Should I get cat declawed?

SaltyNuts

Platinum Member
May 1, 2001
The kid has taken a really, really keen interest in our cat lately. He is almost 2. He routinely pushes his face straight into the cat's fur. My girl is worried she is going to swipe him and put out an eye. She wants me to have the cat declawed. Should I? I've read that its really cruel to the animals as they walk on their claws essentially. They said they typically only declaw the front claws as well, they leave the back ones so that the cats can protect themselves if they ever get out and are attacked by animals. Is it true that taking out the front claws would basically end any risk to the kid because 99.99% of the time if the cat swipes at the kid it would do so with front claws?

Thanks for any help.

• Wow
Reactions: zinfamous

SaltyNuts

Platinum Member
May 1, 2001
Thanks everyone. I fully appreciate the "teach your kid" attitude, but being less than 2 years old it is very hard to teach, and he basically does not listen. If there is even a 1 in 1000 chance the cat takes out his eye IMO it is not worth taking that risk. I red that declawing was very bad for the animal years ago, but when I asked the vet about that she basically said that its not as bad as all that and the views have changed recently. Thoughts?

Thanks!

Viper GTS

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
Don't do it. The primary way little kids learn about how animals want to be treated is not from you but from the animals.

One of my earliest memories is getting hooked by my mother's geriatric cat when I was trying to retrieve it from under a side table.

Your kid isn't going to lose an eye, it will be a scratch on a limb. The lesson will be learned far better than you could ever deliver it, and they will likely get along great afterwards.

Also, how many one eyed people do you see running around? The idea that a cat is going to take your kids eye out is laughably paranoid, you may want to seek help.

Viper GTS

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
It's maiming the cat. Don't. The cat won't take the kid's eyes out, they know what eyes are. If it hasn't gotten to the point of actively avoiding the child, it doesn't care that much about what the kid's doing. Even if the kid keeps it up for the next few years, the cat will 'engage' more, and the child will learn not to fuck around with the cat so much.

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
Thanks everyone. I fully appreciate the "teach your kid" attitude, but being less than 2 years old it is very hard to teach, and he basically does not listen. If there is even a 1 in 1000 chance the cat takes out his eye IMO it is not worth taking that risk. I red that declawing was very bad for the animal years ago, but when I asked the vet about that she basically said that its not as bad as all that and the views have changed recently. Thoughts?

Thanks!
kids will hurt themselves no matter how much you want to protect them.

A cat won't go out of it's way to hurt your kids. The odds of your cat doing anything more than scratching your kids hands or arms is almost non-existent.

We had a cat when I was 11 and my sister was 6 years old and it never did anything but a scratch on the hands if it was playing. Kids learn quickly.

I forgot to add is that most vets won't do it and numerous places have made it illegal.

Just don't even bother contemplating it and accept the cat as it is.

Last edited:

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
My cat has been declawed in the front (I didn't do it, I adopted it after it was done), and the poor thing doesn't really have a way of defending itself from my 7 year old daughter when she's rough with the cat. So, yeah, I wouldn't recommend it.

Honestly, I kinda wish that the cat would bite her in the arm when she starts being mean to it. It would teach her a valuable lesson in animal handling.

Last edited:

Paperdoc

Platinum Member
Aug 17, 2006
Lots of negatives above, so here's someone who has had several cats de-clawed over the years and we're happy about that. I'll give a few pointers.

