Question Should I grab a cheap Vega before high end navi in 2020?

Rhoxed

Golden Member
Jun 23, 2007
I have a 2600x, Asus crosshair vii hero, 16gb trident z 3600, rx590 etc. I will be upgrading to the new ryzen as soon as its released. But I plan to keep the system I have now for the most part. Would I be better off buying a x5xx mobo or keep the high end one I have and buy a cheaper one for the 2600x. I also need to know if it's worth buying a cheaper vega over the 590x until the 2020 navi high end releases. I will be building a PC with the 3k ryzen series when released either way. My wife will take the current PC, so I'm twisted on which overall route to take.

Sorry for the format, posting from my phone tonight, been a long while since I have been on here guys. Any other info needed please ask!

SpaceBeer

Apr 2, 2016
I would do that. Vega 56 and RX 570 have great prices now. So I plan to buy RX 570. Need it mainly for CAD, I'm not sure if I'll go for 4 GB or 8 GB version, but at €115+/€135+ (in DE), those are great offers for (non-professional) Inventor users. Plus I hope to find some spare time to play Deus Ex:MD :)

May 13, 2009
I would build a whole new system around the 3 series. New mobo, ram, etc. I personally wouldn't buy a video card below 590 performance. I game at ultrawide 3440x1440 or 144hz 2560x1440 (I have two monitors). For me even a 590 really isn't enough so no way I would go below that. I would imagine even at 1080p on ultra settings the 590 would struggle in some games.

Rhoxed

Golden Member
Jun 23, 2007
I would build a whole new system around the 3 series. New mobo, ram, etc. I personally wouldn't buy a video card below 590 performance. I game at ultrawide 3440x1440 or 144hz 2560x1440 (I have two monitors). For me even a 590 really isn't enough so no way I would go below that. I would imagine even at 1080p on ultra settings the 590 would struggle in some games.

Yes I have a 590 currently, and building a whole new system is probably the route I will go. Leaning towards a vega stopgap until high end navi releases in 2020 for the new machine, or will a midrange navi be releasing soon which will make Vega a bad buy? I am gaming on my 75" qled, so either 1080p at 120hz or 4k at 60.

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
I don't think Navi is aimed at being a Vega "successor" from what I've read into... so right now Vega 56 (or Vega 64 if you don't mind the juice it needs) is a good upgrade.

I bought mine at $600 when the market was a joke and I still think it was a good buy. That poor card had no idea how many gaming miles I would put on it.

ozzy702

Golden Member
Nov 1, 2011
Meh, Vega isn't a compelling buy (at the prices I just looked at on newegg) and I could easily see NAVI offering superior overall performance for the same price.

Does your wife need a gaming GPU?

Rhoxed

Golden Member
Jun 23, 2007
Meh, Vega isn't a compelling buy (at the prices I just looked at on newegg) and I could easily see NAVI offering superior overall performance for the same price.

Does your wife need a gaming GPU?

Yes, I recently sold her aging rig planning a ryzen 3 series build. She will be receiving the RX590 which is a good match for her and the 2600x, so we would prefer not to go lower on the graphics side. (The PC I sold is the 8350 in sig.)

ozzy702

Golden Member
Nov 1, 2011
Yes, I recently sold her aging rig planning a ryzen 3 series build. She will be receiving the RX590 which is a good match for her and the 2600x, so we would prefer not to go lower on the graphics side. (The PC I sold is the 8350 in sig.)

Are you just itching for an upgrade or is this system used for work/productivity? Could you hold off until down the road to build the new system?

I'm pretty bad about building new systems all the time, so I get building stuff because you want the latest and greatest. Personally, Vega isn't a huge leap from your current 590 and the resale value these days on AMD GPUs is garbage.

If just used as a stop gap I'd be more inclined to pickup an NVIDIA GPU like the 1660ti or 2060 and use it for a year and then sell.

The other option is pickup a cheap $80 used 570 for the wife's build and use your current 590.

