Should I get an Iphone?

thehotsung8701A

May 18, 2015
I have had the following phone, Samsung S4, Samsung Note 3, and Sony Xperia Z Ultra. The two Samsung phone were fine while the Sony phone was in repair 3 total time. I thought I would be using the S-pen a lot but I hardly ever touch it.

I'm done with Sony phone for good and I don't like Samsung phone. One of the most important feature for me was how loud the speaker on the phone "should" be and both Samsung phone are completely disappointing in that aspect.

One aspect that would be a great use for me on Iphone is Apple pay and the fingerprint scanner is one of the best. As for 3D touch, I thought that was there on the Note 3?

Thanks

nerp

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2005
The quality is pretty good on the speaker compared to many other phones. It can get pretty loud, too. I find that it has much more room in the low volume area, too. My Android and Windows phones suffered from being too loud at the lowest volume, which disturbs my wife when I'm listening to a podcast in bed with the phone near my ear or under the pillow. (no I don't charge the phone when I do this)

thehotsung8701A

May 18, 2015
The quality is pretty good on the speaker compared to many other phones. It can get pretty loud, too. I find that it has much more room in the low volume area, too. My Android and Windows phones suffered from being too loud at the lowest volume, which disturbs my wife when I'm listening to a podcast in bed with the phone near my ear or under the pillow. (no I don't charge the phone when I do this)

Which Iphones are we talking about? I'm only looking at the 6, 6s, and 6s plus.

Remobz

Platinum Member
Jun 9, 2005
I have had the following phone, Samsung S4, Samsung Note 3, and Sony Xperia Z Ultra. The two Samsung phone were fine while the Sony phone was in repair 3 total time. I thought I would be using the S-pen a lot but I hardly ever touch it.

I'm done with Sony phone for good and I don't like Samsung phone. One of the most important feature for me was how loud the speaker on the phone "should" be and both Samsung phone are completely disappointing in that aspect.

One aspect that would be a great use for me on Iphone is Apple pay and the fingerprint scanner is one of the best. As for 3D touch, I thought that was there on the Note 3?

Thanks

Of course NOT!

Boycott APPLE!

thehotsung8701A

May 18, 2015
I have the 6s.

I heard the battery life on both the 6 and 6s is awful compare to the 6s plus, is that true?

Battery life is something really important for me. I honestly don't even know if there any smartphone that actually has good battery life.

nerp

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2005
Battery life is OK for me, I am not away from a charger for any major length of time. I get through a whole day with the 6s. The battery life isn't amazing. I know the 6s plus has very good battery life but I find that phone too big.

I solved any problem of battery life by getting this: http://www.amazon.com/Anker-PowerCo...d=1457295542&sr=8-2&keywords=anker+power+core

I stick that in my bag and I always know I have a 1.5 full charges with me if I need it.

Artdeco

Platinum Member
Mar 14, 2015
If you don't mind using a backup battery or are never far away from an outlet, the 6 or 6s, if battery life and a big screen are important to you, a 6+ or 6+s

I've owned a ton of Android phones and keep coming back to the iPhone.

Midwayman

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2000
I think the biggest thing that shocked me when I moved from android to ios is how terrible sharing data between apps is on iOS. Friggen stone age shit. Android you can share any data with any app. iOS sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes you have to go some stupid shit like save to your camera roll before another program can see it. God forbid you want to use more than one app to play media. Each has its own little protected area that others can't see. No loading up all your MP3s and trying 6-7 music apps until you find one you like or using a different one for in your car or something.

I'm mostly happy with it, but man there are some WTF moments at times.

Mushkins

Golden Member
Feb 11, 2013
I think the biggest thing that shocked me when I moved from android to ios is how terrible sharing data between apps is on iOS. Friggen stone age shit. Android you can share any data with any app. iOS sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes you have to go some stupid shit like save to your camera roll before another program can see it. God forbid you want to use more than one app to play media. Each has its own little protected area that others can't see. No loading up all your MP3s and trying 6-7 music apps until you find one you like or using a different one for in your car or something.

I'm mostly happy with it, but man there are some WTF moments at times.

