Should I buy a Wii for the Virtual Console?

jana519

Jul 12, 2014
I'm thinking of buying a Wii to access the classic games available in Nintendo's Virtual store. I can pick one up for around $50 on Craigslist. Looking to play NES, SNES, and GBA titles since I am on a nostalgic kick. Is this a good idea or are there any drawbacks to the Virtual Console? I haven't owned a Nintendo console since the N64, so I'm behind the times.

Last edited:

Tweak155

Lifer
Sep 23, 2003
It will work, but you'll also have to pick up the controller for it if I remember correctly.

Biggest drawback is that the purchases are tied to the console. If the console ever dies, I don't think you can recover your purchases.

When I bought the Wii U, my virtual console games transferred forward, but it's because I still had my console.

jana519

Jul 12, 2014
It will work, but you'll also have to pick up the controller for it if I remember correctly.

Biggest drawback is that the purchases are tied to the console. If the console ever dies, I don't think you can recover your purchases.

When I bought the Wii U, my virtual console games transferred forward, but it's because I still had my console.

Thank you! I had about 15 replies on Reddit, but NONE mentioned this. AT comes through with the clutch advice! :D

So being unfamiliar with the virtual console as I am, is it not like Steam where you have an account and can download a client to any PC? There is no log-in, it just stores everything locally, correct? This is very useful, thanks again.

Tweak155

Lifer
Sep 23, 2003
Thank you! I had about 15 replies on Reddit, but NONE mentioned this. AT comes through with the clutch advice! :D

So being unfamiliar with the virtual console as I am, is it not like Steam where you have an account and can download a client to any PC? There is no log-in, it just stores everything locally, correct? This is very useful, thanks again.

You have to get whatever they call the Nintendo account now (pretty sure it was renamed). The interface is only on their Wii and Wii U. Also, at least back when I actually used it, the games cost coins or some other currency you had to buy and THEN buy the game. Naturally you can't buy the exact amount of coins / points that one game costs usually.

There is a log-in but it saves the credentials. You can use that same login online on a PC but you won't be able to play any of the games.

Tweak155

Lifer
Sep 23, 2003
Actually I should say the way the points work out, if you're buying a number of games, I don't think it's likely you'll be able to buy the exact amount of points. A number of games workout to the exact number you can buy, but if you're buying quite a few of them, you'll probably need to buy more coins than games you want to buy.

nurturedhate

Golden Member
Aug 27, 2011
You have to get whatever they call the Nintendo account now (pretty sure it was renamed). The interface is only on their Wii and Wii U. Also, at least back when I actually used it, the games cost coins or some other currency you had to buy and THEN buy the game. Naturally you can't buy the exact amount of coins / points that one game costs usually.

There is a log-in but it saves the credentials. You can use that same login online on a PC but you won't be able to play any of the games.

It is no longer like that, at least on the Wii U. All the games have their listed prices; $4.99 for NES, $5.99-$7.99 for SNES/GB etc.

Tweak155

Lifer
Sep 23, 2003

nurturedhate

Golden Member
Aug 27, 2011
Oh, great. I haven't bought a game off there in years. I thought it was still that way because if you google virtual console Wii, it still shows the points packages on their own website.

EDIT:

This was the page I found:
http://en-americas-support.nintendo...es-it-cost-to-download-virtual-console-games?

Yea, that's pretty old, I don't think it's been that way since the original Wii.
Link to some games for the Wii U, you can see some of the NES games on the list: https://www.nintendo.com/games/game-guide#filter/wii_u|-|-|-|4.99|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|featured|des|-

tHa ShIzNiT

Platinum Member
Feb 15, 2000
Only problem I have with Virtual Console is there is no fast forward button. Thats a pretty handy addition when it comes to emulation.