Rhoxed

Golden Member
Jun 23, 2007
Not really itching for an upgrade we just have always had our own separate PCs, we both game together so having only one pc currently is driving us crazy. I can always sell the 590 down the line and move whatever card I decide down to her PC when the time comes. (Plenty of friends need upgrades) I like AMD due to personal preference and familiarity, helps the TV has free sync (though I have seen nvidia is starting to support it?). So it seems best to wait until first round of Navi releases and gauge the market then. Just figured if I end up picking a Vega or similar out to wait until next year when would be the best time. Thanks for the replies so far everyone!

Guru

May 5, 2017
Why don't you wait 2 more months when Navi releases or at least we have clear and confirmed information about its performance, before you make your decision.

Getting a Vega 56 might end up being a bad move, even if you do plan on upgrading next year.

Reactions: killster1

ozzy702

Golden Member
Nov 1, 2011
Not really itching for an upgrade we just have always had our own separate PCs, we both game together so having only one pc currently is driving us crazy. I can always sell the 590 down the line and move whatever card I decide down to her PC when the time comes. (Plenty of friends need upgrades) I like AMD due to personal preference and familiarity, helps the TV has free sync (though I have seen nvidia is starting to support it?). So it seems best to wait until first round of Navi releases and gauge the market then. Just figured if I end up picking a Vega or similar out to wait until next year when would be the best time. Thanks for the replies so far everyone!

If your wife games (no kids huh? I remember the days of playing MW2 with my wife. :D) then for sure, just pick something up. Depending upon the games you play, a cheap used 570 would work for her, or you could go ahead with your plan. Personally, I'd be really surprised if NAVI is worse price/performance than current prices on Vega, and small NAVI should be out fairly soon so I'd be temped to wait. At the end of the day, you're the only one that can decide if waiting is worth it or not. Ask your wife, if she wants something now, it's a small price to make her happy.

alcoholbob

Diamond Member
May 24, 2005
Rumor right now is "high end" Navi isn't clocking very well and is only about 10% faster than the Radeon VII.

Rhoxed

Golden Member
Jun 23, 2007
If your wife games (no kids huh? I remember the days of playing MW2 with my wife. :D) then for sure, just pick something up. Depending upon the games you play, a cheap used 570 would work for her, or you could go ahead with your plan. Personally, I'd be really surprised if NAVI is worse price/performance than current prices on Vega, and small NAVI should be out fairly soon so I'd be temped to wait. At the end of the day, you're the only one that can decide if waiting is worth it or not. Ask your wife, if she wants something now, it's a small price to make her happy.

Actually 2 kids (6 1/2and 2) we are 32 and have been together for 15 years. Gaming took a back seat the last 6 years or so but we are finding time to play again. It seems I'll hold out on any card until the ryzen 3 series launches, but I would hate to see first iteration of navi under perform compared to older vega and prices rise due to lack or cards and or demand.

Rhoxed

Golden Member
Jun 23, 2007
I would wait for now, but if you do decide on a vega at some point, I would look for a deal on the Sapphire Nitro+ vega 64. Goes on sale from time to time at good value.

Actually, its on sale now for $399. This is the one to get. https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202321&Description=vega 64&cm_re=vega_64-_-14-202-321-_-Product

You know what I ended up just doing this for now. This way I will have the 590 for backup as soon as ryzen 3xxx series comes out and I can gauge the market then. Have a buddy waiting on the 590 (currenty a 4770k and a GTX680) so that wont be a problem. Thanks for all the help guys!

Reactions: RaV666

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
Rumor right now is "high end" Navi isn't clocking very well and is only about 10% faster than the Radeon VII.

If any Navi product in 2019 manages to surpass Radeon VII, it'll be a hell of a card. As it stands, I would not expect Navi to reach those performance levels until 2020.

