Should I buy this car and rice it out? :D

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

arcenite

Lifer
Dec 9, 2001
10,658
3
81
I too want one now... but then i'd rip the motor out and put a small block chevy in there... if it'd fit
 

Eli

Super Moderator | Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 9, 1999
50,422
8
81
Originally posted by: Roger
My 600 got 30 M.P.G.

Don't think that just because it was extremely tiny and had only a 600cc engine that it got 60 M.P.G.


I sure do miss them now.
Yea... I didn't think it got 60, although I was thinking at least 40...

Is that a highway figure? I'd imagine that city driving would absolutely kill your milage.. since you would spend so much time in each gear, vroooooooooooooooo-o-o-o-m.. lol..
 

dxkj

Lifer
Feb 17, 2001
11,772
2
81
Originally posted by: Eli
Originally posted by: Roger
My 600 got 30 M.P.G.

Don't think that just because it was extremely tiny and had only a 600cc engine that it got 60 M.P.G.


I sure do miss them now.
Yea... I didn't think it got 60, although I was thinking at least 40...

Is that a highway figure? I'd imagine that city driving would absolutely kill your milage.. since you would spend so much time in each gear, vroooooooooooooooo-o-o-o-m.. lol..
In response to your original post.


If I had the money, and the knowledge, I would buy the car for fun and mod it :)
 

Eli

Super Moderator | Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 9, 1999
50,422
8
81
Originally posted by: new2AMD
It isnt riced already?
No... there is nothing rice about it.

It has no show and no go... lol
 

Eli

Super Moderator | Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 9, 1999
50,422
8
81
Originally posted by: edro13
That thing is badass! 2 cycle?
No.

That would be aweful... lol.. I don't think the 2-cycles of the 70s were very long lived. Hell, even modern 2-cycles can't hold a candle to a 4 cycle and its dedicated oil sump as far as longevity goes.


bet she'd run forever on synthetic & a good oil filter.
 

new2AMD

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2001
5,312
0
0
Originally posted by: Eli
Originally posted by: new2AMD
It isnt riced already?
No... there is nothing rice about it.

It has no show and no go... lol
the inside looks riced. i agree you need NoS stickers if you wanna add HP.
 

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
49,404
11,592
136
Originally posted by: ElFenix
is that the honda where the two pistons move up and down together?
The pistons in ALL 2-cylinder 4-cycle engines move up and down together, this included the V-twins in Harleys and Ducatis. There is only 1 fire per revolution, so when (for example) piston #1 is at the top just before the intake stroke, then piston#2 at the top just before the combustion stoke.
The Honda 600 had an inline-2, which is probably the roughest running 4-cycle engine possible short of a 1 cylinder (flat and V-twin balance better).
 

Eli

Super Moderator | Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 9, 1999
50,422
8
81
Originally posted by: new2AMD
Originally posted by: Eli
Originally posted by: new2AMD
It isnt riced already?
No... there is nothing rice about it.

It has no show and no go... lol
the inside looks riced. i agree you need NoS stickers if you wanna add HP.
The inside isn't really riced.. just restored.

The nice stereo system shouldn't be considered rice..an automobile isn't a car without a stereo, and a good one makes it just that much better... lol

 

dxkj

Lifer
Feb 17, 2001
11,772
2
81
Originally posted by: Eli
Originally posted by: new2AMD
Originally posted by: Eli
Originally posted by: new2AMD
It isnt riced already?
No... there is nothing rice about it.

It has no show and no go... lol
the inside looks riced. i agree you need NoS stickers if you wanna add HP.
The inside isn't really riced.. just restored.

