Question Should I upgrade my x570 tomahawk mobo?

TechGuy75

Jan 1, 2021
Hi guys. I was planning on doing a 3700x cpu and pair it with a x570 tomahawk, a $200 ish mobo. now I am planning on stepping it up a bit and go with a 3900x. So I am thinking that I need to step my mobo up as well, to do the 3900x justice. Therefore I am looking for an even more highend board than my tomahawk. I am looking at something in the $250 to $300 ish range. I am happy feature wise with my tomahawk, it has all the connections, ports that I need. I am just looking for a mobo that does better with durability, construction, vrms, thermals, just more premium in general. Not sure about overclockin. I probably wont but might over clock the 3900x some, not a lot. Not sure if the 3900x is easy to overclock or even worth it. Might be nice to have the option for the future.

Would a higher end board give me better thermals, better current delivery to the cpu, more durable and longer lasting capacitors, thicker pcb, etc, just a better or higher end experience. Since I am moving to a $500+ cpu, I want to make sure my build is balanced with parts that are of the same level. As mentioned, feature wise the tomahawk is fine for me. I saw the tomohawk reviews out there and it sounds real impressive, especially for its price point. Since I was looking for a $200 ish board at the time, it was a no brainer for me, but now given my cpu upgrade, I m curious as to whats noticeably better.

A couple of boards I am comparing the tomahawk with are:

• Asus rog strix e
  • msi meg unify
your thoughts on these boards or others in this $300 ish price range? Thanks.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
You can likely find reviews on the upper-mid range motherboards as companies generally send them to reviewers. You can read or watch them explain what you get with a particular motherboard. There's really no thing as "balancing" a motherboard with a CPU, it's just advised not pair a flagship $600 CPU with a entry-level motherboard with weak VRMs/components, as the VRM area will run very hot compared to a midrange board and up. Outside of that, you decide what features the motherboard offers (USB ports and internal connections, audio, storage, looks, etc).

Outside of, you really aren't gaining much of anything as the X570 Tomahawk motherboard is built high enough to easily handle any AM4 CPU you could ever put into it.

Last edited:

undertaker101

Banned
Apr 9, 2006
Hi guys. I was planning on doing a 3700x cpu and pair it with a x570 tomahawk, a $200 ish mobo. now I am planning on stepping it up a bit and go with a 3900x. So I am thinking that I need to step my mobo up as well, to do the 3900x justice. Therefore I am looking for an even more highend board than my tomahawk. I am looking at something in the $250 to $300 ish range. I am happy feature wise with my tomahawk, it has all the connections, ports that I need. I am just looking for a mobo that does better with durability, construction, vrms, thermals, just more premium in general. Not sure about overclockin. I probably wont but might over clock the 3900x some, not a lot. Not sure if the 3900x is easy to overclock or even worth it. Might be nice to have the option for the future.

Would a higher end board give me better thermals, better current delivery to the cpu, more durable and longer lasting capacitors, thicker pcb, etc, just a better or higher end experience. Since I am moving to a $500+ cpu, I want to make sure my build is balanced with parts that are of the same level. As mentioned, feature wise the tomahawk is fine for me. I saw the tomohawk reviews out there and it sounds real impressive, especially for its price point. Since I was looking for a $200 ish board at the time, it was a no brainer for me, but now given my cpu upgrade, I m curious as to whats noticeably better.

A couple of boards I am comparing the tomahawk with are:

• Asus rog strix e
  • msi meg unify
your thoughts on these boards or others in this $300 ish price range? Thanks.
TL, DR: No, you should not.

Midwayman

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2000
The only thing you'll get are features like 10g networking etc. The VRM is already excellent. In short unless you really have a documented need for a feature on one of those boards AND it can't be had as a PCIE card, its a really really poor investment. If you want to spend more money, get a 5000 series cpu instead

TechGuy75

Jan 1, 2021
Ok, sounds like build quality, circuitry components, vrms is excellent with the tomahawk. Main reason I asked this question, is that you usually get what you pay for and the boards I listed above are about $100 more than the one I have, so I thought I was missing On something critical. Thanks guys that helps.

So from a features prospective I had a question. The rog strix board has 2 differnt ethernet ports, one from intel and the other from realtek. The realtek is 2.5 gb and the intel is 1 gb. What potential benefits would having 2 provide? Also is intel or realtek ethernet ports considered more reliable/faster, what is preferred?

Midwayman

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2000
Not sure on that board in particular, but with dual NIC you can do teaming sometimes. I had one that did it. Also the other use was running two different networks. For instance I had my regular lan plugged into one and a LAN based camera system over the other. It had performance requirements that required a dedicated NIC.