Discussion Should Cyber Security experts and Psychologists work together to create an anti-social engineering software installable in the human mind.

Amol S.

Platinum Member
Mar 14, 2015
The title might make you think I am crazy. Software in the human mind? Has Amol now gone total nuts? However, I have not gone nuts and this might actually be a solution to a major problem of people being phished into believing alt-right conspiracy theories. Alt-right media outlets and websites have been known to hire psychologist in their team, and it is obvious they are hired to make sure that the information that is spread can be believed by the viewer or reader. It would take a person who understands reasoning to not fall for it.

Such acts done by these media outlets can be considered social engineering. Social engineering has long been known to be used by hackers to get credentials, and government spy agencies in their operations. But in the modern era, social engineering is being used more and more in the political world, and especially when it comes to alt-right media. Currently, passing any laws to fix this problem will most likely not happen in the foreseeable future. However a quick solution could be the ability for humans to voluntarily install anti-social engineering software into their mind.

This could be done by embedding a chip in the human mind. Scientists have already been able to make a chip react to the brain of a rat. In recent news, a chip has already been implanted into a human brain.

However this does raise the issue of cyber attacks happening onto the human mind via the chip. Thus there could be a possibility that this could end up being just a Pandora's Box.

Side Note: I put this in P&N because the purpose or idea involving this thread involves alt-right media's social engineering attacks.

• Haha
Reactions: repoman0

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
The title might make you think I am crazy. Software in the human mind? Has Amol now gone total nuts? However, I have not gone nuts and this might actually be a solution to a major problem of people being phished into believing alt-right conspiracy theories. Alt-right media outlets and websites have been known to hire psychologist in their team, and it is obvious they are hired to make sure that the information that is spread can be believed by the viewer or reader. It would take a person who understands reasoning to not fall for it.

Such acts done by these media outlets can be considered social engineering. Social engineering has long been known to be used by hackers to get credentials, and government spy agencies in their operations. But in the modern era, social engineering is being used more and more in the political world, and especially when it comes to alt-right media. Currently, passing any laws to fix this problem will most likely not happen in the foreseeable future. However a quick solution could be the ability for humans to voluntarily install anti-social engineering software into their mind.

This could be done by embedding a chip in the human mind. Scientists have already been able to make a chip react to the brain of a rat. In recent news, a chip has already been implanted into a human brain.

However this does raise the issue of cyber attacks happening onto the human mind via the chip. Thus there could be a possibility that this could end up being just a pandora's box.
Hey, baby steps. I'm just getting used to my rna getting new instructions from a vaccine.

Reactions: Tsinni Dave

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
We have a phrase for this in the IT community, it's a technical solution for a people problem. Spoiler alert, they tend to not work, or they're so stupid/inefficient that it'd be a whole lot easier to just deal with it via a people solution.

Reactions: pmv and blackangst1

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Why not create a social structure in which everyone is needed and find appreciation for what they contribute to others, where their basic needs for food clothing and shelter and self actualization are met. I think we might be very surprised to find how resistant people can be to bull shit who don't have any emotional needs for it. It might also be helpful to be naturally skeptical that anybody other than yourself or others also with no needs has anything to offer but expensive snake oil. You can also try walking around with your two middle fingers raised.

I'm going to wait till an AI tells me I hate myself and it can help me get past that but it will be expensive and it's going to hurt before I volunteer for an interface. :) I only know that people don't value what they don't pay for and the truth hurts.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Should Cyber Security experts and Psychologists work together to create an anti-social engineering software installable in the human mind.

Only if we can test the "Alpha" version on the OP exclusively. ;)

Last edited:

Tsinni Dave

Mar 1, 2022
The purpose of the rat experiment was basically eliciting a group think capability if I am not mistaken. The Borg, in essence. With rats. Good idea. And this is connected to a software filtering perceived reality how? It would have been great to be broadcasting my thoughts on sex and monogamy vs polyamourism all day today to every one at work. Spoiler - polyamourism won. I just saved you 9 hours of memories and sifting through feelings and mentally rewinding the good parts of me screwing your mom and her sister.

Zor Prime

Nov 7, 1999
Bruh you ain't gone nuts you're a certified fruitcake. There's this thing called free will, if you thought trying to get guns from the 2A crowd was difficult you'll be fighting otherwise pacifist liberals as well over this one.