Should churches pay taxes?

nerp

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2005
In this economy, would be a nice boost for cash-strapped municipalities. Perhaps at a lower rate. But it seems to me that tax exempt status for "churches" is questionable for a number of reasons. PILOT funds could be another option. But in a secular society, the govt shouldn't discriminate between property owners. Pay up.

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
HELL NO!

Churches do more good than any other organization and giving to them and allowing them to help others should be encouraged, not punished.

SuperSix

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Of course - it's a business like any other.

Will they? I doubt it- should they? Absolutely.

PurdueRy

Lifer
Nov 12, 2004
Originally posted by: spidey07
HELL NO!

Churches do more good than any other organization and giving to them and allowing them to help others should be encouraged, not punished.

MovingTarget

Diamond Member
Jun 22, 2003
Because some religions are by their very nature, organized, taxing them would amount to a tax on religion itself. This is just as bad as giving $$ to any religion, just on the opposite end of the spectrum. Besides, many operate on a non-profit status. Leave 'em alone. Try taxing pot or something - much more bang for your buck.

AreaCode707

Lifer
Sep 21, 2001
Church type person here. I'm actually overall not opposed to churches/religious organizations paying taxes (maybe take money that's serving a charitable purpose and keep that tax free, like feeding the hungry stuff.)

I could see it potentially infringing upon free exercise of religion though... what if you're the Jewish minority in a small town and you scrape together enough to pay a rabbi, but taxes would push it over the edge so you could no longer afford it? Kind of sketchy example but it's the one that comes to mind.

seemingly random

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2007
A church, etc, should have its tax exempt status revoked if it's not following the current laws, at the very least. This would include discussing and attempting to sway their audience politically.

Baseball shouldn't be tax exempt either.

FelixDeCat

Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
HELL NO!

Exactly. Atheists do not organize so they dont understand the nature of nonprofit charitable work churches do.

meltdown75

Lifer
Nov 17, 2004
seems laughable, as they don't really have any income (don't say anything about collection plates or donations you are a surely a troll and we can lock up the thread). furthermore, the land that they are on is not zoned for commercial or industrial activity.

it's a place of worship, not a business.

there are more exempt property types than you can possibly imagine, trust me on that laddy, i've worked in assessment for a decade.

if you're going to go after places of worship ("churches" isn't broad enough of a term in this case, you must include all places of worship - mosques, shrines, temples etc), what's next? parks? cemeteries? why don't we just tax homeless shelters?

a clue. get one. i have a feeling you're just pulling the ole religious troll anyway, but i decided to give you the time of day. it's STFU time.

JS80

Lifer
Oct 24, 2005
If church's pay taxes then all non-profits should pay taxes and the government should pay taxes too.

RESmonkey

Diamond Member
May 6, 2007
HELL YES!

Some churches do good for the world, but organized religion is a backwards practice and spreads stupidity. Stupidity is dangerous. Some churches are also very much like businesses. They should be taxed.

Howard

Lifer
Oct 14, 1999
Originally posted by: FelixDeKat
HELL NO!

Exactly. Atheists do not organize so they dont understand the nature of nonprofit charitable work churches do.
What about every non-religious organization?

RESmonkey

Diamond Member
May 6, 2007
Originally posted by: Howard
HELL NO!

What about every non-religious organization?

As long as it doesn't spread false ideas that people take to be true, it's fine.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
I don't have a problem with their tax free status as long as they stay out of politics. Once they start lobbying, they lose the tax exemption status.

S

SlitheryDee

Once they get to be a certain size they should. Churches that demand a certain percentage of their parishioners' earnings should as well.

Little country churches that demand nothing but receive enough to stay in operation AND give to the community simply because of the kindness of their members? No.

JS80

Lifer
Oct 24, 2005
HELL NO!

Scientology.

So

Lifer
Jul 2, 2001
HELL NO!

Wouldn't churches be able to simply spin their charitable work off into an NPO, and then write off donations to the NPO on their taxes? Churches that spend all or nearly all of their net income on charitable contributions will pay no taxes and megachurches that are in it for a profit will die on the vine.

Seems like a win (the charities) / win (the public) / win (churchgoers whose good names are being ruined by megachurches and pushy fundies)

RESmonkey

Diamond Member
May 6, 2007
Originally posted by: JS80
HELL NO!

Scientology.

Atheists are not Scientologists. Do you even know what the word "atheism" means?

So

Lifer
Jul 2, 2001
HELL NO!

Scientology.

Did you just call scientologists atheists? They're as religious as Catholics.

meltdown75

Lifer
Nov 17, 2004
talk to your local government if you want change. go talk to your municipality about taxing "churches". i only ask that you please post a thread about it, so i can laugh in there too. dumbasses.

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
I think certain churches (very few I would imagine, but some) operate more as a business than solely as a place of worship/charitable organization. I think those particular churches should be classified as businesses and taxed as such, with any charitable work they do remaining tax exempt. All normal places of worship, which is probably about 95% of the churches out there, should remain tax exempt as they are not revenue generators and forcing them to act as such could steer their focus from helping people/communities to more self-serving pursuits.

KT

Baked

Lifer
Dec 28, 2004
HELL NO!

You mean like dumping millions on anti-gay campaigns to sway votes in another state instead of using that money to help people who actually who need it in 3rd world countries? I still see a lot of hungry and sick people in refugee camps in Africa. Shouldn't that anti-gay money go to help those people instead? When a church gets political, they should have their tax exempt status revoke and IRS auditors on their asses collecting back taxes.

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
Originally posted by: So
HELL NO!

Scientology.

Did you just call scientologists atheists? They're as religious as Catholics.

Yea these religious people are funny. They only accept religions that believe what they believe and nothing else. Another religion comes up that is totally different and it's automatically a cult. These people really need to go over the bible again.