Should more Online shooters have long breaks in the action, like Counterstrike?

Sureshot324

Diamond Member
Feb 4, 2003
I've been trying to get into another online shooter but none of them grab me like counterstrike did. I think I big part of the reason is most of the new ones have near constant action with no breaks, which gets kind of monotonous. In Counterstrike the longer breaks make it more social. It's more fun when you can get to know the people you're fragging! Also, when you're the last one left on your team, you KNOW everyone else is watching you through chasecam, which makes it more exciting, especially when you pull off a really nice kill.

Thoughts?

Red Storm

Lifer
Oct 2, 2005
The one life per round system is what drove me away from CS:S and towards DoD:S. For the most part when I play multiplayer I can't count on my team mates to do the right thing, so me sitting there in spec watching us lose is no fun.

CoD4 has different game types you can play. Some of them are near instant spawn, some of them are like CS:S. The best method is to put the choice in the player's hands.

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
CS is the game I have spent the most time EVER playing. I loved the game. Very fun to play. COD4 Hardcore mode you have to wait until the round is over. Constantly spawning doesn't really detract from the gameplay. It just makes for much faster gameplay. Maybe you arn't into it. Just your preference. If the game is good, it doesn't matter to me either way.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
hell no. i hate games like that. i want to play the game, not sit and watch other people play it.

dighn

Lifer
Aug 12, 2001
Originally posted by: pontifex
hell no. i hate games like that. i want to play the game, not sit and watch other people play it.

if you sucked less you could!

but seriously, I hate that too. I prefer TF2's style of non-stop action to CS.

Scouzer

Lifer
Jun 3, 2001
Originally posted by: dighn

if you sucked less you could!

but seriously, I hate that too. I prefer TF2's style of non-stop action to CS.

Well, modded TF2 because out of the box TF 2 has 20 second respawns =\

Schadenfroh

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2003

:thumbsup:

That is one reason why I much preferred Desert Combat to CS back in my FPS online gaming days.

Ika

Lifer
Mar 22, 2006
I play CS:S Deathmatch when I'm not playing well enough to stay alive long enough.

Dec 27, 2001
I like the CS style more. The main reason is that it's kind of a mini penalty for dying. Which gives some incentive to not dying. As it is, in TF2, as a spy, when I have a shot at a medic, even when he's in a crowd or next to a sentry gun, I'll take it and consider it a good trade because I'll be back in 10 seconds. In CS, you don't want to die and wait, but playing defensively is the best way to a 1:2 KD ratio, so there is a dilema to be faced each round between being aggressive and preserving your own health which makes it far more compelling and challenging.

CP5670

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2004

Same here. I want to spend what little time I have for games these days actually playing as much as possible.

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
Originally posted by: HeroOfPellinor
I like the CS style more. The main reason is that it's kind of a mini penalty for dying. Which gives some incentive to not dying. As it is, in TF2, as a spy, when I have a shot at a medic, even when he's in a crowd or next to a sentry gun, I'll take it and consider it a good trade because I'll be back in 10 seconds. In CS, you don't want to die and wait, but playing defensively is the best way to a 1:2 KD ratio, so there is a dilema to be faced each round between being aggressive and preserving your own health which makes it far more compelling and challenging.

You put it well. You make sure you are going to stay alive as long as possible in CS. In games like TF2 or say COD4 I usually run and gun and not be defensive.

rstrohkirch

Platinum Member
May 31, 2005
Originally posted by: zerocool84
CS is the game I have spent the most time EVER playing. I loved the game. Very fun to play. COD4 Hardcore mode you have to wait until the round is over. Constantly spawning doesn't really detract from the gameplay. It just makes for much faster gameplay. Maybe you arn't into it. Just your preference. If the game is good, it doesn't matter to me either way.

Hardcore "mode" is no reticle, hud, and increased damage. It's independent of the game type your playing just like Classic and Old School modes.

Kaspian

Golden Member
Aug 30, 2004
Originally posted by: CP5670

Same here. I want to spend what little time I have for games these days actually playing as much as possible.

I'm part of this club as well. My gaming time is limited.

mundane

Diamond Member
Jun 7, 2002
I don't mind 10-25 second respawn timers. Some control point TF2 maps are damn near impossible with instant respawn.

Xavier434

Lifer
Oct 14, 2002
The problem with what you are suggesting is that it bores more customers than it entertains them. It would just be adding one more small reason for some customers not to buy the game in favor of something else. There are so many FPS games to compete with.

RandomFool

Diamond Member
Dec 25, 2001
www.loofmodnar.com
I don't mind it so much these days. When I first started playing CS it drove me crazy sitting around waiting like that.

I like TF2's method with the wait before respawn. Gives you incentive to not die and lets you get back into the action pretty quickly.

TecHNooB

Diamond Member
Sep 10, 2005
I love the social aspects of CS! I like action too. CS/BF2 fill both voids :)

40Hands

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2004
Originally posted by: RandomFool
I don't mind it so much these days. When I first started playing CS it drove me crazy sitting around waiting like that.

I like TF2's method with the wait before respawn. Gives you incentive to not die and lets you get back into the action pretty quickly.

:thumbsup:

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Originally posted by: RandomFool

I concur. I actually enjoy watching my team trying to win without me in CS and the spawn times in TF2 are just about right for the most part.

KT

DannyLove

Lifer
Oct 17, 2000
Cs was its own category, round based.

Was fun while it lasted, i'm more into stradegy based shooters so spawn time doesn't matter to me, i could wait 15 seconds no problem. Makes you wonder what you did wrong.

Dumac

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2005
I don't enjoy instant respawn. It turns the game into a mindless rush and gun scenario with no consequence really for dying.

CS and TF2 have better ideas, IMO. I enjoy the round-based play of CS. If I die, I can plan and prepare mentally for the next round.

Chosonman

Golden Member
Jan 24, 2005
CS is awesome. I think the mini death penalty is what makes the game exciting and suspenseful. If they expanded on the game play that would be a boost, but no vehicles please.

Chosonman

Golden Member
Jan 24, 2005
Just to add, if players don't camp excessively and follow their objectives CS is a very fun game.

tigersty1e

Golden Member
Dec 13, 2004
It depends on the game scenario..

Round based works great with CS because of the idea of counter-terrorists engaging terrorists.

But for BF2, 15 second respawns work great because of the all out war battles.