1. Yes, de-clawing is surgery that leaves the cat with sore toes for a short time (1-2 weeks??). They did not show obvious signs of pain for more than a couple of days. After that our cats have never shown any discomfort or concern about their feet.
2.When it is done, you need to pay close attention to their littler box for at least a week. We replaced the common clay-based litter with the stuff made from recyceld old paper and changed it completely - every day or two at first - to reduce the chance of infection.
3. The last couple of times it was a situation of 2 or 3 new kittens at once. We waited until they were the right age / maturity for neutering / spaying, then had both that surgery and the FRONT-only de-clawing surgery performed at the same time on all of the group. So they recovered together. Slight price reduction on dual surgery for three kittens at once. Oh, and here the vets also will install an ID chip (under the skin on back beytween front shoulders) at the same time and provide a certificate of this. The city here will waive yearly cat permit fees for chipped and neutered cats, and issue a good-for-life free pet permit. We have NOT had it done on a fully-grown cat, so no experience there.
4. Our plan for these cats always was, from the start, that they are indoor-only cats. They never go outside. So we don't worry about their ability to defend themselves against others or predators.
5. Our daughter had one bad experience with this on one cat. Apparently the vet made a small error in the work and left a small bone chip in place which did cause the cat significant discomfort and possibly infection. Took a little while to understand the problem, and a second small surgery for no charge to fix it. No extra cost, but a bad experience for the cat (and owners).
6. There are two common forms of such surgery. One is to remove from the tiny end bone of each toe the claw and nail bed from which it grows. This CAN fail sometimes of not all of the nail bed is removed. The other is to remove the entire tiny last bone in each toe. We are told the cat really does not use that bone for normal walking, etc, and this type of surgery does no harm and is more reliable than the other. We chose the latter.
7. As far cat behaviour, they really don't know about all this, of course. Their natural instincts are to scratch stuff, and to use the calws for gaining a solid grasp of things as the move, jump, land, and grab things. They learn very qickly that their ability to grab a solid hold on things with the front paws does not work as well as they might hope, so they adjust their actions in a short time and never know the difference after.
8. After this removal, the BACK FEET are still dangerous! So don't ignore that possibility when handling them or having them leap from your lap.

Our cats are happy and spoiled kitties. We are very pleased that the furniture is not being damaged, and neither are we (by accident) being scratched very often. By the way, I think your fear of damnage to your child's eyes is exaggerated, although anything is possible. It is more likely that injury will be to other body parts less disastrous, but still painful. That is part of teaching your child how to handle a pet gently and responsibly. Such habits also can train the cat that people (even small children) can be trusted to be kind and gentle.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
the sad truth is a lot of families just aren't suited to have a cat, but they get one anyway and then deal with all kinds of stuff they don't wanna deal with.
If you feel its necessary to remove a cats finger tips then you are probably in the category of Not Suited To Have A Cat.

OccamsToothbrush

Golden Member
Aug 21, 2005
When the cats come to power they're going to castrate anyone that had a cat declawed. You feeling lucky?

This is pretty simple. If you want a cat, you deal with the claws. If you want a pet that appreciates you and won't claw your eyes out because it's an evil hellbeast, get something other than a cat.

Reactions: pcgeek11

KeithP

Diamond Member
Jun 15, 2000
I fully appreciate the "teach your kid" attitude, but being less than 2 years old it is very hard to teach

If you are waiting for your child to become easy to teach before you start trying to teach them you are in for a nasty surprise. In any event, don't declaw the cat. Find another home for it before you do that.

-KeithP

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
the sad truth is a lot of families just aren't suited to have a cat, but they get one anyway and then deal with all kinds of stuff they don't wanna deal with.
If you feel its necessary to remove a cats finger tips then you are probably in the category of Not Suited To Have A Cat.

Well said.

SaltyNuts

Platinum Member
May 1, 2001
Well shoot having the cat declawed Tuesday, overnight procedure. I told her everything you guys said but she works with doctors and they saw the video of the kid literally pressing his face into the cats fur and all commented that the cat could paw out his eyes. The sage advice of ATOTers could not overcome doctors telling her she should get it done. :(

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
Nope, sorry, still fucked up. You're maiming a member of your fam out of an abundance of caution. My young sons somehow survived four cats despite being very hands on, this can't be the sight risk you're making it out to be. Do you own a serval or something? I've never heard of a vet recommending it. I think someone wants your money and sees your apprehension as a way to it.