Should I ski or skiboard?

Riprorin

Banned
Apr 25, 2000
I'm going to the Denver area for work and plan on getting some skiing in. I haven't skied in about 15 years and was never really good at it.

Should I try skiboarding instead of skiing?

I'd like to come back in one piece. Which is better for avoiding injury?

Nefrodite

Banned
Feb 15, 2001
i dunno, but i know snowboarding will give you a sore ass from all the falling:p if you fall on your hands you get a broken wrist:) injury is everywhere for these things. anyways i go with skiing:) go to a local bookstore, they have many skiing tutorial books that give you basic form, where to put your weight etc, and tips. believe me it helps, esp if your paying for privatelessons and stuff.

OutHouse

Lifer
Jun 5, 2000
take lessons on skiboarding ERRRR i mean snowboarding. it is much more difficult than it looks.

azazyel

Diamond Member
Oct 6, 2000
Personally I have never snowboarded nor do I ever plan on it. I just like being able to face the mountain face first not sideways.

arcain

Oct 9, 1999
Skiboarding (not snowboarding) is pretty easy especially if you have previous skiing or rollerblading experience. They're easier to turn with than skis, and you don't really need to worry about crossing them up. If you skiboard, you probably won't need to bother with the bunny hills (when first starting).

http://www.ski-injury.com/ has some statistics on snow riding related injuries. You are more likely (statistically) to suffer an injury skiboarding than skiing because most do not have releaseable bindings.

That said, if you were "never really good at" skiing, you should give skiboarding a try. Getting on the lifts, and flat areas won't be much fun, but I suspect you'll have more fun overall.

mithrandir2001

Diamond Member
May 1, 2001
Wear a snowboard helmet (yes, they make them specific to the sport now) and some wrist guards and you should minimize the risk of injury. Maybe you can shove a pillow in your pants to help with the butt falls, but I doubt it's practical. :D

Noirish

Diamond Member
May 2, 2000

<< i dunno, but i know snowboarding will give you a sore ass from all the falling:p if you fall on your hands you get a broken wrist:) injury is everywhere for these things. >>

snowboarding doesn't give you sored ass even from falling unless you go on a day with no powder.
however, snowboarding can give you sored legs b/c you are attached to the board and you have to drag it all day long.
on the lift, people have the board attached to one leg only so it's tiring.
anyway, it's fun though.

Soulflare

Golden Member
Apr 16, 2000
If you choose skiboards, you'll quickly discover that almost no one else over the
age of 14 are using them. Skis are where it's at. :p

JustinSampson

Aug 11, 2001

<< If you choose skiboards, you'll quickly discover that almost no one else over the
age of 14 are using them. Skis are where it's at. :p
>>

Last time I was checked I was over 14, along with the rest of my freinds who also skiboard...
rolleye.gif

Soulflare

Golden Member
Apr 16, 2000

<<

<< If you choose skiboards, you'll quickly discover that almost no one else over the
age of 14 are using them.
>>

Last time I was checked I was over 14, along with the rest of my freinds who also skiboard...
rolleye.gif
>>

Well, that single-handidly changes the statistical balance of the universe, my mistake...
rolleye.gif

You will notice I did say "almost", and adults certainly don't make up the majority of skiboard
users.

Skiboards are really just short skis with very simple bindings. If you feel like wading through
some unecessary flash crap, you can see some examples of them
here.

duragezic

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
Yah mostly younger people skiboard and I think they're kinda goofy but I have two friends that do and they like them but one got a snowboard now and he's doing that more hehe. Definitely don't ski though hehe.

I think skiboards would be very easy and if you're into it, I think it'd be easy as hell to just bust 720s and sh*t no problem (well landing is a bit harder than on a snowboard or skis though cause they're so short) cause they're so small.

And uh when you go up the lift on the snowboard, put your free foot under the board to support the weight. Or if your by yourself you can strap your other foot in on the lift (although some lift operators b*tch at you for it).

Atlantean

Diamond Member
May 2, 2001
Its snowboard not skiboard. Snowboard, it is way easier. The first day it might seem a little difficult but after that it will be easy.
EDIT: Oops I thought that he meant snowboard. Don't ski or skiboard, snowboard, it is better.

Odoacer

Jun 30, 2001
at first i thought you mean snowboard too but someone clarified it and i know what skiboards are now.... thats only because i just went snowboarding two days ago. I fell down A LOT. I'm still sore, and my ass hurts A LOT. It's not just your legs, my arms are killing me too.

Anyway, try skiing first... i see 5 year olds zzooming down the mountain on skis while i'm sitting on my ass with my snowboard. It looks much easier. tHEN YOU can try skiboarding.

LaBang

Golden Member
Jan 31, 2001
I'd say if it is not a powder day you should try skiboarding. You will have more fun, be better at it and not hurt yourself as much as with skis. If you are going to have more than 3 days on the hills than i might say give snowboarding a try. It is harder at first but once you pick it up (around day 3) you will have SO much fun. Snowboarding is pretty easy to get good at whereas skiing is very hard.

<---- is on a snowboarding team

Swanny

Diamond Member
Mar 29, 2001
Skiing is da bomb! I'd do that.

What resort are you planning to go to? I really like Winter Park. You can ride the ski train up from Denver if you want. I've never done it but I hear it's a really pretty ride.

Riprorin

Banned
Apr 25, 2000
Probably go to Breckenridge with my cousin on Wednesday and then Saturday with my colleagues. For Saturday, we'll want to stay within an hour or so of Fort Collins. Any suggestions on where to go?

MisterPants

Apr 28, 2001
Skiboards are the all-inclusive category into which Saloman's SnoBlades fit. That said, I'd ski. Skiboards aren't very stable, and while theya re easier to learn they aren't nearly as practical for steeper, faster, more challenging skiing as skis or snowboards.