Should I take karate?

Mar 15, 2003
I need to lose a lot of weight and also work on my coordination (I'm the type of guy that steps on people/trips on things a lot).. I'm currently working out a bit (Treadmill and weights) but wonder if I should take karate too.. i went to a local place and their rate is pretty high -$150 a month/1 year contract.. I'm unemployed and a full time student so that's pretty damn steep.. But is it worth it? Would it really help my coordination and speed up my fat loss/muscle gain?

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
I need to lose a lot of weight and also work on my coordination
You sound like a perfect person for instructors and other students to take out their aggressions on.

dquan97

Lifer
Jul 9, 2002
That's pretty steep. For coordination, take up juggling. That's a pretty good way to get better.

newbiepcuser

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2001
150 a month?

sounds like a McDojo. I would shop around, you should be able to find one for less than $100.

My Brazilian Jiu-jitsu classes were 99 a month with unlimited training back then.

Why don't you sign up for judo or Akido class at junior college to try it out first.

NikPreviousAcct

No Lifer
Aug 15, 2000
Jesus. I go to a club downtown Portland that's invite-only. The instructor grew up in Japan and trains the local Marines. Five nights a week costs $30/month. Find a real club.

blackdogdeek

Lifer
Mar 14, 2003
imo everyone should take a martial art.

that being said, $150/mo is pretty steep. are there any other schools in the area? does the school offer a trial period? like maybe you can try it for a month or something before you decide if you want to sign for the rest of the year. definitely don't sign a full year contract if you don't know if you'll like it or not unless they have a backout clause in the contract or something.

the training i've done has always been pretty intense cardiovascularly. heart rate was always driven up and always burned lots of calories. a very good workout.

Mar 15, 2003
Originally posted by: blackdogdeek
imo everyone should take a martial art.

that being said, $150/mo is pretty steep. are there any other schools in the area? does the school offer a trial period? like maybe you can try it for a month or something before you decide if you want to sign for the rest of the year. definitely don't sign a full year contract if you don't know if you'll like it or not unless they have a backout clause in the contract or something.

the training i've done has always been pretty intense cardiovascularly. heart rate was always driven up and always burned lots of calories. a very good workout.

They have a $30 two day trial.. I think that's pretty steep as well.. I'm going to shop around.. This place was friendly and suppsoedly the 4th best school in the city.. But I'll try to find a cheaper place..

Rainsford

Lifer
Apr 25, 2001
Originally posted by: Red Dawn
I need to lose a lot of weight and also work on my coordination
You sound like a perfect person for instructors and other students to take out their aggressions on.

I'm not sure where you get your impression about marshal arts schools, but at my school the people who had more natural talent or were better helped out those who needed extra help, often after class for no money, even the instructors did that. And the vast majority of the people there took into account the skill and strength of their opponent when sparring.

That being said, for your purposes I would stay away from the more hardcore schools. I would go to one that is more oriented towards families or people who don't want to become the next Bruce Lee. Go visit them, watch a class, get a feel of the atmosphere. Two things to watch out for. Schools that emphasize competition (competition skills are different and less useful in real life than "normal" karate, so unless that's what you're looking for...), and schools that encourage arrogance and attitude about marshal arts. I don't want to generalize, but I've been to a lot of competitions and the biggest pricks are usually from a hardcore school where they are told that they are badasses. This is probably not what you are looking for for two reasons. First of all, since you need to work on general physical fitness before you can get good, I doubt the more hardcore schools will have the supportive atmosphere you are looking for. Secondly, those kinds of schools miss the entire point of marshal arts in a big way, and I can't recommend arrogance and marshal arts as a good mix.

To be fair to some hardcore schools, I've met people from schools where you train 6 hours a day and such, and some of them of really good schools. Arrogance and hardcore doesn't have to go hand and hand, but it seems to more often than at other schools. That's why I would go take a look.