The nice stereo system shouldn't be considered rice..an automobile isn't a car without a stereo, and a good one makes it just that much better... lol
I dont know ..... the car stereo being worth as much as the car... and not increasing its hp :)
 

Eli

Super Moderator | Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 9, 1999
50,422
8
81
Originally posted by: Vic
Originally posted by: ElFenix
is that the honda where the two pistons move up and down together?
The pistons in ALL 2-cylinder 4-cycle engines move up and down together, this included the V-twins in Harleys and Ducatis. There is only 1 fire per revolution, so when (for example) piston #1 is at the top just before the intake stroke, then piston#2 at the top just before the combustion stoke.
The Honda 600 had an inline-2, which is probably the roughest running 4-cycle engine possible short of a 1 cylinder (flat and V-twin balance better).
They do??? :confused:

Huh.. What?

Well wait, LOL..... I think you misunderstood what he means by "together"... Either that or I misunderstood...

I think he means like... synchronous. Imagine a 1 cylinder engines crankshaft....

Now add a second throw to the shaft, in the same place as the first one.. instead of opposite.

The pistons would travel up and down together at the same time.. It would be exactly like a 1 cylinder engine, only it would have 2 cylinders.. both cylinders would intake at the same time, have power strokes at the same time..

That just seems silly.

Is that how this thing works? :confused:
 

dxkj

Lifer
Feb 17, 2001
11,772
2
81
Originally posted by: Eli
Originally posted by: Vic
Originally posted by: ElFenix
is that the honda where the two pistons move up and down together?
The pistons in ALL 2-cylinder 4-cycle engines move up and down together, this included the V-twins in Harleys and Ducatis. There is only 1 fire per revolution, so when (for example) piston #1 is at the top just before the intake stroke, then piston#2 at the top just before the combustion stoke.
The Honda 600 had an inline-2, which is probably the roughest running 4-cycle engine possible short of a 1 cylinder (flat and V-twin balance better).
They do??? :confused:

Huh.. What?

Well wait, LOL..... I think you misunderstood what he means by "together"... Either that or I misunderstood...

I think he means like... synchronous. Imagine a 1 cylinder engines crankshaft....

Now add a second throw to the shaft, in the same place as the first one.. instead of opposite.

The pistons would travel up and down together at the same time.. It would be exactly like a 1 cylinder engine, only it would have 2 cylinders.. both cylinders would intake at the same time, have power strokes at the same time..

That just seems silly.

Is that how this thing works? :confused:
Unless the compression formed under the piston instead of above it :p
 

Zenmervolt

Elite member
Oct 22, 2000
24,510
13
81
Originally posted by: Vic
The pistons in ALL 2-cylinder 4-cycle engines move up and down together,
Sorry, no. The first and most obvious is horizontally opposed two cylinder engines.

However, even with an in-line 4-cycle 2-cylinder both pistons do not move up and down together.

Example:

First, we will name, in order the four cycles. Intake, compression, power, exaust. The piston in each cycle is moving down, up, down, and up respectively. Let us further assume that the cylinders are called cylinder 1 and cylinder 2. When cylinder 1 is in the intake cycle, cylinder 2 is in the compression cycle. When cylinder 1 is in the compression cycle, cylinder 2 is in the power cycle. When cylinder 1 is in the power cycle, cylinder 2 is in the exaust cycle. When cylinder 1 is in the exaust cycle, cylinder 2 is in the intake cycle. When cylinder 1 is in the intake cycle, cylinder 2 is in the compression cycle...

ZV
 

thomsbrain

Lifer
Dec 4, 2001
18,148
1
0
Originally posted by: Eli
Originally posted by: Vic
Originally posted by: ElFenix
is that the honda where the two pistons move up and down together?
The pistons in ALL 2-cylinder 4-cycle engines move up and down together, this included the V-twins in Harleys and Ducatis. There is only 1 fire per revolution, so when (for example) piston #1 is at the top just before the intake stroke, then piston#2 at the top just before the combustion stoke.
The Honda 600 had an inline-2, which is probably the roughest running 4-cycle engine possible short of a 1 cylinder (flat and V-twin balance better).
They do??? :confused:

Huh.. What?

