Should more Online shooters have long breaks in the action, like Counterstrike?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

hdeck

Lifer
Sep 26, 2002
Originally posted by: JAG87
the reason cs is such a good game (and im talking about 1.6, not source) is because it requires pretty much every skill in gaming.

it requires stealth
it requires reaction time
it requires good aim
it requires recoil control
it requires good vision (some models are hard to spot in certain maps)
ir requires good hearing
it requires hand-eye syncronization
it requires team work
it requires good communication

What is required to be good at unreal or quake? quick reaction time, and a sturdy keyboard, thats it.

I dont think any other game will ever match cs 1.6, in fact I think I will still be playing it 10 years from now, and it will still have the most online players.

you're simplifying it a bit. if you're just pubbing cs you don't need half those "requirements," just like if you play quake or ut competitively you need much more than just quick reaction time and a sturdy keyboard.

if you want to actually be good at quake, you need aim, reaction time, knowing the maps inside and out, knowing item spawn timers, know where your opponent is going to spawn, etc. at the highest level, quake isn't just running around shooting each other. there is a ton of strategy involved.

skace

Lifer
Jan 23, 2001
Originally posted by: hdeck
you're simplifying it a bit. if you're just pubbing cs you don't need half those "requirements," just like if you play quake or ut competitively you need much more than just quick reaction time and a sturdy keyboard.

if you want to actually be good at quake, you need aim, reaction time, knowing the maps inside and out, knowing item spawn timers, know where your opponent is going to spawn, etc. at the highest level, quake isn't just running around shooting each other. there is a ton of strategy involved.

In fact, knowing stuff like spawn timers and maps inside out would be considered "middle-tier" things to know. The advanced stuff is people who know 30 second strategies that will tip the game in their favor. How to react to someone else getting the pent/quad/red armor/etc besides just eating it. And some of the more advanced bunny hops, like aerowalk, where the only way to get the red armor is with a rocket jump, bhop, or jumping off a teamates head.

As far as long breaks. Some of the more intense and fun action in TF2 comes from the sudden death rounds. I wouldn't mind seeing a mod that implemented CS style rounds for TF2. I think it would be pretty fun. I've been thinking of several mods that would be fun for TF2:

- CS style CP maps where respawns are done in rounds
- King of the hill CP map where there is only 1 capture point and 1 team has to hold it for a specific period of time, most likely located in the center of the map.
- Map where a player has to grab the intelligence and then hold onto it for a period of time (instead of capping it).

Dec 27, 2001
Originally posted by: dighn
Originally posted by: HeroOfPellinor
It's funny. Most people complain how mindless entertainment has become. Repetitive television shows, shallow movies, bland music.......and then here you guys are complaining that a form of entertainment requires too much thought.

I like games that require thought, though it is not a requirement that I place on my online FPS. I usually play these games as a change of pace to other things, so what I want from them is action, and CS is short on it if you don't play focused and carefully which is not how I play it. I like to play relaxed, maybe screw around a bit at times; heck half the time I play, I'm barely awake. Make a mistake in CS, you sit out a couple of minutes. Make a mistake in TF2, you come right back. Anyway I don't play online FPS very often (no, it's not because I suck). TF2 is the only one I play atm and only occasionally, so my perspective is probably very different from yours.

Well, here's my thing. To me, the whole point of a multiplayer FPS is the competition. Otherwise, I'll just play a single player game, right? I mean why bother with the multiplayer if a bunch of bots will accomplish the same thing for you.......minus the racist/sexist chat of course.

Sureshot324

Diamond Member
Feb 4, 2003
As far as long breaks. Some of the more intense and fun action in TF2 comes from the sudden death rounds. I wouldn't mind seeing a mod that implemented CS style rounds for TF2. I think it would be pretty fun. I've been thinking of several mods that would be fun for TF2:

Agreed. It seems like a as soon as a sudden death round starts the adreneline level goes up since you know that if you die, you can't respawn.

Sureshot324

Diamond Member
Feb 4, 2003
Originally posted by: Red Storm
The one life per round system is what drove me away from CS:S and towards DoD:S. For the most part when I play multiplayer I can't count on my team mates to do the right thing, so me sitting there in spec watching us lose is no fun.

CoD4 has different game types you can play. Some of them are near instant spawn, some of them are like CS:S. The best method is to put the choice in the player's hands.

The thing about the putting the choice in the players hands is most players will choose not to have to wait after dying, even though this might actually make the game worse.

Imagine if counterstrike offered the option of timed respawns instead of the round based sytem from the beginning. I think most players would have chosen timed respawns so they wouldn't have to wait so long after dying, but I think Counterstrike would never have been as popular becuase timed respawns would actually make that game worse.

I'm not saying games like COD4 should force players to use the round system, I just think more future developers should consider basing their games around it.

JBT

Lifer
Nov 28, 2001
I know most people are generalizing when they say sitting around for 5 minutes after a round is over sucks. But in reality I don't think any server ive played on even has a 5 minutes round limit. Unless you die instantly your probably waiting 2-3 minutes max.

With that said I like CS alot. It adds alot to the strategy and interaction with the other players.

RandomFool

Diamond Member
Dec 25, 2001
www.loofmodnar.com
Originally posted by: EvilComputer92
Originally posted by: HeroOfPellinor
So I think respawn games level the playing field a little which makes players feel better than they really are. Safety in numbers, I guess. Maybe you won't take the guy out, but the guy next to you will finish him off for you or take him out before he can kill you. In CS, as a noob or just a lousy player, you're going to be owned hard until you develop as a player. So it's not so much the fun factor, but, rather, the esteem factor that draws people to games with quick or instant respawn timers.

Totally False. CS requires half the skill of games like Unreal Tournament or Quake 3. In CS, it's always easy to get some cheap shot on a player who is probably 50 times better than you are and then camp in some obscure corner of the map until the round timer ends. UT does not allow you this luxury. If a player is truly better than you, it will be nearly impossible to kill him. He will dodge and jump like crazy and you will have a hard time getting a single shot to hit him. Meanwhile he will have perfected his accuracy to a point where you'll be dead before you have a chance to fight him properly.

There is no safe place on a map in these games. CS is much more noob friendly then anything fast paced.

I don't think either game is more noob friendly. You can get cheap shots in either game. I've had plently of times where I got a lucky spawn and managed to take out better players in UT. Sure you can camp somewhere in CS but you don't win by doing that but most good players in CS know where the hiding spots are and check them anyway. At the higher levels of either game if you are new and/or suck then you will die.

I think what turns a lot of people off about fast paced shooters is how often they die. Spawn, die, Spawn, die gets frustrating after awhile. CS is easier to get into because it makes people watch the other players when they die which in theory gives them a better idea of how to play.

Coldkilla

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2004
Ahahaha CS/Unreal/CoD/DoD/TF2 are all the same, brainless non-stop-action crap... pick one.