Should Intel cancel IvyBridge altogether?

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

anikhtos

May 1, 2011
Are you just guessing and making things up as you go along? How are you determining that power consumption is the same? Have you read even a single review? Every one shows consumption is lower. Including the review here at AT.
well when intel marks them both at 45 watt tdp
how much diferense there can be???
and all the sites are goign for the high models
for some models is almost impossible to find any review so you go with the % of ghz to determine what ought to be the perfomanse

chimaxi83

Diamond Member
May 18, 2003
i am not comperign software to hardware issues
i simply answered to someone that brought the matter to software levels
wihsing me never to find a job
and that he works in a software company that release software bugy
and they wont try to fix all the bugs
i never compared software to hardware
and there can not be any comparison because they are diferent things.

as for me the last year i am intrigued by the idea of a fairy strong system that can be pasively cooled and still run pretty cool
apparenlty ivy will not do that for me
was holding for ivy release cause i belived it may have lower temps than ivy or even lower consumption
aparently temp is worse and power consumption is the same
i am refering to the t chips that have 45watt!!?!?!?!?
can anyone figure out why intel could not lower the power consumption to this low power chips to 35 watt??
ivy is gone down 18 watt from 95 to 77
but the power efficient chips consume the same 45 to 45 watt
can i express my disapointment now?!?!?!
also was thinking of a xeon chip e3 line just for the ecc support but the e3 v2 chips will not have pci-e v3 support!!!!!!!!!!!!!
so i will end buying an e3-1260l and call it an end

by the way i want to thank the virge moderator for bying so unbiased
got 2 mesages for thread crapping when i got 2 times personal attacks in this thread and i do not see him intervere to keep the forum at a techical level
keep being unbiased virge the forum loves you
but i bet intel does

He's a troll, check out the post he made in Off Topic about Ivy.

Also, nice callout lol

SickBeast

Lifer
Jul 21, 2000
He's a troll, check out the post he made in Off Topic about Ivy.

Also, nice callout lol
He's not a troll. He is hilarious and a nice guy as well. Plus he seems to be quite knowledgeable.

If you guys want to shut down guys like this then you are no fun IMO. anikhtos's photos made me laugh and I enjoyed them.

anikhtos

May 1, 2011
He's not a troll. He is hilarious and a nice guy as well. Plus he seems to be quite knowledgeable.

If you guys want to shut down guys like this then you are no fun IMO. anikhtos's photos made me laugh and I enjoyed them.
well the photoes were supposed to be a joke
that was the off topic all about
lets go there and laught with the cpu
after all 6 months later we will be dealing with somethign new
so why not make a bit of fun?
i moved it to off topic cause some people in here were hmmmmmm
even more warm blooded than ivy lolllllllll
and by the way i am not a fanboy to any company
i will by the best that will suit my needs
i would love if the industry had more competion
we are left with 3 option in graphics (counting intel as well cause lot of people will be 100% with that)
at hard drives few companies but we prefer to look at ssd market which still has baby tooth issues
i bought a 16gb ramdrive for 350$ and the ram for another 300$ ouch it was rather expensive but it worth it and until now i do not feel that easy on buying an ssd
i have my share of enthusiastiv buys as long as my financial allows me to go

and after all we are enthusiast we are supposed to complain for the tinest bit wrong
why the cpu is not 0.0000001 faster??? damn you amd or intel you choose
as it would made any sense
we argue for ram higher frequensy or stricter timings for what
for diferense seen in benchmarks (personaly i prefer timings)
and when someone says ohhhhh ivy is hotter than sandy everyone is all over me to kill me
for what?? are we enthusiast or intel sellers?
even if it was 0.1c hoter we ought to complain
why
because computers is our hobby
all the time searching the net for the best components
the time and efford to build a rig 4 times more expensive that a casual offer to be 10% the best faster why????
are not the same people in here that we are talking how to apply the tim to maximize the efficiency even if that is 1 degre!?!??!

we are the same people that spent so much time online in this forum just for a tick in a system that can not even been seen in benchamrks if we consider the % of error lol

so yes ivy is the best cpu ever made
satisfied?
i do not give a damn any more
even if virge through me out of the forum
for what coming here to get insulted in personal level ???
having my threads locked
my mesages deleted

people replying to what ever they think i say
without actyally make any efford to read what i have said

okey i may do some errors in spelling or i use i few words diferent than you
i used the heat as for temperature and all in here as power
who is right?? it does not matter
when i try to reply with numbers and start a conversation noone replies to that and get personal attack

Re: the bolded. Post smarter. It'll help you stay out of needless trouble. Read our guidelines. Here's one you missed:

13) Baiting moderators will not be tolerated nor will Mod Call Outs. Any action that reasonably can be considered baiting a moderator, or multiple consecutive actions that heavily push the boundaries of any of these guidelines will result in an instant short term vacation. Repeated violation of this rule may result in a permaban.

