Should I get the Barton 3000+ with 400 fsb?

wisfal

Oct 7, 2003
I am looking into building a new computer and want it to be a well built one at that. I would like to know if I should get the Barton with the 400 fsb or spring for a Barton with the 333 fsb with a higher clock speed? I would possibly be willing to OC depending on how greedy I get with the clock speed :).

VIAN

Diamond Member
Aug 22, 2003
if your gonna waste that much money on a CPU, then go Intel.

myocardia

Diamond Member
Jun 21, 2003
Originally posted by: wisfal
I am looking into building a new computer and want it to be a well built one at that. I would like to know if I should get the Barton with the 400 fsb or spring for a Barton with the 333 fsb with a higher clock speed? I would possibly be willing to OC depending on how greedy I get with the clock speed :).

I say, if you plan on OCing, you're much better off with the 333fsb, because you have much more "headroom" to work with, and the higher clock speed is better in most games, but not all. Of course, that's all going to depend on what apps you plan on using it with. If you aren't going to OC, it's a no-brainer-- higher fsb always equals higher performance. The 333, running at around 400 fsb though, is going to kill the non-OCed 400 fsb. That's why almost all of us OC... Just don't tell Vian that you might OC!!*

*Depending on his mood when he reads it, he can be a bit touchy on the whole OCing thing. He thinks you're stealing (performance) from the chip manufacturer, which you actually are, now that I think of it!

myocardia

Diamond Member
Jun 21, 2003
Originally posted by: ToxicWaste
I don't really overclock, so I got the 3000+ because I wanted the 400MHz FSB...

11.5X200 is an overclock, for an XP 3000, man... You are running that chip at around what AMD would call an "XP3400". Well, actually slightly faster than what they would call an XP3300.