Should I use the registrars DNS server or my webhost's?

erwin1978

Golden Member
Jun 22, 2001
My website is hosted on 0webhost.com and I registered my domain name on Register.com and using their DNS servers. Can I use the DNS server provided by Register.com instead of 0webhost.com? Currently, my domain name will not go to my website. I thought after a few days all the DNS servers around the world will have updated their cache.

mxnerd

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2007
You can use any DNS registration service that provides at least 2 DNS servers. So yes, you can use DNS servers provided by Register.com

erwin1978

Golden Member
Jun 22, 2001
Any special settings I need to configure to use Register.com DNS server? It's currently set as my default DNS server but it is not pointing to my website. If I change the DNS server to 0webhost.com servers then it does point to my website in a couple of days. I'm configuring all this on Register.com website.

If 0webhost.com DNS servers have a record where my website resides, shouldn't the rest of the DNS servers around the world get a copy of that record? Why doesn't Register.com DNS server not have that record?

mxnerd

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2007
You registered your domain name at Register.com so actually Register.com should be the one providing the DNS service in most cases, not 0webhost.com

When you said 0webhost.com is hosting your website, it only means 0webhost.com is serving your website's files and traffic, not DNS servers & DNS service registration.

You should login into your Register.com account and make sure your domain is served by Register.com's DNS servers (at least 2) & edit your website (ex. www.yourdomain.com) records.

http://www.register.com/customersupport/tutorials/cname.rcmx

NesuD

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
My website is hosted on 0webhost.com and I registered my domain name on Register.com and using their DNS servers. Can I use the DNS server provided by Register.com instead of 0webhost.com? Currently, my domain name will not go to my website. I thought after a few days all the DNS servers around the world will have updated their cache.

Either way can work. the big difference is that by using your webhost dns servers your dns records are usually created automatically as part of your hosting service. To use the DNS of your registrar you will have to create all those records yourself at your registrar. Your registrar is not hosting your site so it does not know where to find it on the WWW. You will need at the least an A record pointing to your sites actual location. I honestly see no advantage to using your registrar as your sites dns unless your registrar is also hosting your site. Thing is hosting services often migrate sites to new servers as the expand or update equipment. Using the Hosts dns usually guarantees your records will be updated automatically when this happens.

John Connor

Lifer
Nov 30, 2012
Sounds like your records at Register.com aren't correct. Maybe ask your host what the A Record, CNAME, etc should be.

Pro tip. If Register.com uses Two factor authentication I would use it. I use Namesilo myself.