Should I get a 2500+ Barton or P4 2.4c

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Johnbear007

Diamond Member
Jul 1, 2002
Originally posted by: JeremiahTheGreat
I vote to ban all 'AMD vs Intel' threads... because there's absolutley no point to them. Which ever you choose, they'll be good!

Thats pretty silly. Then we might as well ban all this Vs that threads. Everything has it's pluses and minuses

These threads are ussually useful..

however this one has had alot of

Barton --- they are better
2.4c --- it is better

There was a rant by orion7144 that was less than helpful.

Im just going to go try to find some benchmarks since it seems like most people around here just want to rant about thier prefered product.

mechBgon

Super Moderator<br>Elite Member
Oct 31, 1999
Go up to my previous post, I gave a link to some benchies for you :D

Johnbear007

Diamond Member
Jul 1, 2002
Originally posted by: mechBgon
Go up to my previous post, I gave a link to some benchies for you :D

It looks like in most things the performance is fairly negligible. Do I really care about a difference betwen 192 fps or 188 fps in unreal? not really. Thats not a noticeable difference in performance, by anyone.

The 2500+ barton will do me just fine. And actually I may save some more cash and simply get another 1700+ and overclock it.

I think the video card is a better upgrade path for me at this point.

sman789

Banned
May 6, 2003
Originally posted by: INemtsev
Barton...clock for clock it would woop P4c 2.4
lets see it reach 3.6 ghz without meltdown:D
now stock for stock and amd OC @ 3200+ and intel OC @ 3.0ghz who wins????

MatthewF01

Mar 1, 2002
Originally posted by: Johnbear007
A couple of questions

1. How far does a barton generally OC with Stock cooling?
2. how far does a 1700+ generally OC with stock cooling?
3. How can I check the revision of 1700+ that I already own?
4. How does an OC 1700+ compare to an OC barton?

Most Bartons are doing 2.3 on air... mine is running 2.30ghz on stock cooling (mind you its running a little hot with the voltage ive got pumped through it, and its not 100% stable :frown: but hes definitely haulin' ass!

1700+ are doing 2.3-2.4ghz on air, and im sure lately people are getting even more insane results out of them...

Just check out the stepping and week it was fabbed as far as your 1700+ goes...

And if you have one Tbred and one Barton each running at 2.3Ghz... eventually somewhere the Barton will take the lead due to the doubled L2 cache.

Johnbear007

Diamond Member
Jul 1, 2002
Originally posted by: MatthewF01
A couple of questions

1. How far does a barton generally OC with Stock cooling?
2. how far does a 1700+ generally OC with stock cooling?
3. How can I check the revision of 1700+ that I already own?
4. How does an OC 1700+ compare to an OC barton?

Most Bartons are doing 2.3 on air... mine is running 2.30ghz on stock cooling (mind you its running a little hot with the voltage ive got pumped through it, and its not 100% stable :frown: but hes definitely haulin' ass!

1700+ are doing 2.3-2.4ghz on air, and im sure lately people are getting even more insane results out of them...

Just check out the stepping and week it was fabbed as far as your 1700+ goes.

And if you have one Tbred and one Barton each running at 2.3Ghz... eventually somewhere the Barton will take the lead due to the doubled L2 cache.

Alright thanks. My 1700+ doesnt OC worth a crap... oh well it was one of the early ones and ive had it for awhile. I was really hoping to get something out of it but thats alright.

I think ill start looking into bartons.

MatthewF01

Mar 1, 2002
Johnbear, is the 1700+ a Palomino or a Thoroughbred? And if Tbred, A or B?

Surely you can get SOMETHING out of it, if you give it a healthy serving of VOLTAGE...

but Barton is definitely good times :)
much luck to ya buddy!

Johnbear007

Diamond Member
Jul 1, 2002
Originally posted by: MatthewF01
Johnbear, is the 1700+ a Palomino or a Thoroughbred? And if Tbred, A or B?

Surely you can get SOMETHING out of it, if you give it a healthy serving of VOLTAGE...

but Barton is definitely good times :)
much luck to ya buddy!

It must be a palamino... I think... which came first? :p I got it when it was pretty new.

