Should I get a dedicated sound card?

nthydro

Dec 26, 2013
I have a pair of Turtle Beach XP510 headphones and I'm planning to get some 2.1 speakers for around $100 (Logitech, ect). Would it be worth it to get a dedicated sound card or will motherboard on board audio be enough? Not sure which motherboard I'm going to get but it's gonna be one of the newer Z97 micro-atx motherboards. Primary use is gaming, music, movies. Thanks.

AllWhacked

Nov 1, 2006
I forgot what the technical details were, but there is a video on youtube by TekSyndicate that explains that the onboard sound provided by your motherboard is usually just as good as those on a dedicated soundcard. This is especially the case if you're using the optical port.

Video Link - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1rXcJuEsy0

I don't know if the info in the video is wrong, but makes sense. Regardless, I've gotten to the point where the onboard audio sound good enough. I figure if you do not like the audio the onboard provides, you can always buy the sound card later.

nthydro

Dec 26, 2013
I forgot what the technical details were, but there is a video on youtube by TekSyndicate that explains that the onboard sound provided by your motherboard is usually just as good as those on a dedicated soundcard. This is especially the case if you're using the optical port.

Video Link - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1rXcJuEsy0

I don't know if the info in the video is wrong, but makes sense. Regardless, I've gotten to the point where the onboard audio sound good enough. I figure if you do not like the audio the onboard provides, you can always buy the sound card later.

Very interesting video, thanks! Seems like they really know what their saying.

This is my first build in like 8 years so I assume on board audio has changed significantly since then. Do you think the onboard audio varies drastically from motherboard to motherboard? Or am I okay as long as I get a reputable brand (Asus, Gigabyte, MSI, ASrock, ect)?

AllWhacked

Nov 1, 2006

This is my first build in like 8 years so I assume on board audio has changed significantly since then. Do you think the onboard audio varies drastically from motherboard to motherboard? Or am I okay as long as I get a reputable brand (Asus, Gigabyte, MSI, ASrock, ect)?

The onboard audio does vary, though not by much on motherboards of the same quality. So for example, the Z87/Z97 boards are geared towards gamers, so have better onboard audio than on an entry H81 board. Also, some motherboards will offer features like DTS and others do not. I think only ASRock and Asus offer DTS (and not every model either). This was a factor for me when building a HTPC. However, if you're running audio through the HDMI cable via the videocard, then just make sure your TV supports 5.1 passthrough or you use a 5.1 receiver, otherwise you'll only get 2.0 stereo.

dpodblood

Diamond Member
May 20, 2010
Chances are unless you start using higher end speakers or headphones you're not going to notice a difference.

Cerb

Elite Member
Aug 26, 2000
In many area they really don't. Just Google the video, and you can find much trash-talking of it, with small bits of what and why.

But, nonetheless, sound card or not is an orthogonal decision to your parts choices, even audio ones, until you get into very sensitive stuff. If you hear junk in you headphones or speakers that you know isn't part of the signal, get yourself a DAC outside of the PC. If not, stick with the onboard.