Question Should I acquire one new ethernet card (off board)?

Mahzinho

Sep 20, 2020
Main usage: financial market (stock market), that I want to "unload" CPU usage for network, so I would put all the efforts into the card (ethernet). A good solution?

iamgenius

Jun 6, 2008
What do you mean? How are you getting your internet connection? I assume that your pc is hooked via its NIC to some type of router. If you mean you will add another NIC in addition to the one that comes with your motherboard, then I don't really see why you want to do it. It is unnecessary.

JackMDS

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 25, 1999
Hmm.. in theory it will reduce a little the load on the CPU.

In reality you would Not really notice it.

That said, Ethernet catds are not expensive, so you can try...

:cool:

Reactions: mxnerd

mxnerd

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2007
As @JackMDS has pointed out, you probably won't notice anything when you offload some computation from CPU to ethernet card's ASIC IC, when nowadays CPUs are so powerful.

You can try if you have INTEL ethernet card or on board ethernet chip and you have INTEL PROSET driver installed.

ethernet offload.png

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
So your CPU is the bottleneck and you want to offload it by moving from onboard nic to add-in nic?
Am I getting this right?

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Calling @DAPUNISHER , for his experiences with using a 2.5GbE-T card with a RealTek 8125B (I think that's their 2.5 chipset) in it. Apparently, it has larger buffers than most onboard mobo RealTek LAN chipsets, and thus, improves performance. I don't really know how it compares to the Intel, other than the Intel 2.5GbE-T chipset, the earlier revs (I225V) have/had bugs.

fkoehler

Feb 29, 2008
Actually, the OP's question is not a bad question at all.

What kind of trading are you doing, simple day-trading, or more significant, high-speed trading?

OK, looks like you are in Brazil, on an X48 with a QX97xx?

Even with that dated system, I think you're broadband will hold you back the most, assuming you have an SSD and sufficient memory to disable swap.

Edit- Removed