Should Obama declare martial law and seat his Supreme Court choice

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
And put the Republicans in congress on trial as guilty of treason. I wonder where the people of the country would come down on that, if it might be a way around the state legislatures criminal gerrymandering.

I don't believe a declaration of martial law would have any effect on a president's ability to seat a SCOTUS judge w/o confirmation by the Senate.

Martial law is essentially just having the military enforce laws and/or order domestically.

(There might be the question of suspension of Habeas Corpuis, but SCOTUS has ruled that power rests with Congress, not the President. In any case you suggest a trial so it's not relevant.)

I suppose (hypothetically) the President could 'force' the AG to charge Republican in Congress with treason. I'm not sure what could be gained, other than angering of a lot of people. The states' governors likely get to pick their replacements. Since there are many more Republican governors than Democrats that's futile. Even if they could be removed the issue of a quorum would likely prevent the remaining Democrats in Congress from any action at all.

I don't think Martial Law is the tool you're looking for to obtained your desired objectives. I think you'd need a coup and replace the Constitution with a dictatorship.

My apologies in advance for taking your proposal seriously.

Fern

Last edited:

Bart*Simpson

Jul 21, 2015
www.canadaka.net
And put the Republicans in congress on trial as guilty of treason. I wonder where the people of the country would come down on that, if it might be a way around the state legislatures criminal gerrymandering.

Over 100 million of us are armed. Most of the people who are armed are Republicans.

Do the math.

Feb 4, 2009
Over 100 million of us are armed. Most of the people who are armed are Republicans.

Do the math.

The instant one got shot 90% would head home. The instant a whole family was executed for having a gun 90% would turn them in. The instant surrounding houses were bulldozed for not turning gun owners in they'd be a lot of informants.
I do get your point but people romanticize about standing up to the man too much.
Look at the ME or parts of Africa. Tons of military grade guns. Are they safer or somehow more free because of it?

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2013

Do the math.

Be afraid. The revolution is here.

449x497xscreen-shot-2014-05-20-at-8-33-33-am-png-pagespeed-ic-ptz7eyu-yt.jpg

Bart*Simpson

Jul 21, 2015
www.canadaka.net
The instant one got shot 90% would head home. The instant a whole family was executed for having a gun 90% would turn them in.

The instant a whole family was executed for having a gun the war would become unstoppable.

I do get your point but people romanticize about standing up to the man too much.

Yet Donald Trump is the GOP nominee. Seems we still stand up to the man and tell him to go fucvk himself even when he tells us to vote for Jeb!

Look at the ME or parts of Africa. Tons of military grade guns. Are they safer or somehow more free because of it?

That's a mixed bag. They are inarguably free from European colonialism because in most cases they had weapons and they used them to kill Europeans. But in many of those countries it's now a crime for an ordinary person to have a gun, or it's a crime for a non-Muslim to have a gun...as it is in ISIS controlled Syria and Iraq. Say what you will, but if you're a non-Muslim living in the Levant you need a gun. You need a lot of guns.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
The instant one got shot 90% would head home. The instant a whole family was executed for having a gun 90% would turn them in. The instant surrounding houses were bulldozed for not turning gun owners in they'd be a lot of informants.

that's about as dumb as moombeam thought's.

Not that it matters. Obama won't and can't impose martial law.

Feb 4, 2009
that's about as dumb as moombeam thought's.

Not that it matters. Obama won't and can't impose martial law.

You're right I was just running with it. I'd simply prefer to have a military that won't observe such a blatant illegal order.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Yes. I have been waiting too long to take my rightful seat as your next SCOTUS justice. :mad:

BudAshes

Lifer
Jul 20, 2003
The instant a whole family was executed for having a gun the war would become unstoppable.

Yet Donald Trump is the GOP nominee. Seems we still stand up to the man and tell him to go fucvk himself even when he tells us to vote for Jeb!

That's a mixed bag. They are inarguably free from European colonialism because in most cases they had weapons and they used them to kill Europeans. But in many of those countries it's now a crime for an ordinary person to have a gun, or it's a crime for a non-Muslim to have a gun...as it is in ISIS controlled Syria and Iraq. Say what you will, but if you're a non-Muslim living in the Levant you need a gun. You need a lot of guns.

How is trump not the man? I'm always confused by people who say he's going to stop corporate greed and take down the establishment. He is a corporate billionaire who has based his life on greed. How does that make any sense? I guess it's just because he's not a politician, but he's actually worse, he's a reality TV star. He will probably pick a Kardashian as his VP. If my choices are Hilary Clinton and Donald Trump I'm going to just abstain from voting. I'll stick to the local elections that can actually make a difference.

Bitek

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001

Holy shit, were you always this coo-coo and I never noticed?

Whatever Spidey. Those Bundy losers said the same thing in OR and it ended up with one nutjob dead and the others in prison.

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
A mother of a friend of mine won't take out a loan to do some repairs on her house because she is scared to death of Obama declaring martial law and invalidating her right to home ownership, confiscating her property for the state.

o_Oo_O white wing radio is to blame for redicoulus shit like this.

Feb 4, 2009
Holy shit, were you always this coo-coo and I never noticed?

Whatever Spidey. Those Bundy losers said the same thing in OR and it ended up with one nutjob dead and the others in prison.

And needed pizza(?) and ding dongs because they get hungry

Mxylplyx

Diamond Member
Mar 21, 2007

I am rather intrigued by this alter ego you have developed as of late.

WHAMPOM

Diamond Member
Feb 28, 2006
So are you also in favor of your sports team playing dirty if you feel the opposing team played dirty? Do you think the US should commit war crimes because other countries do? Should we just start executing Muslims because ISIS commits crimes against non Muslims? Do you think before you post at all?

Gosh! You need to pick better examples then that.

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
I wonder what the first state to secede will be?

Hard to tell as every Repub controlled state in the nation will, at the exact precise instant, do anything and everything they can to be the first.

May the most conniving and treacherous one win. ;)

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
I am rather intrigued by this alter ego you have developed as of late.

I don't think Moonbeam is a person, I think Moonbeam is a title handed out in some dark ritual performed in the secret lifer forum.

Sonikku

Lifer
Jun 23, 2005
Ah, the lifer forum. A forum so secret, I still don't see it anywhere despite supposedly having access. :(

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Ah, the lifer forum. A forum so secret, I still don't see it anywhere despite supposedly having access. :(

Sorry, The ATOT legislature voted and you can only enter the lifer forum via the gender on your birth certificate. :\

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Everybody knows how important it is to replace the honorable and objective Scalia with an equally honorable and objective judge that would decide completely the opposite of him, and we have a nominee who actually might fall reasonably in the middle and the Republicans block him? I see this as criminal. Why does that not make counter criminal OK. Why don't liberals react the same as conservatives when they get fucked. Why do they just whine about being superior intellectually. Fucking idiots. Who wants to be on the no nuts team. You can teach a dog to role over and play dead.