Re: the red. You went to OT, where juvenile jokes like you mistakenly wanted to post in VC&G are allowed. In OT, others have that same freedom, and you are going to encounter some posters who will make it their business to sarcastically expose every hole in your game.

Don't want that kind of response? Simple, don't make the kind of caustically irreverent post that you did.

Again, read our guidelines, then post smarter.

Perknose
Forum Director

Last edited by a moderator:

SickBeast

Lifer
Jul 21, 2000
anikhtos you're new here so let me just tell you that mod "call outs" are not allowed; you're not allowed to say anything bad about the mods. I know this from experience, believe me, I've gone postal on the mods before and I paid the price. Virge is a good guy as well; he's just enforcing the rules and they are pretty strict here.

Basically what I'm saying is to take it to the "moderator discussions" forum and just let it go. It's like when a ref makes a bad call in a soccer match; complaining about it is just going to piss him off and make matters worse.

Good luck and I hope you stick around. I enjoyed your threads and photos.

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
I think that, with Ivy Bridge, Intel accomplished what they set out to do: A successful transaction to a smaller manufacturing process with a modest increase in performance in accordance with their per-determined timeline.

However, I do think that heat is an issue, and I personally don't think Intel is going to completely ignore it, but I don't what their time frame will be for any changes. They could release something like an "E" chip with better thermals, or they could just wait until their next generation chip.

Not because us overclockers are complaining, but because OEMs are not going to like having to redesign computers to deal with that the significant amount of heat these things put out while keeping the systems as quiet as their customers have come to expect.

2is

Diamond Member
Apr 8, 2012
I think that, with Ivy Bridge, Intel accomplished what they set out to do: A successful transaction to a smaller manufacturing process with a modest increase in performance in accordance with their per-determined timeline.

However, I do think that heat is an issue, and I personally don't think Intel is going to completely ignore it, but I don't what their time frame will be for any changes. They could release something like an "E" chip with better thermals, or they could just wait until their next generation chip.

Not because us overclockers are complaining, but because OEMs are not going to like having to redesign computers to deal with that the significant amount of heat these things put out while keeping the systems as quiet as their customers have come to expect.

OEMs won't have to. At default clocks and voltage IB doesn't run any hotter than SB, maybe even slightly cooler.

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010

I dunno, the 17W processor is getting +200 base and +300 turbo. Add to it the IPC improvement and the better graphics it's a nice improvement.

The heat only becomes an issue when you get well over 4 Ghz, and it sure looks like it's going to be a long time before Intel sells one in any kind of real volume. Considering that desktops are becoming less of a priority for Intel, it's not something they have to deal with at this point.

tcclaviger

Dec 21, 2011
Should they just cancel IB and sell SB chips while they refine 22nm and get Haswell right?

I mean, what's the point of it when people can't get it to 5 GHZ without generating a ton of heat?

Epic troll is epic!

Seriously though, by your argument Intel should have stuck with refining the Pentium 4 platform, it had the potential to scare FAR higher than anything we have now if refined for 7 years with die shrinking all the way to 22nm.

IPC > Clock Speed.

tcclaviger

Dec 21, 2011
Also have to add:

Get over your "OMG I WANA MAD HUGE OC ON AIR" mentality and welcome to what was LONG the norm for CPUs of needing a good custom Loop or Extreme to get serious overclocks.

tcclaviger

Dec 21, 2011
Sit down dude

edit: and learn how to use the edit button

I was unaware that I was standing up, standing or sitting doesn't change the fact that Ivy Bridge is fine how it is and the whining 20somethings feel entitled.

EDIT: Nice handle...lol.

Last edited:

Ferzerp

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999
Mine cools just fine.

p951hr.png

n0x1ous

Platinum Member
Sep 9, 2010
Be happy Intel appeases us and offer's K models because if they wanted too they could lock every processor and tell us to go screw ourselves or buy amd

+1 Exactly. I am very appreciative that they continue to offer us K variants for only a few bucks more than the standard versions.

Nov 26, 2005
I was unaware that I was standing up, standing or sitting doesn't change the fact that Ivy Bridge is fine how it is and the whining 20somethings feel entitled.

EDIT: Nice handle...lol.

I think you just mistaken him for not knowing how Ivy Bridge is. I think he knows and was just being sarcastic.

Ferzerp

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999
That HAS to be water, at 4.4 I hit 70C...and I probably have too much TIM on, but too much TIM won't account for 20C difference...

Not water unless you consider an H100 water. It's all in the link. die --> NT-H1 --> more snug IHS ---> IX ---> H100

Those temps are on high fans.

RampantAndroid

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2004
Not water unless you consider an H100 water. It's all in the link. die --> NT-H1 --> more snug IHS ---> IX ---> H100

Those temps are on high fans.

Ahh, ok - for some reason I forgot that you had redone the IHS. Then those temps seem about in line with what I'd expect.

Hopefully my new FT02 will help reduce temps a little too :)