Rainsford

Lifer
Apr 25, 2001
Originally posted by: FFMCobalt
Jesus. I go to a club downtown Portland that's invite-only. The instructor grew up in Japan and trains the local Marines. Five nights a week costs $30/month. Find a real club.

Dude, I don't exactly think that's what he's looking for. He wants a school, not an invite-only club. There's a big difference, especially for someone looking mainly for basic physical fitness.

AlienCraft

Lifer
Nov 23, 2002
I agree with what everyone has said about looking at dojo's.
What I would look for is a "Mr. Miyagi" rather than a "COBRA Dojo", if I were you.
Good luck....

NikPreviousAcct

No Lifer
Aug 15, 2000
Originally posted by: Rainsford
Originally posted by: FFMCobalt

Dude, I don't exactly think that's what he's looking for. He wants a school, not an invite-only club. There's a big difference, especially for someone looking mainly for basic physical fitness.

True. My bad. :)

Mar 15, 2003
Thanks for all the info (especially from Rain).. .I just called the local YMCA about lessons = only 80 for the whole class. Of course I have to factor in membership costs ($500/yr) but I don't mind as long since using learning how to swim/aerobics classes and other programs will come in mighty handy as well.. I know this is probably not a top-notch school but is it a viable option?

isaacmacdonald

Platinum Member
Jun 7, 2002
you should but go somewhere tough. When I was a kid a had two sensei's. One was all into the technique and perfecing kata. It was good, but it wasn't remotely strenuous (aside from fridays when we got to beat the crap out of each other sparring). The second sensei owned every person in the dojo. I can't remember how I lived through the first 2 hr session of knuckle push-ups and squats, but that guy sure whipped me into shape in no time at all. I'd go for the second kind if I were you.

EmperorRob

Mar 12, 2001
If you take karate to lose wieght you are taking it for the wrong reason. If you want to lose weight try aerobic kickboxing/taebo or take up running or go to the gym.

NikPreviousAcct

No Lifer
Aug 15, 2000
Originally posted by: NeuroSynapsis
it's freaking martial arts

Well, "martial arts" covers more than just Karate. This guy is asking specifically about Karate. Either he wants Karate only.... or doesn't know that there are different forms of martial arts??

bockchow

Platinum Member
Sep 18, 2001
don't do anything with a comiment thats just lame. and even if you start going to a class don't stop looking around you might find something even better. i ended up takeing hawaiian kenpo in a guys backyard for free. he was great and we met 3 times a week after he got off work. he was retired special forces and did it because he enjoyed it.

Mar 15, 2003
Originally posted by: EmperorRob
If you take karate to lose wieght you are taking it for the wrong reason. If you want to lose weight try aerobic kickboxing/taebo or take up running or go to the gym.

Well, I've always wanted to learn karate.. I'm taking it for the immediate goal of weight loss and flexibility/coordination but also think that it would be a great thing to know and an ever better stress reducer..

EmperorRob

Mar 12, 2001
If you want to try it then give it a shot. While it will give you some physical benefits it also requires time and dedication. You will find that the higher in rank you go the more practice time you need. That's why people's closets are full of white and yellow belts. Find a good instructor. That's most important.

Richdog

Golden Member
Feb 10, 2003
Even if you dont do karate you should DEFINATELY do a martial art. I did karate from the age of 8-18 and the confidence it gives you more than makes up for any cost of fees you incurr, and your co-ordination will go throught he roof. The fees you mentioned earlier seem extortionate, theres loads of better deals around. Not to mention also that any fitness makes you feel 10 times better, both for mental well-being and your physical well-being. Go for it! :D:beer:

dtmbb92

May 4, 2003
i took karate for 10 years..got my second degree black belt...and its a very good experience...take it...but find it cheaper

Ornery

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Try being a mason tender or roofer. Carrying two 75 lb bundles of shingles up a ladder with no hands... over and over again will build up your strength and coordination. Oh, and you'll make some bucks instead of spending 'em, and learn a valuable trade as well.