Solved! Should I use 802.11a/b/g wireless mode or 802.11n/ac/ax mode for AX200?

Coyle

May 15, 2020
The wifi is part of my Asus Rog Strix Gaming Mobo AX200, but is currently set at 802.11a/b/g. Would it be better to switch it to 802.11/n/ac/ax? My internet speed is 40mbps.
(EDIT: I think was not understanding, when going into network settings the first one is the 802.11a/b/g and is highlighted but that's just because it's on top, the following are all active as well, with the ability to change their values etc--would've deleted post but don't see a way.)

Last edited:
Solution
If I understand correctly, this is a client device as integrated onto the motherboard, so you would check which standard your wifi access point or router, etc supports. Yes, it will probably be faster with it set to 802.11/n/ac/ax instead of 802.11a/b/g. Do a speed test, change a setting, do another, or if your router supports showing connected clients, which standard and link quality, that helps too.

I prefer ethernet on a stationary system (opposed to tablet, laptop, phone, etc), but if your wifi isn't at least 11n, I'd get a new router or access point, whatever it takes to get better than 11g. 11n could handle 40Mb, if all ducks are in a row, but AC or better, gives more breathing room, except the older 2.4GHz standards have...

JackMDS

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 25, 1999
It Depends on the capacity of your wireless clients, given that some might have more recent wireless cards that can "cash" on a faster mode.

In any case try to set it to the ac/ax mode it might improve some clients' speed.

:cool:

Coyle

May 15, 2020
It Depends on the capacity of your wireless clients, given that some might have more recent wireless cards that can "cash" on a faster mode.

In any case try to set it to the ac/ax mode it might improve some clients' speed.

:cool:

It has a drop down menu for different "things" like the 802.11a/b/g has a drop down next to it to choose an option for it. Then below it is another 802.11n ac/ax with drop menu for it's options which is set to 802.11 AX. And then below that are continuing other options for different things. Confused me at first because I was setting up a different pc with a usb wifi adapter and it was set to AdaptivityPara or something similar (I don't have it in front of me right now to check but was like that.)

mindless1

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001
If I understand correctly, this is a client device as integrated onto the motherboard, so you would check which standard your wifi access point or router, etc supports. Yes, it will probably be faster with it set to 802.11/n/ac/ax instead of 802.11a/b/g. Do a speed test, change a setting, do another, or if your router supports showing connected clients, which standard and link quality, that helps too.

I prefer ethernet on a stationary system (opposed to tablet, laptop, phone, etc), but if your wifi isn't at least 11n, I'd get a new router or access point, whatever it takes to get better than 11g. 11n could handle 40Mb, if all ducks are in a row, but AC or better, gives more breathing room, except the older 2.4GHz standards have longer range, all else equal.

Solution