Should I build my own media server or buy a NAS?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

velis

Jul 28, 2005
I don't get it. Why don't people use the same computer for HTPC and the media server? Why do they always have to be different computers? There's no difference since the computer already has to be always on and using a nice low power proc + gfx will yield you just about the same power usage than a dedicated el-cheapo NAS solution.
I have a nice setup in the Thermaltake DH-102. It can easily take 6 3.5" drives (currently 3) + a BD drive so it will serve as my file server for a while still. If I really wanted I suppose I could stuff it with up to 10 - 12 drives. Not to mention it has no hardware limits - all drives work at full tilt on my Gbit network.

obidamnkenobi

Golden Member
Sep 16, 2010
I don't get it. Why don't people use the same computer for HTPC and the media server? Why do they always have to be different computers? There's no difference since the computer already has to be always on and using a nice low power proc + gfx will yield you just about the same power usage than a dedicated el-cheapo NAS solution.
I have a nice setup in the Thermaltake DH-102. It can easily take 6 3.5" drives (currently 3) + a BD drive so it will serve as my file server for a while still. If I really wanted I suppose I could stuff it with up to 10 - 12 drives. Not to mention it has no hardware limits - all drives work at full tilt on my Gbit network.

oh god, I was so annoyed by the noise from the one mechanical HDD in my HTPC that I changed it for an SSD. The thought of 4-6+ of those in my living room is not pleasant. In a bachelor pad I'm sure that's fine, but my wife would not appreciate a loud 4 disk tower in our fancy media console (neither would I really).

I prefer a nice, quite micro atx HTPC, and a tower stuffed with disks in my basement to back up and stream media/photos etc. I should say I'm very easily bothered by noise (and clutter/ugly boxes in my living room), so if you're not having just one box is certainly cheaper and easier. Whatever works for you;)

velis

Jul 28, 2005
Well, I live in a flat so no basement options for me :D
Anyway, I to have the a SSD for primary disk in my HTPC. The rest of them are inaudible 5200RPM samsungs which could even spin down when not needed (99% of the time).
Processor cooling in my HTPC is a much louder affair than the disks and even that one is all but inaudible.

Miscthree

May 1, 2011
Chenbro ES34169 case
Zotac H55 miniITX mobo
i3

This is what I was going to build as my htpc before discovering the HP N36L microserver. The HP works amazingly well with w7 ultimate, serving up everything, XBMC, audiogalaxy, airvideo server, apache web server, FTP, etc etc. Quiet and low power. Only I wish it had a better CPU?? :(

Emulex

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2001
same as velis. paid $300 for the high end quad core/8g/geforce 430 in a newegg special htpc case included win7 ultimate (asus essentio). love it. can drive 3D full-resolution or 4K video as-is. so when that comes along this dinosaur quad core will be recording tv and rocking out to windows 8/9 etc. nas is downstairs to avoid noise. plus you really must understand STORAGE should be separated. subwoofers destroy hard drives (google it).