Should I use 10w30 oil for summer?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

FDF12389

Diamond Member
Sep 8, 2005
Originally posted by: OILFIELDTRASH
If your manual states its okay to use 10w30 it would be ok. Since you are using synthetic oil I don't see any need to switch the weight. Synthetic oil will give you all the performance you need out of your oil. Also there is nothing wrong with fram filters. I have been using them for years in all my cars and motorcycles I've had. They are the only brand I trust. Also try to stick with one brand of motor oil through the life of your motor.
Also why are you wasting your money on synthetic oil? Your going to pay much more for the oil than the little bit of wear and tear your saving your car unless your car has a high performance motor.

You obviously don't have a clue what you are talking about. The quality control on fram products is the worst in the industry. Also there is absolutely no scientific justification for sticking with one brand of oil.

Jeff7181

Lifer
Aug 21, 2002
FWIW, I know several people in the southern US that use single grade oil in their summer cars. When the temperature never drops below 60 degrees for a good portion of the year and the highs are in the 100's, multi-grade oil doesn't make as much sense as it would in a climate like Michigan.

Vette73

Lifer
Jul 5, 2000
Originally posted by: Jeff7181
FWIW, I know several people in the southern US that use single grade oil in their summer cars. When the temperature never drops below 60 degrees for a good portion of the year and the highs are in the 100's, multi-grade oil doesn't make as much sense as it would in a climate like Michigan.

Multi-grade will perform at and/or better then any single grade for street cars.

A straight 30wt at 100+ degrees will perform no better, maybe worse, then a 5w30 at 100+ degrees.

Jeff7181

Lifer
Aug 21, 2002
Originally posted by: Marlin1975

Multi-grade will perform at and/or better then any single grade for street cars.

A straight 30wt at 100+ degrees will perform no better, maybe worse, then a 5w30 at 100+ degrees.

What makes you say that?

Vette73

Lifer
Jul 5, 2000

What makes you say that?

The Viscosity of a 30wt and 5w30 at 100 degrees will be about 10 cSt. i.e. they will flow the same. The differance is at 40 degrees the cSt of the 5w30 is around high 50's to low 60's while the straight 30wt is low 80s.

So after the oil has warmed up it will perfom the same. But when cool the W weight oil will flow better and protect the motor while the 30wt will be harder to pump and can starve parts of the motor.

Jeff7181

Lifer
Aug 21, 2002

What makes you say that?

The Viscosity of a 30wt and 5w30 at 100 degrees will be about 10 cSt. i.e. they will flow the same. The differance is at 40 degrees the cSt of the 5w30 is around high 50's to low 60's while the straight 30wt is low 80s.

So after the oil has warmed up it will perfom the same. But when cool the W weight oil will flow better and protect the motor while the 30wt will be harder to pump and can starve parts of the motor.

No, I was asking why a straight 30 weight would perform worse above 100 degrees.

Vette73

Lifer
Jul 5, 2000

What makes you say that?

No, I was asking why a straight 30 weight would perform worse above 100 degrees.

It will "perform no better, maybe worse" is what I said. It may perform worse as NO street car calls for 30wt in the US. AS such the addiatives and base stock are not as strong as 5w30. Even the quality of 10w30 has dropped as most cars call for 5w30 and 5w20 2nd.

Jeff7181

Lifer
Aug 21, 2002

What makes you say that?

It will "perform no better, maybe worse" is what I said. It may perform worse as NO street car calls for 30wt in the US. AS such the addiatives and base stock are not as strong as 5w30. Even the quality of 10w30 has dropped as most cars call for 5w30 and 5w20 2nd.
Ok... why MIGHT it perform "worse, then a 5w30 at 100+ degrees?"
Why would the base oil and additives be lower quality in a SAE30 oil than 5w30?
What makes you think the quality of 10w30 has dropped?

What you're saying doesn't make any sense. Wouldn't a more logical explanation be that the requirements of modern engines have changed and oils have improved so that a lighter weight oil can do the same job as a heavier oil and flow more easily to reduce parasitic power loss?

This is pointless... forget it.