead the nation, not to try to go and help with something that he doesn't know anything about.

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
I'd prefer to see the debates under these conditions-so see how the potential Presidents function in real life stress periods, rather than super-prepped and coached to the nineths.

If it is physically impossible for them to attend the debate in MS, switch them to a TV studio in Washington. The leaders of the Senate can be prevailed upon to delay the vote a few hours if it was to come up Friday night. After all, the markets will be closed until Monday AM anyway.

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
I've been waiting for Obama to get killed in the debates when he has to speak and think on his feet and show what he really believes. At the same time a leader takes action like what McCain has done instead of trying to lead by consensus (any executive knows how bad this approach is).

The participants are choosing their priorities, just like Obama choose to not debate earlier. And now that McCain has put country first that slimeball is trying to use it against him. Yes the debates should be postponed.

yllus

Elite Member & Lifer
Aug 20, 2000
What are either of the two senators going to do in Washington, exactly? High finance isn't anywhere near their areas of expertise. Not to mention the debate is at, what, Friday at 9 PM?

Double Trouble

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
As expected, McCain does the correct thing, he stops campaigning so he can do his job and be a part of the process of how to allocate funding and get the economy off the brink. Obama is more interested in politics than doing his job, so he'd rather campaign than do his job. Country first vs Obama first.

The debates don't matter, making sure we have a viable financial sector is more important.

UberNeuman

Lifer
Nov 4, 1999
Originally posted by: Double Trouble

The debates don't matter, making sure we have a viable financial sector is more important.

yeah, the debates over who becomes the next president don't matter..

/if you're on a losing side, that is...

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
As expected, McCain does the correct thing, he stops campaigning so he can do his job and be a part of the process of how to allocate funding and get the economy off the brink. Obama is more interested in politics than doing his job, so he'd rather campaign than do his job. Country first vs Obama first.

I would love to know what you people think McCain is going to do back in Washington. All I've seen is "he's going to help work out a compromise". On what? With whom? Not only is he not part of the congressional leadership, he's not part of the relevant committees, and he has admitted he doesn't know what he's talking about with economics.

So I ask again, just what the hell is he going to do there? (besides pull a political stunt that is)

Double Trouble

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: eskimospy

I would love to know what you people think McCain is going to do back in Washington. All I've seen is "he's going to help work out a compromise". On what? With whom? Not only is he not part of the congressional leadership, he's not part of the relevant committees, and he has admitted he doesn't know what he's talking about with economics.

So I ask again, just what the hell is he going to do there? (besides pull a political stunt that is)

He is a freakin' SENATOR. The senate is one half of a congress that is struggling to make a decision on possibly spending 700 BILLION. That could affect our country forever. Both Obama and McCain are senators, they need to do their job as senators, then they can go back to campaigning, there's plenty of time for that. Of course, that's only if you think "country first". If you think "Obama first", then by all means, screw your responsibilities at a critical time for the country.

NFS4

No Lifer
Oct 9, 1999

Originally posted by: spidey07
I've been waiting for Obama to get killed in the debates when he has to speak and think on his feet and show what he really believes. At the same time a leader takes action like what McCain has done instead of trying to lead by consensus (any executive knows how bad this approach is).

The participants are choosing their priorities, just like Obama choose to not debate earlier. And now that McCain has put country first that slimeball is trying to use it against him. Yes the debates should be postponed.

Oh my god, give me a f**king break. If John McCain hadn't come out today and said that he wanted to postpone the debate, your mouth would be sealed shut. You wouldn't being saying ONE DAMN THING about postponing the debate. You wouldn't have called for either one to back off.

But because McCain now says he wants to, now you guys are all for it. Hmm...

frostedflakes

Diamond Member
Mar 1, 2005
Way to avoid the question. :laugh:

It may be the right thing to do, but I doubt it's going to make any difference. Of course, he could get up there and provide some valuable leadership in crafting the bill, in which case I will insert my foot in my mouth. But to me, this just seems like grandstanding.

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002

He is a freakin' SENATOR. The senate is one half of a congress that is struggling to make a decision on possibly spending 700 BILLION. That could affect our country forever. Both Obama and McCain are senators, they need to do their job as senators, then they can go back to campaigning, there's plenty of time for that. Of course, that's only if you think "country first". If you think "Obama first", then by all means, screw your responsibilities at a critical time for the country.

Wrong. The Senate isn't "struggling". The majority are against the bill, Democrat and Republican. McCain has admitted he doesn't know shit about economics so WTF is he going to do? Make a speech to help his buddies out?

Country first
Obama first
Blow me first

Buck Armstrong

Platinum Member
Dec 17, 2004
As expected, McCain does the correct thing, he stops campaigning so he can do his job and be a part of the process of how to allocate funding and get the economy off the brink. The debates don't matter, making sure we have a viable financial sector is more important.

The man himself admitted that the economy was not his area of expertise, and recently claimed the fundamentals of the economy were strong just scant days before Wall Street collapsed! Meanwhile, he doesn't even know how many houses his rich wife owns, and his chief economic advisor said the disaster was all in our heads and we're just a nation of whiners.

The above strongly indicates that he doesn't even understand the extent of the problem, so what exactly is he going to do to rescue us when he gets to Washington? IMO, he's either afraid to debate Obama, or he thought he could score some political points for the election by appearing to save the day.

Country first my ass. That's what you all said when he picked the hockey mom church lady to be VP.

evident

Lifer
Apr 5, 2005

partisan hack alert!

a president should be able to handle multiple things at once.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006

I'm sorry man but I think you need to watch that PBS special on "how a bill becomes a law".

Again, I'm asking you: What are his responsibilities going to be there in respect to this bill? Just what do you think he is going to do in the drafting of this legislation? When the senate passes a law, all 100 senators don't get together and write it you know. If it's so important he be there, you must be able to mention something he's going to be doing?

Goosemaster

Lifer
Apr 10, 2001
Originally posted by: spidey07

While I agree on the course of actions that you have put forth, I feel that this is not the time or the place to give that much credit to the candidates. Given the past representation that both Senators have failed to exercise for their respective states, I find that it would be hypocritical of both candidates, both of which are not financial experts by their own admission, to charge into Washington and force a resolution.

On this I feel that both have somewhat equally false footing, with McCain a bit more encumbered by his party's role in this situation.

From my vantage point, there is a great deal of pressure that presidential-candidate-presence can apply, both good and bad. I do question McCain's decision to cancel the debate as the debate is intended as discourse for their prospective constituents and any action that serves to compromise these debates serves to compromise the final decision.
Due to their lack of past action, I feel that their priority must do their earnest to represent their current constituents above all else, but that has not happened before, and feigning interest now is a political tactic.

While the situation is perhaps dire, it has been developing for some time and a quick one week brawl can do nothing but a disservice to constituents that demand temperament and sound judgement of their representatives.

Hell, tell everyone in the Senate to STFU for an hour and hold the debate in chambers. It must go forward. These men hope to one day speak for all Americans, and we have a rightfully vested interest in what type of leaders they will be, so they must answer to us.

quest55720

Golden Member
Nov 3, 2004
Originally posted by: evident

partisan hack alert!

a president should put a possible 700 billion dollar bill first over a few rallies and fund raisers.

I had to fix it for ya.