Should I switch to satellite/DSL?

bucwylde23

Diamond Member
Apr 21, 2005
Ok, so it's a long story but I have been have serious problems with adelphia/comcast in trying to resolve an issue with my bill. I have been told 3 separate times over the past 3 or 4 weeks that I would be getting a call from my local office to resolve this issue, and not one call has been made to me.

The latest call was this past monday.

Anyways, I was thinking about switching to Dishnetwork/Embarq(sprint) DSL.

Dishnetwork pricing for my area with 1 HD DVR and 1 Standard DVR:
$250 up front, $50 credit on first bill. Thereafter $45/month for first 10 months, then $65/month. 18 month contract.

Sprint/Embarq DSL/Phone:
$160 first bill, $75 monthly thereafter. This includes caller id/call waiting/3 way. The first bill includes an activation fee which I will supposedly be rebated for on their website.

So, after all the initial fees, cable with less than 10 HD channels and no movie channels plus cable internet right now is $124/month
DSL/satellite will run me $140/month.

Is it worth it to switch? I've never had any experience with satellite and do not know any advantages/disadvantages.

bucwylde23

Diamond Member
Apr 21, 2005
The DSL service will include my first land line. I only use cell phones right now.

nsafreak

Diamond Member
Oct 16, 2001
Well the picture quality for SD should be equal or better than your cable system. HD is a toss up, in some areas cable is better in other areas the cable system isn't so good so the Dish is better. Download speed is another, typically you're going to get better download speeds with cable versus DSL.

bucwylde23

Diamond Member
Apr 21, 2005
Originally posted by: nsafreak
Well the picture quality for SD should be equal or better than your cable system. HD is a toss up, in some areas cable is better in other areas the cable system isn't so good so the Dish is better. Download speed is another, typically you're going to get better download speeds with cable versus DSL.

Download speeds is a big concern of mine also. At this moment, cable has been getting bogged down. but since comcast took over they "claim " they will be upgrading the system. I normally get decent download speeds, but my main use is Xbox live gaming.

But keep in mind, the cable company has seriously pissed me off.

nsafreak

Diamond Member
Oct 16, 2001
Well you're more likely than not going to get a more consistent download speed with DSL than you are with cable. The problem is that it may be significantly slower for DSL, how much slower varies from area to area. I have seen DSL lines achieve a 5 megabit downstream speed but you have to be fairly close to the CO or a remote terminal plus have a good DSLAM in your area for that to happen. I see that you are in Virgina and FIOS is available in some areas (although I'm not sure about your city). Have you checked to see if Verizon's FIOS is available in your area for both broadband and TV?

bucwylde23

Diamond Member
Apr 21, 2005
Originally posted by: nsafreak
Well you're more likely than not going to get a more consistent download speed with DSL than you are with cable. The problem is that it may be significantly slower for DSL, how much slower varies from area to area. I have seen DSL lines achieve a 5 megabit downstream speed but you have to be fairly close to the CO or a remote terminal plus have a good DSLAM in your area for that to happen. I see that you are in Virgina and FIOS is available in some areas (although I'm not sure about your city). Have you checked to see if Verizon's FIOS is available in your area for both broadband and TV?

I am very certain it is not available where I live. We are probably lucky to have cable and dsl.

It is available in a lot of areas where I work (northern VA) but that is the only place I have seen it available.

I think our only options right now are Embarq/sprint dsl and comcast cable. I will have to go to my parent's house and test their connection out. I've never used DSL on a regular basis and from what you are saying it may be worthwhile to test it a bit. I'm not too far from the CO, at the most maybe 1 to 2 miles. I live in a very small town :) My parents are probably right across the road from it.