should I buy the RADEON 8500XT or wait

Visa2

Jun 22, 2002
I have Geforce 2 gts 32DDR and I think its time to change my card for a new one
I think that the RADEON 8500XT is one I want ,I don't like nvidia any more
so should I buy this card or wait for R300.

The_Lurker

Golden Member
Feb 20, 2000
You might want to wait for the R300. Since a R8500 XT probably wont run the next Gen games all too well (things like Doom III and Unreal 2). The R300 is the best bet for you to be playing the next gen games at good fps and high resolutions.

gregor7777

Platinum Member
Nov 16, 2001
Originally posted by: The_Lurker
You might want to wait for the R300. Since a R8500 XT probably wont run the next Gen games all too well (things like Doom III and Unreal 2). The R300 is the best bet for you to be playing the next gen games at good fps and high resolutions.

Surely you are bold for saying that and not considering budget, but are you.......................DARING????

I would consider the price tag for the R300 will be nothing to balk at before I tell anyone to wait to upgrade a sorry underperformer like the GTS.

LegionX

Jul 10, 2000
i want the gigabyte 8500 xt but cant find onyone in canada selling it :( anyone have a clue?

vitocorleone

Jul 6, 2001
rumor/speculation has it that the RV250 will be out in July and the R300 "late summer". so, if you don't need a card (i.e., it isn't fried or something), then you might consider waiting a little while longer.

Mingon

Diamond Member
Apr 2, 2000
The rv250 is likely to be barely quicker than the r200 (8500), so a 8500xt might be quicker than a rv250. But if you can afford a r300 go for it, but I think its going to need a beefy power supply and a decent Mobo to run the thing.

The_Lurker

Golden Member
Feb 20, 2000
Originally posted by: gregor7777

Surely you are bold for saying that and not considering budget, but are you.......................DARING????

I would consider the price tag for the R300 will be nothing to balk at before I tell anyone to wait to upgrade a sorry underperformer like the GTS.

hmm.... well... if he's getting the highest end R8500 XT now.. i doubt budget is too big a problem for him?

gregor7777

Platinum Member
Nov 16, 2001
Originally posted by: gregor7777

hmm.... well... if he's getting the highest end R8500 XT now.. i doubt budget is too big a problem for him?

Well, I took a quick look around and couldn't find any for sale, so I can't coment there but I would be willing to bet one would find that it isn't even in the R300's ballpark when it arrives and you won't see a price drop on the XT for awhile because it's so new.

But, time will tell. I guess like I said it really depends on what your budget has to say.