Should I return my MOBO?

hxllywxxd

Nov 14, 2003
I have tried everything... chkdsk (r), low level format, re-flashing the BIOS, new system drivers, memtest, clean re-installs about six times.

I've got the MSI K7n2g ILSR MOBO w/nforce 2, 80 gig seagate barracuda SATA, Barton XP 2500, single 512 Samsung 2700 at 333, in a Lanboy case.

The system ran fine for six months, then, when burning a CD, I received a nonpage_fault error, and when rebooting found that the system32 file was corrupt. Through all of this, I have been given a total of 3 different fatal error messages, none of which I have been able to make fruit from. The common thread through all of this I've found, is that I can put on as many apps (office, acrobat, winDVD) as I want, but when attempting to load the system drivers, specifically when installing the audio driver components, a fatal error occurs, and the entire system32 file becomes corrupt, leaving me entirely driverless.

Any input on this is very appreciated.

Aug 27, 2002
Originally posted by: newbiepcuser
sounds either the RAM or mobo, from my experience MSI is hit or miss.
newbiepcuser <-- has msi grudge

I agree, from the sounds of it though, more than likely the ide controller on your mobo has flaked out, time for an rma.

hxllywxxd

Nov 14, 2003
I really want to conclude it's the MOBO. I can run the system fine, which I have been for the past couple of days, using word, excel, and acrobat, and nothing fatal happens... so long as I don't load the audio drivers. I'll make my final conclusion when the second stick of RAM arrives in the mail (hopefully tommorrow). Thanks for the help.

Mem

Lifer
Apr 23, 2000
which I have been for the past couple of days, using word, excel, and acrobat, and nothing fatal happens... so long as I don't load the audio drivers

Hmmm I not convinced it`s a bad motherboard,could be a software problem,anyway are you using the default Microsoft IDE driver or the nvidia IDE driver?

Microsoft IDE driver is a lot better then the nForce one on stability for quite a lot of nForce users,ram could be the cause you tried memtest86?

link .

hxllywxxd

Nov 14, 2003
As far as I know, I'm using the Nvidia IDE driver, or at least trying to. I have tried memtest86 - I let it run for about 10 hours and it came up completely clean. What do I need to do in order to use the default MS driver rather than Nvidia?