Well wait, LOL..... I think you misunderstood what he means by "together"... Either that or I misunderstood...

I think he means like... synchronous. Imagine a 1 cylinder engines crankshaft....

Now add a second throw to the shaft, in the same place as the first one.. instead of opposite.

The pistons would travel up and down together at the same time.. It would be exactly like a 1 cylinder engine, only it would have 2 cylinders.. both cylinders would intake at the same time, have power strokes at the same time..

That just seems silly.

Is that how this thing works? :confused:

no i think he's saying that one cylinder is having the power stroke while the other is having the exhast/intake stroke, but they physically are in the same place at the same time.
 

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
49,404
11,592
136
Originally posted by: thomsbrain
no i think he's saying that one cylinder is having the power stroke while the other is having the exhast/intake stroke, but they physically are in the same place at the same time.
Correct. If #1 is in the power stroke, then #2 would be in the intake stroke. The pistons are 360 degrees opposed to each other, but as 4-stroke engines take 720 degrees to complete all 4-cycles, this makes for a balanced firing order. To the casual observer, it appears that the pistons move up and down together, when in fact they are on opposite ends the 4-stroke process at all times.

Zen, I understand how it works... I think you misunderstood me. Btw, though, all horizontally-opposed engines work like how I described above, which is why people call them "boxers". It's just that when both opposing pistons are at TDC in a boxer, they are farthest apart from each other, and then they come closest to each other at BDC. A flat-4 is 2 flat-2's put together, a flat-6 is 3, etc.

Roger, I would like to see that Norton. What was the firing pattern like? bap, bap... pause... bap, bap... pause... I imagine.
 

Zenmervolt

Elite member
Oct 22, 2000
24,510
13
81
Originally posted by: Vic
Zen, I understand how it works... I think you misunderstood me. Btw, though, all horizontally-opposed engines work like how I described above, which is why people call them "boxers". It's just that when both opposing pistons are at TDC in a boxer, they are farthest apart from each other, and then they come closest to each other at BDC. A flat-4 is 2 flat-2's put together, a flat-6 is 3, etc.
No, you don't understand. In my example when cylinder 1 is at TDC, cylinder 2 is at BDC. This is how almost every 4-cycle in-line two cylinder I have seen is set up.

As for boxer engines, you're blowing smoke. I have a boxer 4 in my car (1976 VW-Porsche 914). Cylinder arrangement is as follows:

FRONT

1 3
2 4

REAR

Cylinders 1 and 4 are both at TDC when cylinders 2 and 3 are at BDC. Cylinders that are directly opposed (e.g. cylinders 1 and 3 in my example) are never both at TDC or BDC at the same time.

ZV
 

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
49,404
11,592
136
Originally posted by: Zenmervolt
No, you don't understand. In my example when cylinder 1 is at TDC, cylinder 2 is at BDC. This is how almost every 4-cycle in-line two cylinder I have seen is set up.

As for boxer engines, you're blowing smoke. I have a boxer 4 in my car (1976 VW-Porsche 914). Cylinder arrangement is as follows:

FRONT

1 3
2 4

REAR

Cylinders 1 and 4 are both at TDC when cylinders 2 and 3 are at BDC. Cylinders that are directly opposed (e.g. cylinders 1 and 3 in my example) are never both at TDC or BDC at the same time.

ZV
Actually, I do understand.

First, look at the drawing on this page here.
Note how the opposing pistons are always at TDC together at the same time, then BDC together at the same time. This is how all horizontally-opposed engines are made.
See the pictures here

Second, VW and Porsche numbered the pistons for their old flat engines different that most other manufacturers. They did number them the way you showed above and the firing order was 1-4-3-2. Now you calculate piston positions based on that.

OTOH, Subaru numbers their flat 4 pistons like this:

FRONT

2 1
4 3

REAR

And the firing order is 1-3-2-4, which is just the opposite (because the VW's were rear-engine and the Subarus are front-engine).
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY