Should members of Congress be allowed to hold dual citizenship?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

RampantAndroid

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2004
My mother is originally Swiss. She's now a naturalized citizen but still has her Swiss citizenship as well. You don't automatically lose previous citizenships.

Yeah, a lot of countries allow it. Phillipines/US, UK/US...Aussie/US I think too.

Hell, to lose your UK citizenship you actually have to have the parliament vote on it, or the queen take action, afaik.

Nemesis 1

Lifer
Dec 30, 2006
NO To represent the people of this country 1 citizenship only , The problem is what you gett with like obummer .. Building a school im kenya with tax money . Screw that .. Obummer wants kenya to have better schools he damn well should pay for it , Not american tax payers.

emperus

Diamond Member
Apr 6, 2012
Do you really believe people with dual citizenship would side with the other during a time of war? That is awfully paranoid of you to think that.

That is the question. When you have dual citizenship you belong to two countries. Which is the "other" side to them? What guarantees they choose the US vs the other country they are a citizen of.

RampantAndroid

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2004
NO To represent the people of this country 1 citizenship only , The problem is what you gett with like obummer .. Building a school im kenya with tax money . Screw that .. Obummer wants kenya to have better schools he damn well should pay for it , Not american tax payers.

Seriously? So what you just told me is that you want it to be illegal to a person from the UK to come to the US, go through ALL the work to become a citizen - a process that takes OVER 10 YEARS, then wait the 7 years before qualifying to be a representative and be elected?

Give me a break. Again, it takes years of patience, work and effort to become a citizen, and beyond that to be a senator or a rep you must be a citizen for 9 or 7 years respectively before you can run. I think I'm OK with the idea that someone must wait at least 17 years after coming to the US to become an elected official.

monovillage

Diamond Member
Jul 3, 2008
It's not a matter of "being allowed" if there isn't a compelling reason to make something illegal then it should, by default, be legal. Since I can see no compelling reason to remove a politicians dual citizenship the it should be legal.

com·pel·ling
adjective \kəm-ˈpe-liŋ\
Definition of COMPELLING
: that compels: as
a : forceful <a compelling personality>
b : demanding attention <for compelling reasons>
c : convincing <no compelling evidence>
&#8212; com·pel·ling·ly adverb
See compelling defined for English-language learners »
Examples of COMPELLING

The novel was so compelling that I couldn't put it down.
He made a compelling argument.
I would need a very compelling reason to leave my job.
She had a compelling need to share what she had heard.

First Known Use of COMPELLING

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/compelling

RampantAndroid

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2004
It's not a matter of "being allowed" if there isn't a compelling reason to make something illegal then it should, by default, be legal. Since I can see no compelling reason to remove a politicians dual citizenship the it should be legal.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/compelling

Agreed. I think the requirements to become a citizen and further requirements to become an elected official at the federal level are sufficient.