Question Should I change my CPU or just build a new computer?

Papy

Jul 3, 2021
Hello,

I am not a pro in computers and mine is pretty old now (9 year old but I changed some parts like RAM and GPU). To run battlefield 2048, I need to change my CPU but I am wondering if I shouldn't just build a new computer instead.

Here are my hardwares:
- CPU: Intel Core i7-2600K 3.40GHz (64 bits)
- GPU: NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1070
- Motherboard: ASUS P8H67
- RAM: 16 GB
- Memory: 500 GB SSD

I am able to run some of the latest games (like CoD Warzone) but Battlefield 2048 require a better CPU than mine.
My question is, should I change only the CPU or all the computer (it starts to be old). And if I should just get a new CPU, which CPU would be compatible with my motherboard?

Let me know for additional question, and thanks for your help!

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
That's a fairly well-balanced and competent system that you have, OP. The only problem is, it's older, and lacks cores and the IPC improvements that have happened with later CPU core designs.

I would consider, if you have the money for it, another top-end CPU, both Ryzen and Rocket Lake are impressive, IPC-wise and performance-wise, although I think that Ryzen has been shown to be more power-efficient.

You may wish to wait for the newer Zen3-based CPUs with the V-cache (additional L3 cache memory stacked on-die, very useful for gaming). They're saying, +15% CPU performance for games. That's pretty huge. Those may be out by the end of the year (?).

Reactions: AnitaPeterson
Feb 4, 2009
To me your machine is still pretty competent, if the main reason to upgrade is the upcoming BF2048 I would sit tight. System specs tend to go down when a game gets close to release.
Regardless now is not the time to be shopping for a video card, motherboard and arguably CPU. Situation will get better again I would wait.
HOWEVER I totally understand the itch to upgrade does need to be scratched at some point. Without knowing your financials your current machine is still worth money even if you swap out the video card for a crappy GTX730. If you decide to do something I vote go with a complete rebuild, changing the CPU never really makes enough of a difference in the cost/value equation unless you somehow score an unrealistically cheap CPU.
I like my Ryzen machine, works great and appears pretty future proof.

Also your current machine would make a great home based game server for you and your friends. Many games support this, me and my friends have good times playing various games on our own private server.

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
I just checked the specs; a 6600K, 1300X, or FX 8350 is the minimum. Your CPU is better than all of those. You will probably have some frame pacing issues, on 64 player maps. But it will do better than any of the 3 listed CPUs.

If you can afford the new CPU, mobo, ram, combo, and you are going to be putting 100s of hours into this game. It would be well worth the investment. And you can recoup some of the cost by selling your current parts.

bigboxes

Lifer
Apr 6, 2002
I just checked the specs; a 6600K, 1300X, or FX 8350 is the minimum. Your CPU is better than all of those. You will probably have some frame pacing issues, on 64 player maps. But it will do better than any of the 3 listed CPUs.

If you can afford the new CPU, mobo, ram, combo, and you are going to be putting 100s of hours into this game. It would be well worth the investment. And you can recoup some of the cost by selling your current parts.

Those are all old CPUs. I suppose they could work in a pinch, but I would recommend an upgrade. We're talking Sandy Bridge. If the OP's primary purpose is gaming I would suggest a i5 1160K or a R7 5800X as a starting point. Run the GTX 1070 until the prices get back to a sane level.

Last edited:

Papy

Jul 3, 2021
Thanks all of you for your amazing answers!

I think that I will wait a bit then, and hopefully build a beast of a computer!

Just to have some more information.

Regardless now is not the time to be shopping for a video card, motherboard and arguably CPU. Situation will get better again I would wait.
How much more expensive are the components right now? Because if I have to pay 1700$ instead of 1500$ for a new computer, it wouldn't bother me too much.

I would suggest a i5 1160K or a R7 3800X
And would they be compatible with my Motherboard ? daveybrat spook about changing the Motherboard too, but it looks like a heavy modification ^^.

Thanks once again for your answers! I wasn't expecting such fast and friendly answers :)

Reactions: DAPUNISHER

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001

How much more expensive are the components right now? Because if I have to pay 1700$ instead of 1500$ for a new computer, it wouldn't bother me too much.