RaV666

Jan 26, 2004
You know what I ended up just doing this for now. This way I will have the 590 for backup as soon as ryzen 3xxx series comes out and I can gauge the market then. Have a buddy waiting on the 590 (currenty a 4770k and a GTX680) so that wont be a problem. Thanks for all the help guys!
Yeah, vega 64 nitro+ is pretty much the best model, its comparable to 2070.Just remember to UV gpu and OC your hbm2!

Rhoxed

Golden Member
Jun 23, 2007
Yeah, vega 64 nitro+ is pretty much the best model, its comparable to 2070.Just remember to UV gpu and OC your hbm2!

Absolutely, I was reading hard into both the 56 and 64, it seems more on the lines of "push the 56 like crazy" to "play with 64 and find a happy medium" hell sometimes I have more fun fiddling with settings than actually gaming. (As I'm sure most if us can relate)

I'll update thread when the card arrives and give performance increases and findings if anyone is interested. Otherwise thanks for the help everyone!

Reactions: n0x1ous

Arkaign

Lifer
Oct 27, 2006
That model of 64 is really nice. I also like the $299 56s for value buy when they are available, but the step up in cooling and less work in UV/OC is nice, and it can go further than most 56s for sure. Strong tinkering can get most 56s beyond stock 64. But a really good AIO 64 is beyond that.

V56 at bargain is what made me scratch my head at 590 launching near $300. It's just a different class of cards. From 1060OC levels all the way well into 1070ti-1080OC, a big leap.

Flayed

Nov 30, 2016
I was thinking the same thing as OP wait for Navi/Zen 2 and build a new system. However best laid plans and all I was playing Grim Dawn today thinking I really need a faster card and won an auction for an Asus ROG Strix Gaming Vega 56. A hair over £200 with a 15% coupon. Hopefully a big jump from my 1050 ti :D

Reactions: Arkaign

Arkaign

Lifer
Oct 27, 2006
I was thinking the same thing as OP wait for Navi/Zen 2 and build a new system. However best laid plans and all I was playing Grim Dawn today thinking I really need a faster card and won an auction for an Asus ROG Strix Gaming Vega 56. A hair over £200 with a 15% coupon. Hopefully a big jump from my 1050 ti :D

That is a great model of the 56 imho. Look up the deets on undervolting with a mild OC. Really brings the 56 to a sweet spot.

Hans Gruber

Platinum Member
Dec 23, 2006
This is off Forbes website. Not sure if it's posted anywhere here on the forum.

Here's a summary of the leaked Navi details:
  • Navi "XT" will supposedly surpass the performance of Nvidia's RTX 2070 and retail at $499.
  • Navi "Pro" will boast performance that sits somewhere between the RTX 2060 and RTX 2070 for a retail price of $399.
  • Neither Navi GPU will feature hardware-accelerated ray tracing.
  • Radeon VII is intended to remain AMD's flagship GPU, meaning the product with the highest performance. Sapphire notes that AMD will not "scale up" Navi for the enthusiast GPU space.
  • Sapphire is planning custom water-cooled variants for Navi.
  • The alleged release date for Navi is July 7, 2019.
  • Sapphire confirmed that an official reveal for consumer Navi will take place during AMD's Computex keynote on Monday, May 27.

I think the strike price for Vega 64 is between $250-300 and $200 for Vega 56. Newegg had a gigabyte Vega 56 the other day for $250. Otherwise, I would wait for what the Navi cards look like.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
$399 is too much for a product that sits between 2060 and 2070. Not saying it's wrong, I'm just saying it's wrong for us. Stupid AMD.

That Gigabyte Vega Newegg had on sale the other day is, as I have learned, a lemon of a card.

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
Meh, it better be really close to knocking on the 2070's door, otherwise why bother?
If it is similar in performance to the current Vega 64, but as it will likely use less power and be cheaper to produce, this makes would make sense, both for consumers and AMD. Consumers get another good alternative, with likely better OC capability than vega, or lower power where it matters. AMD's cost is likely lower, meaning more profit.

Also, if compared to the 2070, keep in mind the 2070 goes for around $500 typically, so you are already saving $100, even if the performance may not be the same.