I tried to OC it a litle with cpufsb but it probably needs a higher voltage. im on an ecsk7s5a so I need to flash to the OC bios. I still dont know if that offers voltage mods though

funko

Jul 27, 2001
if you ahve the money, just get the p4, if you want to be stingy get teh barton....

you basically cant go wrong either way..

but a p4 o/ced to 3.3 and higher will out perform a barton o/ced to 2.4-2.5

forget the % of price difference people are talking about, its not that big of a difference

the mobo costs are comparable, you can get a decent nf2 400 mobo or a 865 mobo for well under $100

just flip a coin if you're still indecisive

Johnbear007

Diamond Member
Jul 1, 2002
Originally posted by: funko
if you ahve the money, just get the p4, if you want to be stingy get teh barton....

forget the % of price difference people are talking about, its not that big of a difference

the mobo costs are comparable, you can get a decent nf2 400 mobo or a 865 mobo for well under $100

Even if I cant run dual channel ? I only have pc2700 1 512mb chip pc2100 1 512mb chip

orion7144

Diamond Member
Oct 8, 2002

Even if I cant run dual channel ? I only have pc2700 1 512mb chip pc2100 1 512mb chip

You will be able to run Dual channel if you use the 5:4 or 3:2 ratio. The pc2100 (if it is a decent stick) should be able to keep up with the PC2700 stick. Even if you can't get Dual to work it will still be faster. I have two mixed sticks in my son's Ausus baord running Dual channel.

Johnbear007

Diamond Member
Jul 1, 2002
Originally posted by: orion7144

You will be able to run Dual channel if you use the 5:4 or 3:2 ratio. The pc2100 (if it is a decent stick) should be able to keep up with the PC2700 stick. Even if you can't get Dual to work it will still be faster. I have two mixed sticks in my son's Ausus baord running Dual channel.

I could try running them at 200mhz as well correct? They are crucial sticks

Johnbear007

Diamond Member
Jul 1, 2002
Ijust put the 8500 in the P3 and the Radeon 64 MB 7200 in the 1700+

The 1700+ still runs all my games just fine with the 7200 (NWN, battlefield etc.)

However there was almost no performance gain on the P3 with the 8500, suggesting to me that it is the CPU that is the limiting factor in this setup.

dannybin1742

Platinum Member
Jan 16, 2002
You got it the other way around, clock for clock, the Barton is faster. Think about that, a Barton at 2.4GHz would run circles around the 2.4C.

so true, you should see what my rig does 2406mhz barton definately worth the $90 i spent on the cpu
oh yeah and thats air cooled at 1.75V

Johnbear007

Diamond Member
Jul 1, 2002
Originally posted by: dannybin1742
You got it the other way around, clock for clock, the Barton is faster. Think about that, a Barton at 2.4GHz would run circles around the 2.4C.

so true, you should see what my rig does 2406mhz barton definately worth the $90 i spent on the cpu
oh yeah and thats air cooled at 1.75V

what mobo/ram are you using?

SickBeast

Lifer
Jul 21, 2000
Ahhh...the flame wars...

I would comment on this topic, but you're not really comparing apples to apples. The P4 rig that you're suggesting would cost considerably more than the AMD rig. To fairly compare another CPU to the 2500+ ($83), the closest I could find on the intel front is the P4 2.0ghz ($99). In this scenario, the 2500+ would clearly annihilate the P4 in every single benchmark.

I suppose you could compare the 2800+ 333fsb Athlon to the 2.4C. In that case, it would be an interesting comparison.

SpideyCU

Golden Member
Nov 17, 2000
I vote to ban all 'AMD vs Intel' threads... because there's absolutley no point to them. Which ever you choose, they'll be good!

Thats pretty silly. Then we might as well ban all this Vs that threads. Everything has it's pluses and minuses

2.4c --- it is better

Im just going to go try to find some benchmarks since it seems like most people around here just want to rant about thier prefered product.
NO! Really?

Did anyone else fall out of their chair laughing after reading this?

These threads are usually useful? Oh, yeah, no one ever gets into a pissing contest. ;)

Going to find benchmarks? Well golly, what an idea! :D :beer: Are you suggesting that might be more accurate than trying to figure out which fanboy is being more reasonable? I really think we need a sticky at the top of this forum - in fact, what happened to the old "DO NOT POST INTEL VS. AMD THREADS HERE" sticky in General Hardware? People couldn't help themselves?

You'll have to pardon me, I'm in an incredibly sarcastic mood right now and this thread was simply too amusing. I couldn't help myself - I apologize ahead of time.

Johnbear007

Diamond Member
Jul 1, 2002
Originally posted by: SpideyCU

2.4c --- it is better

NO! Really?

Did anyone else fall out of their chair laughing after reading this?

These threads are usually useful? Oh, yeah, no one ever gets into a pissing contest. ;)

Going to find benchmarks? Well golly, what an idea! :D :beer: Are you suggesting that might be more accurate than trying to figure out which fanboy is being more reasonable? I really think we need a sticky at the top of this forum - in fact, what happened to the old "DO NOT POST INTEL VS. AMD THREADS HERE" sticky in General Hardware? People couldn't help themselves?

You'll have to pardon me, I'm in an incredibly sarcastic mood right now and this thread was simply too amusing. I couldn't help myself - I apologize ahead of time.

I tottally agree with you at this point. In fact there is really no point in ever talking about anything in these forums these days if it concerns the products of two different companies. All you get is fanboy bs