• nay

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mysticjbyrd

Golden Member
Oct 6, 2015
What say you, yea or nay?

Since the op has not answered any questions, and this is an inflammatory post, I am locking this.
Markfw900

Last edited by a moderator:

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
Take it away so Nvidia can make a mid range CPU and charge us $1,000.00 for it! I'm game, so long as they gimp it on the cache.

ShintaiDK

Lifer
Apr 22, 2012
You are not going to get anyone to make x86 CPUs against Intel. The barrier is too high.

BigDaveX

Jun 12, 2014
Who were the last new company to try competing in the x86 processor space? The most recent one that I remember was Transmeta, and even that was done in a "software emulation on VLIW" format (and, you know, really not very successful at all).

jhu

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
What say you, yea or nay?

Not sure what you're asking exactly. What patents are you talking about? There isn't 1 patent just for x86. It's many thousands that aren't necessarily specific to x86. A lot have also expired too.

I mean, if you want to make and sell a Pentium Pro clone, no one can stop you (other than lack of demand) because all the patents related to that processor have all expired.

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
You are not going to get anyone to make x86 CPUs against Intel. The barrier is too high.

Too high? Well hell, AMD does it on nearly zero budget right now. Its going OK for them. I'd imagine someone like Samsung or Apple could put up a good fight.

Elixer

Lifer
May 7, 2002
Used to be, patents expired.

Sure, but the OP didn't state the reason for the poll.
It could have been any number of things.

For the record, I think all patents should have a fixed end date, with no extension.
There is no reason why Mickey Mouse (for example) isn't in the public domain by now.

Having a instruction set is only part of the problem, there are too many other patents in the way to even be able to use the socket these days...

ShintaiDK

Lifer
Apr 22, 2012
Too high? Well hell, AMD does it on nearly zero budget right now. Its going OK for them. I'd imagine someone like Samsung or Apple could put up a good fight.

Its going outright terrible for them and it only gets worse. Its a black hole for money without any hope of change. And that's with having x86 to build on to begin with. Rather than a fresh start.

We had 20+ x86 makers. They all stopped for the same reason.

ARM companies are also disappearing left and right if you notice.

And forget Samsung, unless they do some drastic R&D spending changes.
top-RD-semi.png

Last edited:
Mar 10, 2006
If Intel's x86 ownership gets revoked, people should be able to build ARMv8.1 CPUs royalty free, too ;)

KingFatty

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2010
As the technology evolves over time, the company will usually continue to file patents on the newly arising ideas and create a patent "thicket" to serve as a cloud of protection for the general area of technology. Old tech becomes obsolete and drops out, from both the product perspective and the patent coverage (due to expiration of those older patents).

There is no single mega ultra "the" x86 patent that I'm aware of, so you'd have to invalidate a sweeping mass of many hundreds, perhaps thousands, of patents to get at what Intel actually sells as a CPU.

mysticjbyrd

Golden Member
Oct 6, 2015
Sure, but the OP didn't state the reason for the poll.
It could have been any number of things.

For the record, I think all patents should have a fixed end date, with no extension.
There is no reason why Mickey Mouse (for example) isn't in the public domain by now.

Having a instruction set is only part of the problem, there are too many other patents in the way to even be able to use the socket these days...

Any reason you would like. Monopoly sounds like a good one to me though. Intel has been in hot water in Eu many times over this.

Status
Not open for further replies.