Apple took a Security First approach. All that data sharing on Android is specifically why it's so easy to develop malware for it. The openness of the play store vs the walled garden of the apple app store also weeds out any of the crafty stuff that *is* developed for i-devices.

You say that's stupid, I say that's what drove me to make our business an all-iphone shop. As always, buy the device that most aligns with what you want to use it for.

Mushkins

Golden Member
Feb 11, 2013
I heard the battery life on both the 6 and 6s is awful compare to the 6s plus, is that true?

Battery life is something really important for me. I honestly don't even know if there any smartphone that actually has good battery life.

Honestly, battery life on a smartphone is such a wonky metric that's devolved into the realm of marketing BS.

All modern smartphones will hold a charge for 99% of use cases for a whole day.

If you're in that other 1% of use cases, or it's *mission critical* that your phone always be charged, buy a portable USB charger or a case with an external battery in it and write it off as part of the cost of ownership. This goes for *every* phone on the market, there's only so much a teeny tiny battery can do from an engineering perspective. Until battery technology fundamentally changes in a *huge* breakthrough way, we're never going to have a smartphone that can go a full week without charging. For every power-saving hardware advancement they make, they simultaneously increase what the phone can do (thus increasing battery drain).

Midwayman

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2000
Apple took a Security First approach. All that data sharing on Android is specifically why it's so easy to develop malware for it. The openness of the play store vs the walled garden of the apple app store also weeds out any of the crafty stuff that *is* developed for i-devices.

You say that's stupid, I say that's what drove me to make our business an all-iphone shop. As always, buy the device that most aligns with what you want to use it for.

Please tell me how allowing multiple programs to access my mp3 (after the typical "X program wants to access MP3s" that you get for photos) is a huge security hole. Its all about driving everything through their blessed path in the itunes store, not about security.

Granted android has been a little loose with permissions until recently, but they're going to the same model that apple has for the stuff it will share. Ask when you're actually going to do it the first time instead of a wall of permissions.

I actually like the Apple model of permissions. File sharing got better on iOS9, but its still far behind android. I can understand wanting to lock stuff down for business phones. Hell, being able to manage and turn off various types of sharing is good. Not being able to do the sharing in the first place is not.

Subyman

Moderator <br> VC&G Forum
Mar 18, 2005
Please tell me how allowing multiple programs to access my mp3 (after the typical "X program wants to access MP3s" that you get for photos) is a huge security hole. Its all about driving everything through their blessed path in the itunes store, not about security.

Granted android has been a little loose with permissions until recently, but they're going to the same model that apple has for the stuff it will share. Ask when you're actually going to do it the first time instead of a wall of permissions.

I actually like the Apple model of permissions. File sharing got better on iOS9, but its still far behind android. I can understand wanting to lock stuff down for business phones. Hell, being able to manage and turn off various types of sharing is good. Not being able to do the sharing in the first place is not.

Each app has its own data storage that can not be accessed by other apps without permission and direct developer support. There are tools for developers to share data between their apps, but they must specifically design for it.

nerp

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2005
Skip the 6 and stick with 6s or 6s Plus.

Even with highly-optimized iOS, 1GB RAM in 64-bit iOS devices (including the 6) just doesn't cut it.

I would agree. I have the 6s. My wife has the 6. The difference in performance between the two is rather noticeable. Simple things like taking pictures, jumping between apps. I can go from wanting to take a picture to firing shots in almost half the time as my wife and that can matter sometimes.

The other big mistake people might make is buying an iPhone with only 16GB of storage. Don't buy less than 64GB.

Mar 10, 2006

Thanks

yes, get an iPhone. iPhone 6s is the way to go. 6s Plus has a worse display & is ridiculously bulky.

TheStu

Moderator<br>Mobile Devices & Gadgets
Sep 15, 2004
Absolutely.

iPhone SE if you prefer the smaller size. If you need super long battery life, buy the extra battery case for the 6s.

There's a 3rd party battery case that my buddy just picked up, the Solomemo I think... Anyway it has no 'chin', and charges over lightning. It's not as slickly integrated as the Apple one, but it's half the cost.

Beer4Me

Mar 16, 2011
No, judging by how many phones you have and like to upgrade so often. Stick with Android/Google. Samsung pay and fingerprint scanner is fine for your use cases.