Question Should I upgrade my motherboard purely to overclcok?

Jerethi

Aug 20, 2001
Is it worth upgrading my motherboard solely to overclock my CPU?

I am running an i9-9900k on a Gigabyte 360HD. Yes, I know, I'm stupid and didn't do my research - I purchased an unlocked CPU for use on a motherboard with a chipset that doesn't support overclocking. Definitely goofed on that one.

I'm coming up on almost 2 years since I completed this build, and the upgrade bug is biting me a little bit. While I don't want to go out and build a whole new system, a part of me yearns to finally get a motherboard that will support overclocking so that I can finally get the full value of the CPU I purchased.

I'm not looking to do anything too crazy. I have a Noctua NH-C14S cooler and don't plan on investing in water cooling or anything like that. I do a fair bit of video editing, and I'd love to get even a little extra juice out of my CPU, but I don't want to push it to the absolute limit.

Any thoughts on whether a motherboard upgrade is worth is solely to overclock this CPU? Since I'm not planning on going to any extremes, am I likely to see a worthwhile performance boost?

Reactions: killster1

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
You're not going to gain much from overclocking that CPU.

IMO, not worth replacing the board and possibly replacing the cooler just to gain a small performance boost.

Save your money and put it towards a complete overhaul when your build no long can do what you need it to based on your usage.

Reactions: DAPUNISHER

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
Any thoughts on whether a motherboard upgrade is worth is solely to overclock this CPU? Since I'm not planning on going to any extremes, am I likely to see a worthwhile performance boost?
With that Noctua cooler, I'd say no. And after reading your thoughts, I'd say skip the whole project. If you need more power sell the CPU and board and go 12th gen.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Hmm, two "No" votes. I was going to vote "Yes", with the caveat, that it wouldn't be for the performance gain, per se, but rather, getting a full-sized ATX board with better "Z-series class" VRMs.

Whether that has value, if OP wants to keep his CPU and rig longer-term, versus as mentioned above, just selling the CPU + board, and buying 12th-Gen ("Alder Lake"), is up to them, I guess.

killster1

Banned
Mar 15, 2007
do you have endless free time and find it fun to upgrade? want more ports better cooling or better audio? i have no idea how much a z390 board would cost but to me it would be worth it, one last question what ram do you own? (since most of the boost will be from faster memory and the cpu not being held back)