And would they be compatible with my Motherboard ? daveybrat spook about changing the Motherboard too, but it looks like a heavy modification ^^.

Thanks once again for your answers! I wasn't expecting such fast and friendly answers :)
Only vid cards are obscenely overpriced right now. Ryzen 5800x has priced dropped below $400 in the U.S. which is excellent. Boards are fairly priced, ram went up from being very inexpensive, but not like the old days. SSDs are inexpensive now too. As suggested, you can build the new system now, but use your 1070 until the GPU market normalizes again.

I suggest building a 8 core 16 thread system, particularly given you like BF multiplayer. BF5 is one of the most thread heavy titles out there on 64 player maps. And you had the foresight to build a i7 nearly a decade ago, which is how it has held up so well. 8/16 is the new 4/8. It will age better than 6/12 CPUs if for no other reason than consoles use 8/16 AMD CPUs, and OS resource demands over time.

DooKey

Golden Member
Nov 9, 2005
Go with a 10600K. Great bang for the buck CPU. Grab 16gb of 3200 DDR4 and an inexpensive B460 motherboard. All set at a nice low price.

Don't forget to grab a HSF while you are at it.

Feb 4, 2009

Get an estimated budget, games you like or any other thing you PC is used for and post it here. These forums are really good for planning out builds

helpful to know where you will be buying the stuff too.

Reactions: blckgrffn

blckgrffn

Diamond Member
May 1, 2003
www.teamjuchems.com
I moved from a 3950K (Sandy Bridge like yours, but beast mode with 6C/12T and OC'd to 4ghz all core) to a "lowly" AMD 3600 and it helped games *so much*. I will be contrarian and say that you should do this and not consider staying with the 2600 because you'll likely have enough performance issues that it'll dampen your performance (huge drops in FPS in busy times) and likely enjoyment of the game.

SB is old and games feel it's relative lack of single core performance. Any thing Haswell and older has been shown to hold back newer GPUs, especially nvidia.

So I'd say even if you went some what cheap now in the waning days of DDR4 with really fast CPUs on the horizon you'd get a big uplift.

Contrasting a bit with what been said, I'd advocate an inexpensive B450 or B550 motherboard, 16GB of DDR4 3200 or 3600 and any Zen 2 CPU starting at the 3600 and the sky is the limit. You might escape for $400-$500 of investment but the upside is huge. Flip your motherboard, CPU and ram locally for ~$100 plus on CL or FB marketplace and get in the game :)

Arkaign

Lifer
Oct 27, 2006
Need to know budget. Can reuse the PSU, GPU, and SSD, everything else needs to be new, probably including a case just to have a nice fresh start and better front I/O than what was common in SB era.

Fractal Meshify is a good deal for a well built case with excellent airflow as compared to cases that have solid front panels.

https://www.amazon.com/Fractal-Desi...ase&qid=1626552060&sprefix=atx+airflo&sr=8-41

If you still absolutely need 5.25" optical bays for whatever reason, the Corsair Obsidian 750D is phenomenal..

ProfAaron

Nov 19, 2021
Only vid cards are obscenely overpriced right now. Ryzen 5800x has priced dropped below $400 in the U.S. which is excellent. Boards are fairly priced, ram went up from being very inexpensive, but not like the old days. SSDs are inexpensive now too. As suggested, you can build the new system now, but use your 1070 until the GPU market normalizes again.

I suggest building a 8 core 16 thread system, particularly given you like BF multiplayer. BF5 is one of the most thread heavy titles out there on 64 player maps. And you had the foresight to build a i7 nearly a decade ago, which is how it has held up so well. 8/16 is the new 4/8. It will age better than 6/12 CPUs if for no other reason than consoles use 8/16 AMD CPUs, and OS resource demands over time.

OP, if you’re interested in an SSD upgrade then BestBuy is having some awesome sales at the moment. I am heading there tonight.

EDIT: almost forgot to mention that some nice MOBOs are on sale as well as other items. I wish I had more money…. If anyone finds some send it my way, okay? 😜

(No, I don’t hold BB stock, though I did work briefly at a Best Buy in 1996 when I was an undergrad. If posting this is against the rules then plz delete.)