Should I rat this guy out?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Torghn

Platinum Member
Mar 21, 2001
If you don't Rat him out, you're just as bad as he is.

Haven't you seen Spider-Man yet?

Jerboy

Banned
Oct 27, 2001

<< yeah, so he could beat the livin snot out of you! :disgust: >>

I doubt it ;). I won't worry about 80lb scrawny freshman boy beating me up :). If he tries to kick me from behind or something, I'll sit on his face and stay there until he begs me for forgiveness.

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001

<< I'll sit on his face and stay there until he begs me for forgiveness. >>

In your case that would be sexual abuse!

XMan

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
<< << Jerboy, are you going to start a poll about how many time you should wipe your bum after crapping? >>

No I will not.

>>

Just curious, why is that you think everything is your business, Jerboy?

In this case, I can see where you're coming from. But the whole school lunch thing goes along the same lines. Why are you so damn nosy? Sir Fredrick has a GREAT point . . .

That's funny, 'cause you don't mind being a whiny asshole when it comes to people on the school lunch program. And yet when it comes to doing the right thing, you have to ask for advice. hmmm

TallBill

Lifer
Apr 29, 2001

<<

<< I'll sit on his face and stay there until he begs me for forgiveness. >>

In your case that would be sexual abuse!
>>

roflmao :D just what i was thinkin

PowerMac4Ever

Banned
Dec 9, 2000

<< We got 30+ students per class and we can't afford alot of maintenance stuff unless it absolutely must be done. We've had more than a few taped up cracked windows, broken urinals, burned out light bulbs, wall holes >>

Ah... the money that should be going to maintenance is going to those no-lunch kids so they can buy cookies with the tax payer's dollar! Eh, making fun of Jerboy is the new, hip, and cool thing to do now ATOT apparantly. Seriously though, what that punk-ass mofo did is lame. I'd rat him out with a vengeance

Geekbabe

Moderator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Oct 16, 1999
www.theshoppinqueen.com
Hmmm... nobody likes a rat but network admin's dislike thieves and dislike even more the idea that
some rat faced little dweeb was opening systems that they are responsible for without permission.

Is there anyway you could pass along the info to the appropriate people without calling attention to yourself ?

I am amazed at how much my viewpoint has changed now that I've got a couple networks to be responsible for :)

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001

<< Eh, making fun of Jerboy is the new, hip, and cool thing to do now ATOT apparantly. >>

No acting cool and criticizing others for making fun of Jerboy is the new hip thing to do at ATOT.

areohbe

Banned
Oct 14, 2001
rat him out but if the dude has some guys backing him up, be prepared for a beating

i remember back in high school one of my friends was ratted out by some kid because he had some weed on him. got my friend kicked out of the school. His boys came to my class lookin for him and spied him out, and i think jumped him a few days later. Yeah that sounds all juvenile and not hte mature thing to do, but shoot its high school. What ya expect.

Jerboy

Banned
Oct 27, 2001
Originally posted by: PowerMac4Ever
We got 30+ students per class and we can't afford alot of maintenance stuff unless it absolutely must be done. We've had more than a few taped up cracked windows, broken urinals, burned out light bulbs, wall holes
Ah... the money that should be going to maintenance is going to those no-lunch kids so they can buy cookies with the tax payer's dollar!

Well that too!. The school should start giving out rewards for reporting vandalism leading to reimbursement from the responsible party. Reward should be something like 25% of repair cost. School will still lose money, but it's better to lose 25% the repair cost than 100%. All those maintenance I listed except for burned light bulbs aren't necessary if people didn't vandalize them.

By the way, the kid responsible for stealing RAM happens to be on free lunch by the way. I know this, because I have seen this kid buying lunch with free lunch tickets on regular basis.

Eh, making fun of Jerboy is the new, hip, and cool thing to do now ATOT apparantly. Seriously though, what that punk-ass mofo did is lame. I'd rat him out with a vengeance

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
Stuff like this really pisses me off. I used to work a lab technician at my local college, and I must of wasted a few hours each day cleaning up after jerks like this guy. It got so bad that we needed to install padlocks and chains on computers to keep people from stealing parts from them, and even went as far as BOLTING systems to the desks in some classrooms.

If I would seen this guy ripping off stuff, he'd already be sitting in the local prison awaiting bail. I certainly wouldn't be wasting time asking the morality of his decision!

Jerboy

Banned
Oct 27, 2001
Originally posted by: no0b
omfg 22 votes for ratting him out
and 4 votes for doing nothing

Jerboy will you attempt to rat him out? If you do please tell us what happens.

I'm going to report him to the administration today. One of my friend who was sitting a few seats away from me heard the whole chit-chat, so if the administration doubts the authenticity of my story, they can ask my friend. They'll probably call out the thief's friend and these people will probably spit out when they're confronted even don't they won't go report him on their own. I think two or more people acknowledging the kid bragging about this theft and the fact that RAM is missing are enough for the admin to considered them circumstantial evidence. Have I had more solid proof, such as actually seeing him in action, I would have taken it with the school police. It will be more interesting to see that kid getting called in by the police than administration. We have strict policy on theft and anyone caught with solid evidence are usually referred to S.R.O(School Resource Officers, a division of city Police Dept)

Hopefully, he'll get suspended :D:D:D, that way school property will be recovered and I feel justice has been done :)

bmacd

Lifer
Jan 15, 2001
i kinda did the same thing back in H.S. They had just installed a new computer lab and they had these bad ass hubs. I knew the kid that stole them and they halted the opening of the lab until the hubs were returned/recovered, and i didn't think it was fair that this kid screwed the whole school over, so i slipped a note in the principal's office and he was suspended soon after. I felt good knowing the lab re-opened b/c of me :)

-=bmacd=-

dbzwukan

Dec 17, 2001
ha ha sit on his face..... i was just listening to monty pyton's the final ripeoff cd......

at anyrate, you should rat him out....i hate people who get away from stealing more than people who steals...

i don't think anything would happen to him due to lack of proof at this point...but this will probably prevent future stealing.

---

at work...there was this i love you who steals coffee.... he would take a plain cup and fill it with starbucks coffee (instead of using starbucks cup) and then paid for regular coffee... the bastard makes 70k a year and he's stealing coffee.... i turned him in.....

Nitemare

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001
Well that too!. The school should start giving out rewards for reporting vandalism leading to reimbursement from the responsible party. Reward should be something like 25% of repair cost. School will still lose money, but it's better to lose 25% the repair cost than 100%. All those maintenance I listed except for burned light bulbs aren't necessary if people didn't vandalize them.

By the way, the kid responsible for stealing RAM happens to be on free lunch by the way. I know this, because I have seen this kid buying lunch with free lunch tickets on regular basis.

In that case report him for sure..Can't be letting them poor welfare kids have more memory. I bet it bothers you that they can afford a home computer and yet they get free lunches doesn't it..

That being said..reporting him is the right thing to do, serves the dumbass right for bragging about it...

Fritzo

Lifer
Jan 3, 2001
A nice, specific note (sans your name) should do the trick. He's actually stealing from the students, not the school.